If We all lived like Jesus...

If We all lived like Jesus...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
16 Jul 10

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
i don't follow this logic. why would you have to die like jesus if you lived like him?
Because Jesus lived until he was hanged on the cross. Is this a life you want?

Z

Moves
16 Jul 10

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Why complicate a simple/incontrovertible reality? God thinks divine viewpoint. Human beings think human viewpoint, which is all we're capable of in a status of spiritual death (body and soul only) sans a human spirit, genetically and behaviorally depraved, unreconciled and unregenerate. Christianity is all about thought and getting your head on straight ...[text shortened]... ...............................................................................................
if i were to quantify your contribution to this thread, i would give it a 0.0 for on topic contribution and a 0.2 for overall life philosophy contribution.

on a scale from 0 to 100

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
16 Jul 10

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Well, we were talking about happiness, not glories. But I'll let it slide.

I'm all for the responsible use of technology. If there are societies that maximize the upside of it while minimizing the downside, then more power to 'em.
I don't know if you're aware of this, but the title of this thread is "If we all lived like Jesus...". That is what we're talking about, not technology.

w

Moves
16 Jul 10

Originally posted by Agerg
A question primarily for Christians (but how I pose it may well be challenged by others) If we all behaved like Jesus would the world really be a better place? I shall suppose there is no divine intervention on this matter and imagine for arguments sake it is a state of being we eventually achieve as a collective. I am interested in two points that seem proble ...[text shortened]... o reach it?? If there isn't such a cap then my previous question remains to be answered.
So to live like Jesus you must think like him. So tell us, why did Jesus take a whip to the money changers in the temple? Must we all take a whip to our adversaries?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Jul 10

if i were to quantify your contribution to this thread, i would give it a 0.0 for on topic contribution and a 0.2 for overall life philosophy contribution.

on a scale from 0 to 100
Sorry to disappoint you, Zahl... perhaps best to follow the advice you presume to give others

in your own RHP Profile: "When life hands you a lemon, break out the tequila and the salt."

😉

Z

Moves
16 Jul 10

Sorry to disappoint you, Zahl... perhaps best to follow the advice you presume to give others

in your own RHP Profile: "When life hands you a lemon, break out the tequila and the salt."

😉
take it as a constructive criticism. i did contribute something to this thread. maybe it was a bad contribution but at least it was something. you just did a general remark, the kind that kills threads and then rapes them.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Jul 10

take it as a constructive criticism. i did contribute something to this thread. maybe it was a bad contribution but at least it was something. you just did a general remark, the kind that kills threads and then rapes them.
Always value input. Thanks. My sole post asked a direct question in the interest

of establishing a valid and accurate context relative to the OP, with a comment.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
16 Jul 10

Originally posted by rwingett
I don't know if you're aware of this, but the title of this thread is "If we all lived like Jesus...". That is what we're talking about, not technology.
I don't know if you are suffering from memory problems [woohoo, condescending opening sentences on every post], but you're the one who first mentioned technology in the thread. And the response was not about technology per se, but rather whether having it increases or decreases happiness. This was all part of a comparison between a modern lifestyle and what some consider to be a more Jesus-like, non-materialist lifestyle.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
16 Jul 10

I don't know if you are suffering from memory problems [woohoo, condescending opening sentences on every post], but you're the one who first mentioned technology in the thread. And the response was not about technology per se, but rather whether having it increases or decreases happiness. This was all part of a comparison between a modern lifestyle and what some consider to be a more Jesus-like, non-materialist lifestyle.
The reference to technology was an inconsequential sidenote to my post. My main point, which you steadfastly refuse to address, is that the Amish/Hutterite communities provide evidence that mankind can get by without a coercive justice system and that the Hutterites, specifically, live with common ownership of property. This fulfills the criteria initially laid out by Agerg for "living like Jesus."

