Is God the Creator of reality?

Is God the Creator of reality?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
24 May 05

Originally posted by royalchicken
Let's try something else then. You claim 'All things exist' -- I don't see the problem with Dr. S's argument, but we don't really need to do anything as constructive as that. Just show me an even prime greater than 2 or an element of the empty set and I'll be satisfied that all things exist.
see my answer to cribs

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
24 May 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Coletti
Nothing is a concept. And concepts, just like Pi and 2 exist.

So the concept of nothing has the property of existence. Otherwise you could not say that "nothing is an even prime number greater than 2" because that would be false. (or nonsense)
Another thing that does not exist is my limitless capacity for wasting time debating claims that I have already demonstrated analytically, especially with those who lack a rudimentary grasp of language and logic, and who equivocate on the term "nothing." Due to this nonexistent abundance of patience, I will have to withdraw from this debate, lest I find myself a victim of an inescapable contradiction like anybody who claims that A is true.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
24 May 05
2 edits

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Another thing that does not exist is my limitless capacity for wasting time debating claims that I have already demonstrated analytically, especially with those who lack a rudimentary grasp and language and logic, and who equivocate ...[text shortened]... inescapable contradiction like anybody who claims that A is true.
Spoken like a true loser. I am disappointed.

Existence is a predicate of all things. The only thing that would appear to be contradict this is the concept of nothing. But even the concept of nothing (the null set) is a concept that exists. We can thing about things like "is there an even prime number greater than 2" because we can say the "nothing" is an "even prime number greater then 2". And if nothing is something because nothing is "an even prime number greater than two" then nothing has existence.

Existence is. Well everything is. The question is not what exists, but what can be predicated to that thing.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
24 May 05

Nothing is a concept. And concepts, just like Pi and 2 exist.

So the concept of nothing has the property of existence. Otherwise you could not say that "nothing is an even prime number greater than 2" because that would be false. (or nonsense)
We can say anything we like about nonexistent things provided we don't assert that they exist. For example, I can, without fear of contradiction, say that all even primes greater than 2 are odd or that all elements of the empty set are Calvinists, but I can not say that there exists a Calvinist who is an element of the empty set.

However, if 'nothing' is a concept, let the concept of 'nothing' be denoted by N to avoid bringing any unintended connotations is. Saying that 'every even prime greater than 2 is N' is fine, but saying that 'N is an even prime greater than 2' is equivalent to asserting tht N doesn't exist. So if you make the quoted statement you did, you are asserting that the concept of 'nothing' does not exist. Which is it?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
24 May 05

Spoken like a true looser. I am disapointed.
Another thing that does not exist is the English noun "looser."

And yet another, the English adjective "disapointed."

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
24 May 05
1 edit

We can say anything we like about nonexistent things provided we don't assert that they exist. For example, I can, without fear of contradiction, say that all even primes greater than 2 are odd or that all elements of the empty set a ...[text shortened]... ting that the concept of 'nothing' does not exist. Which is it?
So you would say the

N is an even prime greater than 2 = N does not exist?

Not true. N is nothing. But N exists because it is a concept. If we can not think about "nothing" we could not think about empty sets.

Nothing is the null set that hold things like "even prime numbers greater then 2."

N is something so N exists.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
24 May 05

So you would say the

N is an even prime greater than 2 = N does not exist?

Not true. N is nothing. But N exists because it is a concept. If we can not think about "nothing" we could not think about empty sets.

Nothing is the null set that hold things like "even prime numbers greater then 2."

N is something so N exists.
'N is an even prime greater than 2' implies that 'N does not exist'. If you accept the premise that 'N is an even prime greater than 2' and reject the conclusion that N does not exist, then you either must accept that there is an even prime greater than 2 or you have committed a contradiction.

N is 'nothing'. If you claim that 'N exists', then you either commit the above contradiction, or you reject the premise that 'N is an even prime greater than 2'. I agree with the notion that 'N exists', which is why I conclude that one cannot say 'nothing is an even prime greater than 2'. Instead, if necessary, I say 'there does not exist an even prime greater than two' or 'there are exactly 0 even primes greater than 2' or '2 is the only even prime'.

I haven't disputed that N exists, I've only said that if you accept the above premise, you cannot accept that N exists. I don't accept that premise, though, so I can comfortably agree with you that N exists.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
24 May 05

'N is an even prime greater than 2' implies that 'N does not exist'. If you accept the premise that 'N is an even prime greater than 2' and reject the conclusion that N does not exist, then you either must accept that there is an even prime greater than 2 or you have committed a contradiction.

N is 'nothing'. If you claim that 'N exists', ...[text shortened]... xists. I don't accept that premise, though, so I can comfortably agree with you that N exists.

No that is not a contradiction. N does exist because N is is an even prime greater than 2. If N does not exist, then you can not say N is is an even prime greater than 2. You could not say "nothing is is an even prime greater than 2 because nothing does not exist in your world. You can not use a nonexistent concept.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
24 May 05

[b]'N is an even prime greater than 2' implies that 'N does not exist'. If you accept the premise that 'N is an even prime greater than 2' and reject the conclusion that N does not exist, then you either must accept that there is an even prime greater than 2 or you have committed a contradiction.

No that is not a contradiction. N does exist be ...[text shortened]... er than 2 because nothing does not exist in your world. You can not use a nonexistent concept.
[/b]
Do you agree that we have used the concept of an even prime number greater than 2?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
24 May 05

No that is not a contradiction. N does exist because N is is an even prime greater than 2. If N does not exist, then you can not say N is is an even prime greater than 2. You could not say "nothing is is an even prime greater than 2 because nothing does not exist in your world. You can not use a nonexistent concept.
Is there some reason you keep saying "is is"??

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
24 May 05

Do you agree that we have used the concept of an even prime number greater than 2?
Yes. And the concept exists.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
24 May 05

Yes. And the concept exists.

Please explain that.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
24 May 05

Please explain that.
We have taked about something. If there was no concept, we could not have spoken about it. So the concept (an even prime number greater than two) exists.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
24 May 05

We have taked about something. If there was no concept, we could not have spoken about it. So the concept (an even prime number greater than two) exists.
There is an ambiguity or I am a bit thick -- am I meant to read that sentence as 'an even prime number greater than 2 exists'?

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
24 May 05

There is an ambiguity or I am a bit thick -- am I meant to read that sentence as 'an even prime number greater than 2 exists'?
Think of it as half of a proposition in logical form. Any proposition can be written in one of the forms: All A is B, No A is B, Some A is B, Some A is not B.

"An even Prime number greater than 2" is half the proposition. In this case it is the predicate or B side.

"Nothing" is the A or subject side.

(Nothing) is (an even prime number greater than 2)