I was wondering ......

I was wondering ......

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
26 Apr 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
ATY: " ..... the overbearing influence that Protestants have on American society"

So, you would agree with me that most of these "religious" debates are political. They are just disguised as such.

ATY: "There may be some anti-Israeli political motivations fuelling the comments, ..... "

Could you elaborate on this. It seems to me rather odd to ...[text shortened]... .

If this is the truly the case then this is certainly an instance of veiled anti-semitism.
The simple truth is that the god of Abram was just another bull god.
And not a one even remotely friendly to mankind.
A god of war and atrocities , a spiteful, angry god that could punish all the Israelites because one guy kept a cloak from a city that the war-god had Joshua kill everything in it

I ask you this: How does describing a god that likes people that go around murdering people that are Hors de Combat as a Monster-god make somebody anti-semitic?

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
27 Apr 05

..... whether all these threads dealing with the "evilness" of the Jewish people and their "Monster" God in the Old Testament are in fact veiled expressions of anti-semitism.

What are your thoughts about all this ?
I think you're seeing something that isn't there.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
27 Apr 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
The simple truth is that the god of Abram was just another bull god.
And not a one even remotely friendly to mankind.
A god of war and atrocities , a spiteful, angry god that could punish all the Israelites because one guy kept a cloak from a city that the war-god had Joshua kill everything in it

I ask you this: How does describing a g ...[text shortened]... ound murdering people that are Hors de Combat as a Monster-god make somebody anti-semitic?
The truth is???? That's quit an assertion to start off a line off BS.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
27 Apr 05

ATY: " ..... the overbearing influence that Protestants have on American society"

So, you would agree with me that most of these "religious" debates are political. They are just disguised as such.

ATY: "There may be some anti-Israeli political motivations fuelling the comments, ..... "

Could you elaborate on this. It seems to me rather odd to ...[text shortened]... .

If this is the truly the case then this is certainly an instance of veiled anti-semitism.
Thought you wanted to stick to the subject of the thread. Which is your not so veiled innuendo that no1 is an anti-semite for calling the OT god a monster god. A name for god that any decent human being would say is appropriate , if they ever read the bible. No1 and others here are arguing that the OT god is a god constructed by leaders as a justification for their atrocities.
If you think pointing out the leaders blasphemy against God is is the same as being against either the religion or the people, you ought to read a little European history and see what anti-semitism really is: a Christian phenomenom that became ingrained in the culture. Your own church played a large part in creating anti-semitism
and that's the plain truth of it, regardless of any revisionist history or rationalizations. the RCC wasn't the only anti-semitic organization in Europe ,only the first.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
27 Apr 05

Originally posted by Coletti
The truth is???? That's quit an assertion to start off a line off BS.
Absolute truth !!! you need to learn something of the polytheistic father god of the city that Abram was born in.
Whether you like it or not. Just an Indo-European Sumerian bull god,that The semitic Akkadians renamed Anu, shows up in the hebrew tablets found at Ugarit as El. and is also the arabic Al.

Of course you think you know more about the god than the ancients did. And you probably would if you actually thought about how much difference there is between Christ the OT god.

A clue : the difference is the same for An, Anu, El and An.