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
16 Jul 10

The reference to technology was an inconsequential sidenote to my post. My main point, which you steadfastly refuse to address, is that the Amish/Hutterite communities provide evidence that mankind can get by without a coercive justice system and that the Hutterites, specifically, live with common ownership of property. This fulfills the criteria initially laid out by Agerg for "living like Jesus."
Actually, this is from Agerg's first post:
What motivations other than an equal share of the dividends (possibly small when divided up between everyone) and warm fuzzy feelings inside exist to counter the opportunity costs, time costs, effort costs, and resourse costs to enable technologies, resources, & luxuries that make living a happier experience (setting aside other costs such as the common human desire to have his/her skills & abilities rewarded and recognised).
"Technologies, resources and luxuries" are on-topic for the thread.

SG 1 RWillis 0

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
16 Jul 10

Actually, this is from Agerg's first post:
What motivations other than an equal share of the dividends (possibly small when divided up between everyone) and warm fuzzy feelings inside exist to counter the opportunity costs, time costs, effort costs, and resourse costs to enable technologies, resources, & luxuries that make living a happier experien ...[text shortened]...
"Technologies, resources and luxuries" are on-topic for the thread.

SG 1 RWillis 0
😴

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
17 Jul 10
3 edits

You need only to look at the Amish and Hutterite communities to answer your questions. Although they may have other problems, the Amish/Hutterites are pacifists who have had only one recorded homicide in their history. Clearly their cultural model is working well in that regard. Whether the trade offs are worth the result is another matter.

The Hutterit ...[text shortened]... resources, and luxuries really make us any happier. I think most of them do quite the opposite.
I acknowledge your point, and it's a good one, but I don't think it answers the question. We're considering a system that does indeed exist and thrive following the teachings of Jesus, but there is no challenge they need to meet for the benefits of mankind as a whole other than to sustain themselves. Wikipedia says that the maximum size of any colony is roughly 250, where usually, far before this number is attained they then split off to form a daughter colony, requiring to support this new colony a sizeable chunk of land as does the parent. The population of the world is over 6 billion and the land surface area of the earth is about 57.5 million square miles, much of this is of course unsuitable for farming. If we suppose however that by the time the entire world hypothetically lives like Jesus there is somehow the technology to farm all of this land then assuming an average colony size of 150 people (and charitably assuming a world population of 6 billion) we'd have roughly 1.44 square miles for each colony (and they would all be contiguous). Now from the first link below the average colony land usage back in 1991 was 1834 hectares*** which is roughly 7 square miles (rounding down). So already we'd need to scale down these colonies to a fifth their average size. Note I haven't yet made use of the fact that we need fuel to sustain these colonies or the fact that I haven't considered land usage by animals. Furthermore to really live like Jesus in the respect that no person or colony is better off than other colonies there is the logistical challenge of getting resources to colonies that would otherwise be worse off if left to fend for themselves.
There is probably much I have neglected favourable to my argument (laziness on my part) but in short I'm not so sure the example you've provided scales up so well when we consider the entire human population.

My sources for data are:
http://www.canadianencyclopedia.ca/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0003929
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth
http://www.teacherschoice.com.au/Maths_Library/Area%20and%20SA/Area_1.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutterite

***You might say that technology of the future will allow land to be used more efficiently but since I can't quantify this, I havent found any better data, and I've been generous with usable land and world population, I'll stick with this number.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
17 Jul 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas
If you want to live like Jesus, then you have to die like Jesus too.
Would you really like that? I wouldn't.
Ergo people who want to live like their parents (or any other persons) must die like their parents (or other persons)

Besides...who is saying I would like to live like Jesus anyway? I haven't.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
17 Jul 10

Always value input. Thanks. My sole post asked a direct question in the interest

of establishing a valid and accurate context relative to the OP, with a comment.
No it didn't, you basically implied that to give the matter any deep thought is silly and we should just recognise how depraved we truly are as humans and turn to your notion of God.

This in essence has naff all to do with my OP and everything to do with preaching.

F

Moves
17 Jul 10

Originally posted by Agerg
Ergo people who want to live like their parents (or any other persons) must die like their parents (or other persons)

Besides...who is saying I would like to live like Jesus anyway? I haven't.
I haven't said anything about you personally should live and die like Jesus.

Everyone wanting to live like Jesys should also die like Jesus, hanging on the cross. Because all his life he prepared himself to the prophecy to be hanged. To live like Jesus but avoid being hanged is cheating.