1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 23:502 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    RE "slave to sin" - this is obviously a metaphoric use of the term 'slave'. It has nothing to do with the type of real, literal slavery that I am talking about.

The whole bit about 'slaves to Christ' is obviously metaphoric also. 'Slave by choice' is an obvious oxymoron.

And as for the last sentence, maybe you could do a better job of converting pe ...[text shortened]... r claims on the Biblical issues at hand instead of deflecting or ignoring them entirely.
    So you are saying that without sin in the world men would still try to control their fellow man? Nope, it would not happen.

A wise man once said that to conquer the world would make one a great man, but he who can conquer himself is mighty. The self is the battleground, from which arises all manner of sinful conduct, including slavery.

For the Christian, the power of Christ is the key to conquering oneself and our subsequent sin nature. Then again, perhaps you can do it all on your own. If so, perhaps you should start a religion.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 23:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    So you are saying that without sin in the world men would still try to control their fellow man? Nope, it would not happen.

A wise man once said that to conquer the world would make one a great man, but he who can conquer himself is mighty. The self is the battleground, from which arises all manner of sinful conduct, including slavery.

For the Christi ...[text shortened]... Then again, perhaps you can do it all on your own. If so, perhaps you should start a religion.
    Start a religion for yourself only. Thats the most accurate one anyway.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 23:57
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Let me see if I understand this correctly.

SG cited verses from the OT that explicitly state "that not all slaves were freed after 7 years, that you were allowed to sell your daughter as a sex slave, that you were allowed to pass slaves on as an inheritance to your children, that you were allowed to beat your slaves so long as they didn't die in the n ...[text shortened]... esentation"?

Have you considered that perhaps it is your conception that is "skewed"?
    Christ also spoke of divorce. As he stated, divorce was never the will of God, but it was allowed due to the hardness of the hearts of men. It was a way to survive and try and live in peace as best as they could due to the fact that their hard heart was a chronic and unfixable condition.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 23:58
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Start a religion for yourself only. Thats the most accurate one anyway.
    But I have no such power, cause I've tried. How bout you?
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 00:00
    But I have no such power, cause I've tried. How bout you?
    In my mind all things exist, like that movie,the Matrix.
    You may be dissapointed at the actual physical representation. But in my mind everyone is beautiful.

I get a lot of great ideas but only follow through on a handful too...
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 00:08
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    . But in my mind everyone is beautiful.

b]
    Genocide? Murder? Rape? Lying?

Is this a mind that is sober?
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 00:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well the snippet talks of "religion at its best". You and I could trade stories of 'religion at its worst', I suppose.

You don't think religion gives cohesion to communities; never or rarely or sometimes? Neither I, nor the person in the podcast, contend that there are not things like "crazy Christians in Texas who practiced polygamy with underage girls" or ...[text shortened]... like the one where I live, despite its newsworthy problems and bug jar type scandals?
    No and no.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 00:27

For the Christi ...[text shortened]... Then again, perhaps you can do it all on your own. If so, perhaps you should start a religion.
    😴
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 00:28
    No and no.
    Ok.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 00:34
    😴
    It seems we hit the same old wall again.

Go figure.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 00:53
    Christ also spoke of divorce. As he stated, divorce was never the will of God, but it was allowed due to the hardness of the hearts of men. It was a way to survive and try and live in peace as best as they could due to the fact that their hard heart was a chronic and unfixable condition.
    That has nothing to do with your assertion:
    "If slavery was embraced by the Mosaic law then why the Sabbath? Why free any slaves at all? So no, your skewed presentation has not sunk in at all."

The verses cited by SG clearly show that slavery was embraced by Mosaic Law. A brutal version of slavery at that. That's just a fact.

Your denial of this fact does not change it.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 01:56
    It seems we hit the same old wall again.

Go figure.
    You're all about the wall. It's your comfortable hangout. I'm just trying to take you somewhere else. It ain't my fault if you don't want to go. 😵
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 09:02
    Genocide? Murder? Rape? Lying?

Is this a mind that is sober?
    You talking to me?

I dont advocate any of those things.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Apr '12 01:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Thats interesting. Usually it is the Christians who make admitting you are gay difficult. (and other religions).
    I think she means that admitting she is a Christian to other gays is harder than
    when she admitted she was gay. Most gays believe Christians are against them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree