I could be wrong...

I could be wrong...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
31 Mar 05

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Wulebgr is shocked at such carnality.
Yo, who's wit me? Who thinks the church needs more hard rock Peters?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
31 Mar 05

Originally posted by kirksey957
Y'all can argue and argue. All I know is that the church needs more hard rock Peters.
LOL

In your face

Moves
31 Mar 05
1 edit

Bring it on Rory (Gallagher)

The Apologist

Moves
31 Mar 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
Chist was saying Peter solid as a rock so he was chosen to be the leader of the church after the cruxifiction

Mathew 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon
Barjona ...[text shortened]... and the gates of hell shall not prevail
against it.

NOT stones : a rock : ONE

You should read the Greek, rather than the KJV.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
31 Mar 05

Originally posted by kirksey957
Yo, who's wit me? Who thinks the church needs more hard rock Peters?
Priapus says hey

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
31 Mar 05

Originally posted by Darfius
btw Greek Othhodox is aslo a catholic church

The Apologist

Moves
31 Mar 05

btw Greek Othhodox is aslo a catholic church
What are you talking about? I'm saying the earliest copies of the NT we have are in Greek. The Greek makes it clear that Peter is A stone upon the Rock of Christ.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
31 Mar 05

What are you talking about? I'm saying the earliest copies of the NT we have are in Greek. The Greek makes it clear that Peter is A stone upon the Rock of Christ.
you're also saying Greeks cant read Greek

The Apologist

Moves
31 Mar 05

you're also saying Greeks cant read Greek
I'm saying the Greek Orthodox Church did not break away from the RCC until the 11th century and had an agenda.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
31 Mar 05
1 edit

Greek scholars can tell you that in the first century the words petros and petra were synonyms. In Attic Greek, centuries before Christ, the words meant "small stone" and "large rock" in a few poems. That distinction, however, was absent in Koine Greek, the language of the Gospel of Matthew. Petros and petra both mean "rock" in Koine Greek; lithos means small stone in Koine Greek. If Jesus wanted to make the distinction that Darfius alleges, Jesus could have expressed himself more clearly by calling Peter lithos.

Of course, Jesus spoke Aramaic, not Greek. In Aramaic the word kepha means rock or stone; this name for Simon is preserved as Cephas in I Corinthians.

See D. A. Carson. The Expositor’s Bible Commentary. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1984.

Darfius, in his wisdom and knowledge, will now tell us that Carson is a Catholic source, and thereby already impeached. Do not believe him. Zondervan is an evangelical publisher.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
31 Mar 05

I'm saying the Greek Orthodox Church did not break away from the RCC until the 11th century and had an agenda.
Even so they didnt change the church just who the head of it was.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
31 Mar 05
1 edit

Is God the Father fully human?
If petra means rock, and refers to Christ, while petros means stone and refers to Peter, why is the apostle expressed in masculine terms, and Jesus in feminine? Isn't petros the masculine form of a feminine noun petras?

The Apologist

Moves
31 Mar 05

Petros
"a stone" = Peter

petra
"a large bed-rock" = Rock

Peter was a piece of rock built on the bed-rock that was Christ.

All of the ohter apostles were foundation stones built on the foundation of Christ.

Ephesians 2:19-22
" 19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are ...[text shortened]... Revelations when the Jews will flee to Petra in Jordan to avoid destruction by the Antichrist.
These two verses and the verse in Revelation concerning Petra clears it up and makes it clear that though Peter did help build the church through his service to Christ, the other apostles were just as important, and the RCC's claims are false, which makes sense, because their church has always been corrupt.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
31 Mar 05

If petra means rock, and refers to Christ, while petros means stone and refers to Peter, why is the apostle expressed in masculine terms, and Jesus in feminine? Isn't petros the masculine form of a feminine noun petras?
For the New Testament, the original Greek text is used by the Greek Church, while the other Orthodox Churches have translated the Bible into their own native languages from the original Greek, with the Slavonic translation the oldest. The Orthodox Church has not as yet translated the Bible into English, so has no official English translation. In the meantime, the Orthodox are temporarily using both the King James Version and the Revised Standard Version.

http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7068.asp

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
31 Mar 05
1 edit

These two verses and the verse in Revelation concerning Petra clears it up and makes it clear that though Peter did help build the church through his service to Christ, the other apostles were just as important, and the RCC's claims are fa ...[text shortened]... , which makes sense, because their church has always been corrupt.
Mathew cleared it up quite nicely he quotes Christ,, only a deceiver would look beyond that