Is god just a myth or a way to control people?

Is god just a myth or a way to control people?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
23 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by josephw
If God is a concept invented by man then nothing really matters.
If I could unequivocally show you tomorrow that God doesn't exist, would your family still matter to you? Or perhaps you'd be willing to take an axe to them?

[edit; my point is that "meaning" exists independently of God, not "because" of God.]

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
23 Jun 07

Originally posted by checkbaiter
You may be on to something here. We have all evolved from some slime. Our lives are purely accidental and have no meaning except to eat, drink and be merry.😀
And melodrama, don't forget melodrama.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
23 Jun 07

You may be on to something here. We have all evolved from some slime. Our lives are purely accidental and have no meaning except to eat, drink and be merry.😀
Actually, I think you'll find the meaning of life has nothing to do with you at all.
You are only a vessel for your DNA and your DNA only wants to survive.

That's it. All the rest is just a pleasurable side-effect.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 Jun 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
If I could unequivocally show you tomorrow that God doesn't exist, would your family still matter to you? Or perhaps you'd be willing to take an axe to them?

[edit; my point is that "meaning" exists independently of God, not "because" of God.]
Within the context of this forum life has no meaning without God.

JE

Moves
23 Jun 07

So? Does it need one?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
23 Jun 07

Rubbish.

Like I said. If I could prove God doesn't exist, would you value your family one less bit??

I think not.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Jun 07

Rubbish.

Like I said. If I could prove God doesn't exist, would you value your family one less bit??

I think not.
If you could prove God does not exist could you get another to
value yours more?
Kelly

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
23 Jun 07

It is odd(but not to me) that since God was "kicked out" of the schools and public in general, teen pregnancy is up, as well as crime and immorality. I read this a few times. Have to see if I can find the stats and the source.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
23 Jun 07

It is odd(but not to me) that since God was "kicked out" of the schools and public in general, teen pregnancy is up, as well as crime and immorality. I read this a few times. Have to see if I can find the stats and the source.
Actually , there is a book entitled "Thinkanomics" that made an exhaustive study of crime and statistics and determined that the lessening of crime in the US in the 90's was due to abortion.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Jun 07

Originally posted by kirksey957
Actually , there is a book entitled "Thinkanomics" that made an exhaustive study of crime and statistics and determined that the lessening of crime in the US in the 90's was due to abortion.
🙂 I guess we can find a study to blame anything we want.
Kelly

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
25 Jun 07

Yes, the increase in intellectual freedom is terrible.

Whilst we're at it, let's bring back public beheadings.

s

Moves
28 Jun 07

We can thank our lucky stars you,re not in power then. All those headless people running around, no thank you. We have enough headless chickens as it is running the show here on planet earth.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
28 Jun 07

Originally posted by steponup
We can thank our lucky stars you,re not in power then. All those headless people running around, no thank you. We have enough headless chickens as it is running the show here on planet earth.
Ye gods.

Please, lookup the word "sarcasm" would you. 😞

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Jun 07

Ye gods.

Please, lookup the word "sarcasm" would you. 😞
Isn't if funny how two people can read the exact same words and come out with an entirely differant take on what was said.....

n

Moves
29 Jun 07

Originally posted by sonhouse
Isn't if funny how two people can read the exact same words and come out with an entirely differant take on what was said.....
I could say the same about the bible.