if I believe only in God but not in any religio...

if I believe only in God but not in any religio...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
08 Jun 06

Which word define it ?

Cape Town

Moves
08 Jun 06

Originally posted by drjegc
Which word define it ?
Lost?
Confused?
One man religion?
Which god did you say?
Do you believe in heaven? Hell? Sin?
Do you believe there is a God or just open to the possibility?
Do you pray?
Why dont you believe in the Spaghetti Monster?

d

Moves
08 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
Lost?
Confused?
One man religion?
Which god did you say?
Do you believe in heaven? Hell? Sin?
Do you believe there is a God or just open to the possibility?
Do you pray?
Why dont you believe in the Spaghetti Monster?
I believe in God but I dont believe in religions of any kind ...
if I am not an agnosthic or atheist , I would be .... ( I am looking for the right word )

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
08 Jun 06

if I am not an agnosthic or atheist , I would be .... ( I am looking for the right word )
Stupid?

Which God?
All gods are constructions of religions, so saying you believe in god but not religion sounds a bit dumb to me.

l

London

Moves
08 Jun 06

Theist or Deist (probably the latter since Deism is associated with the rejection of revealed religion).

Cape Town

Moves
08 Jun 06

Go and look up religion.
Are you saying that it is imposible to know anything about your God or that only you know anything?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
08 Jun 06

Originally posted by amannion
Stupid?

Which God?
All gods are constructions of religions, so saying you believe in god but not religion sounds a bit dumb to me.
If, by gods you refer to the false gods of the various man-made religions that have existed since time began, you are correct. If, however, you are attempting to lump the Creator of the universe in with that motley crew, you are incorrect.

While some will identify religion in the most generic possible terms, a religion is a system of belief that demands action on the part of its adherents, in order to gain the approbation of its god(s).
Christianity has no such demands, and as such, does not qualify as a religion in that sense. One becomes a Christian simply by accepting the gift of salvation (a non-meritorious act of faith, completely independent of any work).

Cape Town

Moves
08 Jun 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
If, by gods you refer to the false gods of the various man-made religions that have existed since time began, you are correct. If, however, you are attempting to lump the Creator of the universe in with that motley crew, you are incorrect.

While some will identify religion in the most generic possible terms, a religion is a system of beli ...[text shortened]... ting the gift of salvation (a non-meritorious act of faith, completely independent of any work).
Of course a member of another 'religion' will claim the same but with their religion and God substituted.
And as far as I know the word religion does not have anything to do with 'demanding action on the part of its adherents', but merely refers to a system of beliefs, which of course includes Christianity.
Also your description of Christianity would only fit a minority of people who claim to be Christian, so you should consider using a denominational name rather than 'Christian'.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
08 Jun 06

Of course a member of another 'religion' will claim the same but with their religion and God substituted.
And as far as I know the word religion does not have anything to do with 'demanding action on the part of its adherents', but merely refers to a system of beliefs, which of course includes Christianity.
Also your description of Christianity would on ...[text shortened]... be Christian, so you should consider using a denominational name rather than 'Christian'.
Some religions may claim the same, but a simple cursory look at their beliefs will reveal otherwise. All religions have checklists of do's and don'ts, actions which must be taken to gain their gods' approbation and/or achieve salvation/spiritual states. These checklists depend on the merit of the individual. Christianity does not.

l

London

Moves
08 Jun 06

Also your description of Christianity would on ...[text shortened]... be Christian, so you should consider using a denominational name rather than 'Christian'.
I would go one further and say that religion is just a system of beliefs where the underlying structure of the universe endorses certain moral values (c.f. Bertocci).

I think Freaky's view is an Evangelical Fundamentalist/Baptist view.

d

Moves
08 Jun 06

in the most generic possible terms, a religion is a system of belief that demands action on the part of its adherents, in order to gain the approbation of its god(s).
Christianity has no such demands ....
really ? what about the ten commandments ?

d

Moves
08 Jun 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Theist or Deist (probably the latter since Deism is associated with the rejection of revealed religion).
thanks for your help !

K
Chess Samurai

Yes

Moves
08 Jun 06

Is it that you don't believe or follow any religion or any ORGANIZED religion?

d

Moves
09 Jun 06

I don´t believe in any kind of religion.
I do believe that all religions - organized or not - are human creations, with mistakes as everything we have done ...
I don´t believe in any priest, nun, pope, bible, torah, koran, bagavad ghita, etc ... because they tend to exclude you when somebody disagree with their precepts ... who is lying then? who really gets the truth ?
To me, no one !

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
09 Jun 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
[b]All gods are constructions of religions, so saying you believe in god but not religion sounds a bit dumb to me.
If, by gods you refer to the false gods of the various man-made religions that have existed since time began, you are correct. If, however, you are attempting to lump the Creator of the universe in with that motley crew, you are i ...[text shortened]... ting the gift of salvation (a non-meritorious act of faith, completely independent of any work).[/b]
This is some new age version of Christianity where you get all the benefits without having to put any effort in?

I was under the impression that Jesus had issued a new commandment - love your neighbour as you love yourself. That sounds like a pretty majuor demand to me.