If you obey my commands

If you obey my commands

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Dec 16

Originally posted by Rajk999
Of course. How do Christians love God or love Christ? Can you explain that?

Love has nothing to do with what you say but it is all about actions.
So an atheist that has read the Bible and rejected Jesus as Lord, can simultaneously love God with all their heart? 🙄

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Dec 16

Originally posted by Pudgenik
I like to think all things are possible. I ve had the pleasure to meet some wonderful people in my lifetime. I have a close friend of mine who has never been much of a bible thumper, infact I doubt he has ever read it. yet of all my friends, I have never met anyone so selfless. When he sees trouble, he jumps right in with no care about himself. I have heard ...[text shortened]... and when the moment is over, he is back to his usual - partying and finding a lady for the night
“All things are possible to him who believes!” Mark 9:23

E

Moves
13 Dec 16

Originally posted by Pudgenik
I like to think all things are possible. I ve had the pleasure to meet some wonderful people in my lifetime. I have a close friend of mine who has never been much of a bible thumper, infact I doubt he has ever read it. yet of all my friends, I have never met anyone so selfless. When he sees trouble, he jumps right in with no care about himself. I have heard ...[text shortened]... and when the moment is over, he is back to his usual - partying and finding a lady for the night
Do not fool yourself, the sexually immoral will not inherit the kingdom of heaven.

T

Moves
13 Dec 16
2 edits

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
So an atheist that has read the Bible and rejected Jesus as Lord, can simultaneously love God with all their heart? 🙄
John 14
21“He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”

Jesus makes it very clear that the one who has HIs commandments and KEEPS them is the one who loves Him. The one who loves Him with all his heart.

You continue to show that YOU don't believe Jesus. As such, you continue to show that YOU reject Jesus as Lord.

E

Moves
13 Dec 16

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
John 14
21“He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”

Jesus makes it very clear that the one who has HIs commandments and KEEPS them is the one who loves Him. The one who loves Him with all his heart.

You co ...[text shortened]... show that YOU don't believe Jesus. As such, you continue to show that YOU reject Jesus as Lord.
Commands or command?

T

Moves
13 Dec 16

Originally posted by Eladar
Commands or command?
The key here is KEEPS

E

Moves
13 Dec 16
1 edit

The key here is KEEPS
You can keep some commands and not others and not keep Christ's commands. If that is the case and you are hoping to get there with your good works alone, you fail.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Dec 16
1 edit

Commands or command?
The point you seem to be missing is that not one is capable of keeping all his commands all of the time, hence no one can be saved by their own efforts. If you break one command you are guilty of all.

E

Moves
13 Dec 16

The point you seem to be missing is that not one is capable of keeping all his commands all of the time, hence no one can be saved by their own efforts.
If they follow all of the commands it is possible they have them written on their heart. If so, then it is possible that someone can be saved I'd guess.

Since liberals pick and choose which sins to recognize as sin and which to ignore, they will always fall short of following God's commands.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Dec 16
2 edits

If they follow all of the commands it is possible they have them written on their heart. If so, then it is possible that someone can be saved I'd guess.

Since liberals pick and choose which sins to recognize as sin and which to ignore, they will always fall short of following God's commands.
If humans were capable of living up to the standards required by God, Jesus would not have needed to die on the cross. The point is we all fall short of the glory of God, from the best of us to the worst of us. If we could save ourselves by our own efforts Jesus wouldn't have needed to die for us to redeem us. Unless we accept what Jesus did for us and have faith in what he did for us, we are lost. All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. That still doesn't mean if we have faith in him we don't have to keep his commands. Those that have faith will be transformed daily into the likeness of Christ.

E

Moves
13 Dec 16

If humans were capable of living up to the standards required by God, Jesus would not have needed to die on the cross. The point is we all fall short of the glory of God, from the best of us to the worst of us. If we could save ourselves by our own efforts Jesus wouldn't have needed to die for us to redeem us. Unless we accept what Jesus did for us and h ...[text shortened]... keep his commands. Those that have faith will be transformed daily into the likeness of Christ.
No one ever said that Jesus' sacrifice isn't required for salvation at least not me.

I just said that if a person keeps all of God's commands then it shows the person has the what is required written on his heart. It would be the Romans 2 thing. Unless they are keeping all of the commands the person would fall short. Anyone who would argue that they have read the Bible and reject Jesus would fall short.

Never ran into a person who follows all of God's commands perfectly.

T

Moves
13 Dec 16
1 edit

You can keep some commands and not others and not keep Christ's commands. If that is the case and you are hoping to get there with your good works alone, you fail.
You can keep some commands and not others and not keep Christ's commands.
Correct. If one "keep[s] some commands and not others", one has not kept HIs commandments.

Jesus set the standard for how well his commandments are to be kept::
John 15
10“If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

Just as Jesus has kept His Father's commandments is the standard Jesus set. How well do you believe Jesus kept His Father's commandments?

If that is the case and you are hoping to get there with your good works alone, you fail.

I suspect that you shifted terminology to muddy the waters. I'll stick with the terminology that Jesus used which is to keep His commandments. Jesus clearly and plainly states that those who keep his His commandments, just as He has kept His Father's commandments, will abide in His love. Do you not believe Jesus either?

Jesus also plainly states what happens to those who do not abide in Him (do not KEEP His commandments as He kept His Father's commandments):
John 15
6“If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned.

E

Moves
13 Dec 16

[b]You can keep some commands and not others and not keep Christ's commands.
Correct. If one "keep[s] some commands and not others", one has not kept HIs commandments.

Jesus set the standard for how well his commandments are to be kept::
John 15
10“If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s co ...[text shortened]... ch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned.
[/b]
I believe what Jesus said.

I do not believe your twist on it.

But hey, you have free will. No problem with people choosing hell.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
13 Dec 16

No one ever said that Jesus' sacrifice isn't required for salvation at least not me.

I just said that if a person keeps all of God's commands then it shows the person has the what is required written on his heart. It would be the Romans 2 thing. Unless they are keeping all of the commands the person would fall short. Anyone who would argue that they hav ...[text shortened]... Jesus would fall short.

Never ran into a person who follows all of God's commands perfectly.
If no one can keep all God's commands perfectly it means no one can be saved purely by their works, as Rajk is claiming.

T

Moves
13 Dec 16

I believe what Jesus said.

But hey, you have free will. No problem with people choosing hell.
What Jesus said in the verses I quoted is really plain and straightforward.

You can choose to believe Him or not.

Why don't you show exactly how I "twist[ed]" what He said and how it is substantially different from what He stated?