1. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 14:21
    please forgive my ignorance beetle, what is the book of the void. i have in my mind a blank piece of paper, when an artist draws in say pencil or charcoal, he uses the blank (the void) , the white of the paper as his ultimate gauge, thus by knowing what is not, he is, in quite an absolute sense (for nothing can transcend the whiteness of the paper in tone or brightness) more ably to determine what is.
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 14:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    please forgive my ignorance beetle, what is the book of the void. i have in my mind a blank piece of paper, when an artist draws in say pencil or charcoal, he uses the blank (the void) , the white of the paper as his ultimate gauge, thus by knowing what is not, he is, in quite an absolute sense (for nothing can transcend the whiteness of the paper in tone or brightness) more ably to determine what is.
    Miyamoto Musashi: "Gorinsho", The Book of the Five Rings

The fifth ring is the Void
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 14:231 edit
    i remember trying to read it once in my youthful days, (catcher in the rye) when i was, shhhhh, between you and me, 'stoned', therefore it is but a fleeting glimpse on the horizon, is it that the ideal was unattainable, or perhaps the innocence of youth?
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 14:25
    Musashi says that the people in this world look at things mistakenly, they think that what they do not understand is the Void. This is not the true void, he says. This is confusion
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 14:27
    i remember trying to read it once in my youthful days, (catcher in the rye) when i was, shhhhh, between you and me, 'stoned', therefore it is but a fleeting glimpse on the horizon, is it that the ideal was unattainable, or perhaps the innocence of youth?
    Not exactly; there is not innocence within Salinger for he is aware of the situations. But there is purity
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 14:341 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Not exactly; there is not innocence within Salinger for he is aware of the situations. But there is purity
    yes, i remember a scene where Holden Caulfield hires a prostitute, not for any sexual purpose, but simply because he wants someone to talk to, and when he tries to explain this, she becomes irate and threatens him, calling him some kind of weirdo!
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 14:361 edit
    are you applying the study of the book of the void with respect to chess strategy and the immortal game?
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 14:36
    yes, i remember a scene where Holden Caulfield hires a prostitute, not for any sexual purpose, but simply because he wants someone to talk to, and when he tries to explain this, she becomes irate and threatens him, calling him some kind of weirdo!
    Oh, we hijacked the thread!
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 14:37
    are you applying the study of the book of the void with respect to chess strategy and the immortal game?
    Sure thing😵
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 14:37
    no worries we can give it back!
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 14:38
    no worries we can give it back!
    😵
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 14:41
    its quite amazing beetle, for many times during the course of a game there is confusion, the problem is that when our thought have no definitive criteria to work with, they become like smoke rings of the mind and dissipate into nothingness, the result being that we make confused moves because of an erroneous thought process.
  13. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 14:50
    its quite amazing beetle, for many times during the course of a game there is confusion, the problem is that when our thought have no definitive criteria to work with, they become like smoke rings of the mind and dissipate into nothingness, the result being that we make confused moves because of an erroneous thought process.
    Musashi would say over here that our moves (abstract thought turning into a string of moves) must flow according to "a plan/ no plan" undeterred; this, you may achieve it after years of practicing your patterns again and again;

For the royal game you need concentration of your forces on a specific area/ target, and this means that you have to maintain lesser forces elswhere on the board in order to obtain an equilibrium, which suddenly you may change it in a way more favorable for your position than your opponent's

I am sure that right now you get the main vision of the nature of the so called "void"
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 15:24
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Musashi would say over here that our moves (abstract thought turning into a string of moves) must flow according to "a plan/ no plan" undeterred; this, you may achieve it after years of practicing your patterns again and again;

For the royal game you need concentration of your forces on a specific area/ target, and this means that you have to maintai ...[text shortened]... s

I am sure that right now you get the main vision of the nature of the so called "void"
    it seems therefore beetle that maintaining the equilibrium is of the utmost and primary goal, only until such times as we deem it advantageous to 'rock the boat', and tip the scales in our favour, and like you say the disposition of our forces must be proportionately placed to achieve this.
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Jan '09 15:40
    it seems therefore beetle that maintaining the equilibrium is of the utmost and primary goal, only until such times as we deem it advantageous to 'rock the boat', and tip the scales in our favour, and like you say the disposition of our forces must be proportionately placed to achieve this.
    Yes; from there derives the idea of the initiative: we forward with tempo our plan whilst trying to block/ avoid/ overcome/ play past the plan of our opponent

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree