I'm thinking of giving up being religious

I'm thinking of giving up being religious

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
05 Aug 09
2 edits

Originally posted by barstudd
[b]If we don't think critically about belief systems, then what stops us from adopting a bad one? Thinking critically is a bad one.

Isn't is just being gullible to accept stuff without really thinking about it?how many different ways would you like to think about it, millions of different opinions, but only gods way is the right way.[/b]
What do you think the term "Critical Thinking" means? Hint: It's not a belief system at all.

If, by "God's way", you mean following an omnipotent, omniscient, loving God who created a world full of suffering, death and tragedy, then half-arsedly attempted to redeem it - I think it's ridiculous to call this 'right'.

d

Moves
05 Aug 09

Originally posted by SwissGambit
What do you think the term "Critical Thinking" means? Hint: It's not a belief system at all.

If, by "God's way", you mean the usual tale of an omnipotent, omniscient, loving God creating a world full of suffering, death and tragedy, then half-arsedly attempting to redeem it - I think it's ridiculous to call this the 'right' way.
God is PERFECT!

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
05 Aug 09

Originally posted by daniel58
God is PERFECT!
Woohoo! πŸ˜›

b
dinky-di Aussie

Australia

Moves
05 Aug 09

Originally posted by bbarr
My sincere search for the truth has lead me to philosophy and meditation. Neither form of inquiry has given me any reason to think believe God exists. In fact, both of these forms of inquiry have given me reason to think that theistic belief is intellectually impoverished at best, and perniciously childish at worst. I do, however, appreciate your concern. I ...[text shortened]... s and with sustained intellectual rigor, so that you can free yourself of myth and superstition.
nobody can help you if you dont, all that we can do is pray for you to find the truth...if you choose to store all your treasures here then that is your choice.

T

Moves
05 Aug 09

are you a christian
I wouldn't think that that's germane to the question, but by and large, I believe in the teachings of Jesus.

b
dinky-di Aussie

Australia

Moves
05 Aug 09
2 edits

Originally posted by SwissGambit

If, by "God's way", you mean following an omnipotent, omniscient, loving God who created a world full of suffering, death and tragedy, then half-arsedly attempted to redeem it - I think it's ridiculous to call this 'right'.
he gave you the opportunity to show your own faith, if you do not have faith then you can not enter the kingdom of god... which amongst your own self centred opinions here you clearly do not have faith.
I say it again it is our opinions that will block us from truth, if we believe and worship in our own opinions then we will never be able to accept the truth.

that stuff about critical thinking is mumbo jumbo talk.

while people like yourself choose to not to believe, and continue to argue the point that your opinions are right there is no wonder suffering exists.

b
dinky-di Aussie

Australia

Moves
05 Aug 09

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
I wouldn't think that that's germane to the question, but by and large, I believe in the teachings of Jesus.
Have you given your heart to the lord?

T

Moves
05 Aug 09

Is there a reason why you aren't addressing my post?

b
dinky-di Aussie

Australia

Moves
06 Aug 09

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Is there a reason why you aren't addressing my post?
you want me to argue your opinion,
is there a reason you didnt answer have you given your heart to the lord.

rc

Moves
06 Aug 09
1 edit

how do you give your heart to the Lord? i thought that taking in knowledge of the Christ and God was the key?

(John 17:3) . . .This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.

d

Moves
06 Aug 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
how do you give your heart to the Lord? i thought that taking in knowledge of the Christ and God was the key?

(John 17:3) . . .This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.
No not exactly, it's about love, besides God already knows about you.

rc

Moves
06 Aug 09

No not exactly, it's about love, besides God already knows about you.
yes Daniel it is about love, but love is a motivating force, therefore the love of the Christ and love of God should compel us to take in accurate knowledge just as the scripture indicates, should it not?

d

Moves
06 Aug 09

yes Daniel it is about love, but love is a motivating force, therefore the love of the Christ and love of God should compel us to take in accurate knowledge just as the scripture indicates, should it not?
Exactly.

rc

Moves
06 Aug 09

Exactly.
thankyou for your kindness and direction, for if the righteous one was to strike me, it would be as honey to my lips, wrote the psalmist! πŸ™‚

b
dinky-di Aussie

Australia

Moves
06 Aug 09

Thats right, your accepting the lord is not going to come from anyone else but from you, others can tell you about it...must come from you...from your mouth,.

Point A = Non Believer....point B = Believer
Like a road map, you have to believe the people who designed the map and the information in it, if you didnt believe in it then you wouldnt use the map in the first place.
So you actually have to pick the map up and read it, look at it and believe in it so it can get you to the right place.

but then you still cant actually get to the right place until you apply yourself, so you have to start moving forward, if you dont go forward then the map itself is not gonna get you to where you need to go...not much use just sitting there making a lot of noise revving the motor, take the car out of park put into drive then you begin to see the map is actually helping you get to where you need to go., then if you miss a turn off no need to blame the map, as it can help you get back on track again.