Ice Age 2

Ice Age 2

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
21 Apr 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Nutty, ain't I?
*mimes extreme craziness*

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
21 Apr 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
*mimes extreme craziness*
No sense doing something half-butted, right?

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
21 Apr 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
It's always so cute when the experts chime in with their "most Christians" and "only a vocal minority" assertions. Despite rejecting it wholesale, they are keenly aware of its adherents' beliefs. How quaint.
Of course I'm keenly aware of it! Most of my family is xian. Nearly all of my friends from childhood, as well as their families, are xian. Of these, nearly all of them are either some form of Baptist, CMA, or what I'll call "spirit-filled" (e.g. Pentacostal, Calvary Chapel, Ass. of God, Church of Christ). From observation, I've found that a member of one of these sects of xianity is almost always anti-evolution (usually young earth as well they though not with as much frenquency as the other traits).

Fortunately, I have had the opportunity to meet many other types of xians (Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists, Anglicans, on and on), and I've observed that these types rarely adhere to a literalist interpretation of Genesis.

Examining various estimates of membership in the US, I have found that the first types make up roughly 40% percent of xians (maybe a bit less). Finally, I also have strong anecdotal reason to believe that the US is particularly saturated with anti-evolutionist xians, so that worldwide, I estimate fewer than 40% of xians are anti-evolutionists.

What I find quaint is the continual error by some xians here of equating some one who rejects xianity with some one who has no familiarity with xianity or the Bible.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
21 Apr 06

Originally posted by telerion
Of course I'm keenly aware of it! Most of my family is xian. Nearly all of my friends from childhood, as well as their families, are xian. Of these, nearly all of them are either some form of Baptist, CMA, or what I'll call "spirit-filled" (e.g. Pentacostal, Calvary Chapel, Ass. of God, Church of Christ). From observation, I've found that a member of on ...[text shortened]... me one who rejects xianity with some one who has no familiarity with xianity or the Bible.
I come from a country with over 90% "official" Roman Catholics (only Poland has a higher percentage in Europe) and the creationist movement is non-existent.

I'm actually surprised at the idea that 40% of american Christians are anti-evolution. I thought creationism was being pushed by much less representative lobbies with important political weight. 40% of Christians is a huge number...

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
21 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
I come from a country with over 90% "official" Roman Catholics (only Poland has a higher percentage in Europe) and the creationist movement is non-existent.

I'm actually surprised at the idea that 40% of american Christians are anti-evolution. I thought creationism was being pushed by much less representative lobbies with important political weight. 40% of Christians is a huge number...
I'll have to look for the figure, but it's something like 20% of americans believe that Jesus will return in their lifetime and another 20% believe he'll return in the next 50 years.

I also saw a figure on C-SPAN that had almost 50% of adults answering "false" to the following question:

"The Earth revolves around the Sun and takes 1 year to complete 1 revolution."

With stats like that, not much will surprise me anymore.

Edit: That's American adults

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
21 Apr 06

I'll have to look for the figure, but it's something like 20% of americans believe that Jesus will return in their lifetime and another 20% believe he'll return in the next 50 years.

I also saw a figure on C-SPAN that had almost 50% of adults answering "false" to the following question:

"The Earth revolves around the Sun and takes 1 year to complete 1 ...[text shortened]... ts like that, not much will surprise me anymore.

Edit: That's American adults
Yes, when we get our theology from a damn cartoon what should we expect?

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
21 Apr 06

Ass. of God
HAHA
Sorry 😳

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
21 Apr 06

Originally posted by Crowley
HAHA
Sorry 😳
I figured I'd better add the period to avoid the modbot.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
22 Apr 06

I figured I'd better add the period to avoid the modbot.
Live on the edge a little.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
23 Apr 06

Sweet holy hell...

There's me thinking the story was about a talking mammoth and a long toothed tiger...