I can see your aura.

I can see your aura.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
22 May 12

Yesterday my fitness trainer was talking about something she and her family experienced while at the beach to see the annular eclipse which was pretty good here in northern California. (They took all the precautions.) When it was at its fullest, there was an annular ring of sun visible.

When facing away from the sun, they noticed that their shadows on the sand had an "aura" of a different shade of light, that seems like a fuzzy edge to their shadow. Apparently it was quite prominent against the sand.

I imagine that if you have two point sources of light close together behind you, you will have two overlapping shadows that are offset from one another a bit. So an annular ring of light would create this fuzziness around the entire perimeter.

I'd put this in Science, but on this forum, we often discuss strange phenomena with the question of whether they have naturalistic explanations. I am wondering if the whole "aura" phenomena might have its roots in ancient people experiencing annular eclipses -- which they would have done, and which would have grabbed their attention far more than they grab ours.

Just another example of a mystical phenomena that might yield to naturalistic explanations.

rc

Moves
22 May 12

Originally posted by JS357
Yesterday my fitness trainer was talking about something she and her family experienced while at the beach to see the annular eclipse which was pretty good here in northern California. (They took all the precautions.) When it was at its fullest, there was an annular ring of sun visible.

When facing away from the sun, they noticed that their shadows on the ...[text shortened]... Just another example of a mystical phenomena that might yield to naturalistic explanations.
you have a fitness trainer? are you an athlete?

Moves
22 May 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
you have a fitness trainer? are you an athlete?
I wish. We are in our 60's. My wife and I share a trainer who we see for twice weekly training, and who gives us daily goals of exercise, diet etc. My wife has some health issues and I have a questionable hip joint, due to a childhood accident, that calls for staying in good shape -- strength, balance, flexibility, weight control. It's on the advice of our physicians (but not paid for by insurance).

rc

Moves
22 May 12
2 edits

Originally posted by JS357
I wish. We are in our 60's. My wife and I share a trainer who we see for twice weekly training, and who gives us daily goals of exercise, diet etc. My wife has some health issues and I have a questionable hip joint, due to a childhood accident, that calls for staying in good shape -- strength, balance, flexibility, weight control. It's on the advice of our physicians (but not paid for by insurance).
hi, ok, forgive my presumptuousness. I go to gym for similar reason to try to
strengthen areas that were injured by numerous motor cycling accidents when
younger. I was inspired actually by the TV program Kung Fu which I watched recently,
for it seemed to me that the way of the Shaolin was to focus the mind and the body
through mental and physical discipline to produce harmony of mind and body,
perhaps the Buddhists among us know something of it, my knowledge is scant
gleaned from a tv series, never the less, when I am exercising, I view it as a form
of meditation. I am fully convinced of the need for exercise to stimulate mental
health and the mind to help the body focus on the discipline of exercise. I apologise
as this isn't really the topic of your post. Have you tired sauna? i find its very helpful
for helping one to feel relaxed and sound of mind.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 May 12

hi, ok, forgive my presumptuousness. I go to gym for similar reason to try to
strengthen areas that were injured by numerous motor cycling accidents when
younger. I was inspired actually by the TV program Kung Fu which I watched recently,
for it seemed to me that the way of the Shaolin was to focus the mind and the body
through mental and p ...[text shortened]... you tired sauna? i find its very helpful
for helping one to feel relaxed and sound of mind.
Here is one scientific study of people seeing aura's, and a rebuttal of sorts:

http://www.skeptic.com/doubtful-news/a-possible-scientific-explanation-for-healers-seeing-auras-updated-media-gets-it-wrong/

rc

Moves
22 May 12
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
Here is one scientific study of people seeing aura's, and a rebuttal of sorts:

http://www.skeptic.com/doubtful-news/a-possible-scientific-explanation-for-healers-seeing-auras-updated-media-gets-it-wrong/
id be more interested in the science of sauna to be honest.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 May 12

id be more interested in the science of sauna to be honest.
You want to be a saunatation engineer?

rc

Moves
22 May 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
You want to be a saunatation engineer?
no i read an atricle one that spoke of the ions positive/negative I cannot remember
clearly that are released when water is poured upon scolding hot stones. Id be
interested to know if there is any truth to this and if so what effect it may have on the
body, if any. Also i would like to know why its so relaxing to heat the skin and then
cool it down quickly.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 May 12
2 edits

no i read an atricle one that spoke of the ions positive/negative I cannot remember
clearly that are released when water is poured upon scolding hot stones. Id be
interested to know if there is any truth to this and if so what effect it may have on the
body, if any. Also i would like to know why its so relaxing to heat the skin and then
cool it down quickly.
One thing we know about ions, we react to positive ions somewhat like rubbing a cat's fur the wrong way, they make us cranky.

Negative ions on the other hand calm us down, for some reason makes us feel better.

Or at least some of us:

http://www.breathofsalt.com/posnegions.htm

http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/negative-ions-create-positive-vibes

I imagine the fast heating of water hitting the body followed by cold is like getting burned but immediately putting the burned part in cool water, although not as severe as actually getting burned.