I just cannot....

I just cannot....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T
The-Sphinx

South East England

Moves
30 Sep 05

I just cannot believe how many people are into religion of one kind or another! I mean, how many of you are christians, how many of you are muslims, how many of you are cathlics, how many are there etc etc?

If there is a God, how do you know you are 'supportingt the right side?' Suppose that after years of praying to your chosen 'God' you find that you could be wrong, and it is another religion that has the 'correct one?'

I thought there there was only one God. I imagine him as being white in colour, with a beard, the typical pictures I see of 'Him.' But do black people see him as black?

With all the different religions how would you feel, on the day that you died, after 50 years of praying to your God, the gates opens and you find you was wrong after all!! How would you feel? Pretty stupid I imagine.

But if there is only one 'GOD', why are there so many religions?

But if there is only one 'GOD', why are there so many religions and why is there so much hatred of one religous factor towards another? The Catholics and the Protestants, lets say the Christians against the Jews, the Jews against the Christians and so many other religions that escape me now I am trying to remember them!

My question to you is, who is praying to the right God?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
30 Sep 05
1 edit

Originally posted by TheSphinx
I just cannot believe how many people are into religion of one kind or another! I mean, how many of you are christians, how many of you are muslims, how many of you are cathlics, how many are there etc etc?

If there is a God, how do you know you are 'supportingt the right side?' Suppose that after years of praying to your chosen 'God' you find tha ...[text shortened]... now I am trying to remember them!

These are the Roman Catholic Church's answers to your questions:

FIDES ET RATIO

http://www.vatican.va/edocs/ENG0216/_INDEX.HTM

TCE

Colorado

Moves
30 Sep 05

If there is a God, how do you know you are 'supportingt the right side?' Suppose that after years of praying to your chosen 'God' you find tha ...[text shortened]... now I am trying to remember them!

Take a look at the story I posted in the "Is there an afterlife?" Thread. It's on page two.

T
The-Sphinx

South East England

Moves
30 Sep 05

Originally posted by The Chess Express
Take a look at the story I posted in the "Is there an afterlife?" Thread. It's on page two.
I'll relate a story I read once by Paramhansa Yogananda, The Essence of self-realization.

There was once a man who had six blind sons. He told his sons to wash his elephant. As they were doing so they began to discuss between themselves what the elephant was.

One said that the elephant was two large bones. He had been washing the tusks.

The second was disgusted and said that the elephant was really a thick rope. He had been washing the trunk.

The third son was appalled and insisted that it was like a couple of fans. He had been washing the ears.

The forth son was dismayed by what he was hearing. He was washing the legs and was ceretain that the elephant was like tree trunks.

The fifth son, was outraged at the others and shouted in frustration you are all wrong! The beast is a big breathing wall. He was washing the sides.

The sixth son, beside himself with contempt, called the rest of his brothers liars and said that elephants were like string from the sky. He had been washing the tail.

The brothers now despised eachother and began fighting between themselves.

Soon the father walked in and saw what was happening. Listening to their story, he laughed and said that they were all fighting over nothing. He then told them what an elephant really was.

Just because peoples desciptions of God don't make sense to you, does not mean that there isn't one.

A brilliant posting, don't know who originally thought this one up but it is very good.

I'm not saying there is or isn't a God. Well no, that's not correct as I don't believe in anything that includes the words God and religious/religions.

My question is, how do you know, for sure, that you are praying for the 'right one?'

b

Moves
01 Oct 05

there is something inside you that tells you.

L

Moves
01 Oct 05

Originally posted by blindfaith101

egoism?

"the little man inside me tells me" defense. of course, consider one who represents all that you do not -- your antithesis essentially. his little man tells him that he is right and that you are therefore wrong. so which little man is correct? we need a third little man to break the tie.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
01 Oct 05
1 edit

I'll relate a story I read once by Paramhansa Yogananda, The Essence of self-realization.

