1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 May '13 22:38
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    why does it need to be private?
    It doesn't really need to be private. The Word of God is available to all. I would be more than willing to go into it, but I will not debate about it.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 May '13 01:40
    Originally posted by OdBod
    Science requires ideas to be reviewed in public ,it seems religion must be hidden behind closed doors.
    I think this bit of Matthew covers the public/private controversy.

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
    Therefore when thou doest [thine] alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
    But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
    That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites [are]: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
    But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
    But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen [do]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
    Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him." -- Matthew 6:1-8, KJV

We have many in this thread sounding a trumpet before them.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 May '13 03:12
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I think this bit of Matthew covers the public/private controversy.

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
    Therefore when thou doest [thine] alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glo ...[text shortened]... ask him." -- Matthew 6:1-8, KJV

We have many in this thread sounding a trumpet before them.
    The Instructor is back. Won 2 games, lost 1. 😏
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 May '13 05:07
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Instructor is back. Won 2 games, lost 1. 😏
    You'd better use a stronger chess engine next time.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 May '13 05:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You'd better use a stronger chess engine next time.
    These were just OTB quick rated chess games. You win some and you lose some. At least I won more than I lost. 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree