If you were God?

If you were God?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by Nemesio
Er. I'd be interested in reviewing the 'lot of evidence' for this.

I have a sneaky suspiscion that the amount of evidence is
probably comparable to the 'lots of evidence' for the fact that
He died and rose. That is, a few dated anecdotal accounts.

What is your source for the 'lot of monastaries' dating to the
time of Jesus? I've never heard of ...[text shortened]... formed,
but, I'm opened to reviewing your sources, if you can provide them.

Nemesio
Bump for sonhouse

j

Moves
01 Sep 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Tel is right. This is off topic.
I have a thread going on a Simple Way to Experience Christ.

You asked a question way out of topic on gay marriage.

How come you're so strict with me but so easy on scottishinnz?

F

Moves
01 Sep 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
So your Officer Friend accomplished his "primary duty" to his 4 year old son by leaving his gun out? I hope you don't have any kids or electrical outlets.
I have 6 and plenty of electrical outlets and guns for that matter.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
01 Sep 06

Originally posted by jaywill
Uh. Is this question directed at me? Because you quoted Scottishinnz's reply to Telerion
when you made your comment.

I don't think I addressed Scottishinnz in this thread at all. In fact, I questioned sonhouse's
spurious claims about early Christianity.

Nemesio

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
01 Sep 06

I have a thread going on a Simple Way to Experience Christ.

You asked a question way out of topic on gay marriage.

No I didn't. Feel free to get your facts in order, before making accusations.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
01 Sep 06

Originally posted by FischerMH
You have kids and guns in the same household?! Are you insane or just plain stupid?!?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
01 Sep 06

Originally posted by Nemesio
Uh. Is this question directed at me? Because you quoted Scottishinnz's reply to Telerion
when you made your comment.

I don't think I addressed Scottishinnz in this thread at all. In fact, I questioned sonhouse's
spurious claims about early Christianity.

Nemesio
It's just because I'm such a cordial chap, huh Nem?

Also, I guess, the fact that I rarely make unverifiable claims, such as the existance of God, or completely write off entire fields of study, such as biology, geology etc, because they don't agree with how I'd like the world to be.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
01 Sep 06

You idiot!
Your primary duty for your kids is to prepare them to be independent adults - not to kill them or to prepare them for heaven!

Hmmm . . .

Moves
01 Sep 06

One of the problems with man is that without the theological virtue of hope, life is limited to the natural. Thus, evil is defined as anything that harms man or nature in this life, without consideration of the next life.

For example, take a friend of mine. He is a police officer. Two years ago, his 4 year old son found his gun and shot and killed hi ...[text shortened]... in fact merciful.

Again, until man can create anything, he should not presume to judge God.
One of the problems with man is that without the theological virtue of hope, life is limited to the natural.

I fail to see this as a “problem.” If life is limited to the natural realm, then that is the way it is—like it or not—and hope in an “afterlife” would be both fanciful and futile.

However, I can see that belief or hope in an afterlife might be helpful in assuaging grief at the death of a loved one. But neither the hope nor its therapeutic effects make it true. Lots of us deal with such griefs without such hope; we simply find other ways.

I respect the therapeutic value of some religious beliefs, as well as the aesthetic value. But they are not accessible to me. You might find that unfortunate, but it is not a “problem.” When someone I love dies, I grieve—and I grieve hard—and then, eventually, I let them go. And I value the lives of others because of its transience; you might say I turn my face back to the world in which others are living because I realize that their time too, and mine, is short.

Again, until man can create anything, he should not presume to judge God.

I don’t judge God—I don’t believe there is such a being to judge. I don’t judge the natural universe either, because it is not laid out the way I might wish it. I simply do my best within that universe as it is given.

j

Moves
01 Sep 06
2 edits

Originally posted by scottishinnz
No I didn't. Feel free to get your facts in order, before making accusations.
It wasn't you?

My apologies.

Anyway, I see no need invoke the Off Topic defense. Do we need to start a new thread for every little variation in the discussion?

It is a "If you're superior to God then ...?" question right along the flow of this thread.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
01 Sep 06

Originally posted by vistesd
However, I can see that belief or hope in an afterlife might be helpful in assuaging grief at the death of a loved one. But neither the hope nor its therapeutic effects make it true. Lots of us deal with such griefs without such hope; we simply find other ways.

I respect the therapeutic value of some religious beliefs, as well as the aesthetic value. But they are not accessible to me. You might find that unfortunate, but it is not a “problem.” When someone I love dies, I grieve—and I grieve hard—and then, eventually, I let them go. And I value the lives of others because of its transience; you might say I turn my face back to the world in which others are living because I realize that their time too, and mine, is short.

Beautiful. Just beautiful. It bears repeating for its' eloquence.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
01 Sep 06

It wasn't you?

My apologies.

Anyway, I see no need invoke the Off Topic defense. Do we need to start a new thread for every little variation in the discussion?

It is a "If you're superior to God then ...?" question right along the flow of this thread.
Jay, if some one tried to hijack your thread with an off-topic post, you should have called them on it. Your failure to do so is of no consequence here.

As currently formulated, your question has next to nothing to do with the discussion. Now perhaps if you rephrased it, it would be okay. For example, "By what standard do we judge one creation from the another?" That would make sense; however, subjectively assigning your mental idol's morality an integer on the interval [1,10] is

1) Boring
2) Ignores all the arguments presented (theist and atheist alike) in this thread
3) Has nothing to do with the opening post

I will entertain it no longer. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a dissertation topic to propose in 2 hours.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
01 Sep 06

Another one of my hopes dashed, if people on the internet can be believed. Obviously the Officer Friend incident has a different meaning to you then it would to (hopefully) most parents.

F

Moves
01 Sep 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
Another one of my hopes dashed, if people on the internet can be believed. Obviously the Officer Friend incident has a different meaning to you then it would to (hopefully) most parents.
Families have had both guns and kids without kids killing themselves. One has to be prudent. In today's society, I think being unarmed is presents more of a danger, than having guns.

F

Moves
01 Sep 06

Originally posted by amannion
You idiot!
Your primary duty for your kids is to prepare them to be independent adults - not to kill them or to prepare them for heaven!
My primary duty as a father is to raise good holy kids that will get to heaven. Their life on earth is secondary. If they die and go to hell, then their lives have been wasted no matter what worldly success they attain.

You are the one who lacks intelligence. You put all your faith in a world that ends at death. It is truly sad that so many reject God, in favor of the world. Especially since most of our lives are a struggle at best.