Is everything a cult?

Is everything a cult?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
18 Jul 05

Originally posted by Coletti
Thy usually boast of having some secret knowledge that only members may know.
Yep. That's what my Christian friends fall back on when they cannot refute my understanding of the Bible through rigorous textual exegesis: "you just need to be filled with the Holy Spirit in order to understand."

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
18 Jul 05

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Yep. That's what my Christian friends fall back on when they cannot refute my understanding of the Bible through rigorous textual exegesis: "you just need to be filled with the Holy Spirit in order to understand."
That happens to me also. It's like a nazi telling you that you just don't understand the fine points of being a racist untill you join the club. Of course it sounds crazy from the outside, but if you would just sign up the truth could be revealed. It's insane.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
18 Jul 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Wulebgr
You (and maybe your friends also) are confusing knowledge with understanding. There is no secrets in Christianity - all you need is found in Scripture. But the HS may help clarify the understanding - but he does not add additional propositions to the Scriptures.

But even if you understood the gospel completely - that does not mean you'd believe it true.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
18 Jul 05

Originally posted by Coletti
You (and maybe your friends also) are confusing knowledge with understanding. There is no secrets in Christianity - all you need is found in Scripture. But the HS may help clarify the understanding - but he does not add additional propositions to the Scriptures.

But even if you understood the gospel completely - that does not mean you'd believe it true.
Understanding is an aspect of knowledge, not a separate function. Asserting that the Holy Spirit is needed for such understanding fits well with an important element in your definition of a cult.

I am not accusing you of making such an assertion, but was noting that it is habitual for some Christians. Perhaps any truly effective definition of a cult must acknowledge that any religion may serve to engender cultist behavior in some individuals.

Better definitions have already been presented, however.

The anthropological/historical definition sees all religious groups as fitting the criteria. The orthodox Christian definition, on the other hand, limits usage to groups guilty of egregious errors in doctrine. Only the latter is a cause for substantial argument.