There was once a man who had six blind sons. He told his sons to wash his elephant. As they were doing so they began to discuss between themselves what the elephant was.

One said that the elephant was two large bones. He had been washing the tusks.

The se ...[text shortened]... ions.

My question is, how do you know, for sure, that you are praying for the 'right one?'
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Though I did paraphrase from the book, to the best of my knowledge the story comes from Paramahansa Yogananda. My gut feeling tells me that it is probably a pretty old story though.

Rather than worry about praying to the right God, maybe it is more important to focus on how one prays.

Most religions teach that there is a omnipotent God of love and that this God lies within us. Personally I believe the more sincerely one searches, the more God reveals.

The different religions don't make perfect sense to me when taken on face value either.

JF
Troubador

Land of Fist

Moves
01 Oct 05

Too bad you have zero respect for anyone else who has something inside them that tells them differently than what you believe.

T
The-Sphinx

South East England

Moves
01 Oct 05

Originally posted by LemonJello
[b]there is something inside you that tells you.

egoism?

"the little man inside me tells me" defense. of course, consider one who represents all that you do not -- your antithesis essentially. his little man tells him that he is right and that you are therefore wrong. so which little man is correct? we need a third little man to break the tie.[/b]
So basically you are saying absolutely nothing!!

'egoism' ?????????????????????????????????? Sorry just don't understand that at all.

L

Moves
01 Oct 05

'egoism' ?????????????????????????????????? Sorry just don't understand that at all.

i am saying that the "little man tells me" argument is neither coherent nor forceful.

is the office life getting you down, Sphinxter?

i
Deracinated

Sydney

Moves
01 Oct 05

Is it the same thing that tells schizophrenics to murder people?

i
Deracinated

Sydney

Moves
01 Oct 05

Originally posted by The Chess Express
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Though I did paraphrase from the book, to the best of my knowledge the story comes from Paramahansa Yogananda. My gut feeling tells me that it is probably a pretty old story though.

Rather than worry about praying to the right God, maybe it is more important to focus on how one prays.

Most religions teach that there ...[text shortened]... s.

The different religions don't make perfect sense to me when taken on face value either.
Why does it take such a convoluted analogy to 'explain'? The fact is religion is a throwback to more primitive times, and no amount of cutesy, cod-philosophy can disguise the fact.

I'd have far more respect for the son who took a step back and saw the elephant for what it was, rather than focusing on specific parts like a retard.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
02 Oct 05

Originally posted by ivangrice
Why does it take such a convoluted analogy to 'explain'? The fact is religion is a throwback to more primitive times, and no amount of cutesy, cod-philosophy can disguise the fact.

I'd have far more respect for the son who took a step back and saw the elephant for what it was, rather than focusing on specific parts like a retard.
Seeing the elephant for what it is as you say is not all that easy. If a religion inspires and gives a person strength, then it is a good thing.

It is up to the individual how he/she chooses to believe. I know that there are Christians who believe that people of different faiths can find God as well.

The fact that there are hundreds of different kinds of Christianity just goes to show that something which is divine cannot really be explained by human words.

Personally I believe that God must be experienced to be understood.

O
Digital Blasphemy

Omnipresent

Moves
02 Oct 05

Originally posted by ivangrice
I'd have far more respect for the son who took a step back and saw the elephant for what it was, rather than focusing on specific parts like a retard.[/b]
.............I see..............so, the BLIND sons inability to perceive the situation made him retarded.

Well, let me tell you, I feel no need to argue with that logic. 😵

Ab Adfectio Facetia,
Omnislash

O
Digital Blasphemy

Omnipresent

Moves
02 Oct 05

Originally posted by LemonJello
[b]So basically you are saying absolutely nothing!!

i am saying that the "little man tells me" argument is neither coherent nor forceful.

is the office life getting you down, Sphinxter?[/b]
A lack of coherance nor forcefulness does not refute the premise, as it is not predicated by it.