Is Anything wrong with my logic?

Is Anything wrong with my logic?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maryland

Moves
20 Dec 10

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Your logic falters at "If god were a baseball player".
How so? If god could not play baseball, how much else could he do?

Moves
20 Dec 10

Originally posted by 667joe
Thomas Edison was an atheist. I agree with him that we know very little of the overall picture, but there is absolutely no proof of god. How people claim to know what god wants is even more amazing.
Once again your logic falters. You agree that you know very little, and right after that you categorically state that there is no proof of God. You should rather say that based on the limited knowledge YOU have, there is nothing that YOU will accept as proof of God.

Maryland

Moves
20 Dec 10

Originally posted by dj2becker
Once again your logic falters. You agree that you know very little, and right after that you categorically state that there is no proof of God. You should rather say that based on the limited knowledge YOU have, there is nothing that YOU will accept as proof of God.
You are wrong. If there were real proof of god, I would believe it. So far though, no one has provided it. You, on the other hand are in a much weaker position. You apparently believe in something without proof!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Dec 10

You are wrong. If there were real proof of god, I would believe it. So far though, no one has provided it. You, on the other hand are in a much weaker position. You apparently believe in something without proof!
Really? Putting aside the issue of proof of God, are you claiming the power to comprehend every proof?

Maryland

Moves
20 Dec 10

Originally posted by Conrau K
Really? Putting aside the issue of proof of God, are you claiming the power to comprehend every proof?
Of course not. But, if there were absolute proof of the existence of god, it should be explainable even to some one as simple as I. I would like to believe in god and eternal life, but not without real proof. I am afraid this is the only life we have, and the only meaning of life is what we make it. I would rather face the cold hard truth than live a life in delusion.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Dec 10
1 edit

Of course not. But, if there were absolute proof of the existence of god, it should be explainable even to some one as simple as I. I would like to believe in god and eternal life, but not without real proof. I am afraid this is the only life we have, and the only meaning of life is what we make it. I would rather face the cold hard truth than live a life in delusion.
Why is that? Why should a proof for the existence of God be less complicated than any other proof? Godel's proof for the existence of God is possibly just as complicated as his proofs of consistency and completeness. If anything, because debates about the existence of God are so heavily interdisciplinary, drawing on philosophy, history and science too, any putative proof of the existence of God would likely be very difficult to understand.

Maryland

Moves
21 Dec 10

Why is that? Why should a proof for the existence of God be less complicated than any other proof? Godel's proof for the existence of God is possibly just as complicated as his proofs of consistency and completeness. If anything, because debates about the existence of God are so heavily interdisciplinary, drawing on philosophy, history and science too, any putative proof of the existence of God would likely be very difficult to understand.
Rather like a house of cards! I will stack Christopher Hitchens against any snake oil salesman you might come up with.

Moves
21 Dec 10

You are begging the question. How could you possibly have examined all the proof with your limited knowledge?

On the other hand though, you are happy making conclusions about my beliefs with what proof?

Maryland

Moves
21 Dec 10

Originally posted by dj2becker
You are begging the question. How could you possibly have examined all the proof with your limited knowledge?

On the other hand though, you are happy making conclusions about my beliefs with what proof?
You ,sir, have the bbburden of proof, not I!

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
21 Dec 10
5 edits

Actually, since you take the strong atheist stance that there is no god
(as opposed to the weak atheist stance where you'd simply fail to believe there is a god without actually asserting it's non-existence or impossibility)
the burden of proof lies equally upon your shoulders as it does dj2becker's.

Similarly if I claim the tooth fairy does not exist, the burden is upon me (if challenged on it) to prove
a) All references to "tooth fairy" are merely representatives of one unique notion of "tooth fairy" (dealing with "the" in "the tooth fairy" )
b) this 'notion' has no physical or metaphysical manifestation.
(beyond the material configuration of the brain of those who are thinking about "the tooth fairy" )

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Dec 10

Rather like a house of cards! I will stack Christopher Hitchens against any snake oil salesman you might come up with.
I have no idea what you are talking about. What snake oil salesman? Kurt Godel? The most celebrated logician of the past century, next to Witgenstein and Russell? You really are crazy.

There was a serious point here, why the proof of God should be simple, but once again you fail to address the point. Logical argument is clearly beyond you.

Maryland

Moves
21 Dec 10

I have no idea what you are talking about. What snake oil salesman? Kurt Godel? The most celebrated logician of the past century, next to Witgenstein and Russell? You really are crazy.

There was a serious point here, why the proof of God should be simple, but once again you fail to address the point. Logical argument is clearly beyond you.
Ad hominem attacks display the weakness of your position. Be quiet or prove to me there is a god! Thank you.

Moves
21 Dec 10

You are the one making the claims. I am merely sceptical of your strong atheism, and since this thread is about YOUR logic (or lack thereof), I am simply pointing out your logical fallacies. I personally have made no claims for the existence of god on this thread. Hence the burden of proof is on you.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Dec 10

Ad hominem attacks display the weakness of your position. Be quiet or prove to me there is a god! Thank you.
Firstly, I have not used any ad hominem. Secondly, I am not arguing that there is a proof for the existence of God. I do not believe that there actually is one. What I dispute here is your claim that any such proof would be immediately comprehensible and universally known. As I said, you clearly don't know how to argue a case. Logical argument is beyond you.

Maryland

Moves
21 Dec 10

Firstly, I have not used any ad hominem. Secondly, I am not arguing that there is a proof for the existence of God. I do not believe that there actually is one. What I dispute here is your claim that any such proof would be immediately comprehensible and universally known. As I said, you clearly don't know how to argue a case. Logical argument is beyond you.
Finally you admit my position regarding the existence of god is correct. Thank you very much. I know it was hard for you to admit I am correct, and I want to thank you sincerely. I will overlook the petulant tone of your remarks.