How petty can a God be?

How petty can a God be?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r

Moves
22 Jul 06

In the same way the wicked will have nothing to say befor GOD.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
23 Jul 06

Originally posted by royaltystatement
As one of the wicked destined for condemnation, I am going to say, "Jesus Christ, God! You're as morally or intellectually backward as that loser royaltystatement!"

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Jul 06

They will blame everyone but themselves, including God more than
likely.
Kelly

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
24 Jul 06

Originally posted by KellyJay
They will blame everyone but themselves, including God more than
likely.
Kelly
I blame God for not having made me a perfect angel who irresistibly inclined towards Him!

He made the mistake of giving me free will, and then I sinned. And now He is going to punish me for giving me the capability to sin, when he could have opted not to! (Assuming that God has free will; if he hasn't, all is forgiven.)

I never asked for free will! I want God to take it way, so I can be inevitably good. But nothing changes, I am stuck with it! So I think God should own up for his share of the responsibility in making me a sinner!

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Jul 06

Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
I blame God for not having made me a perfect angel who irresistibly inclined towards Him!

He made the mistake of giving me free will, and then I sinned. And now He is going to punish me for giving me the capability to sin, when he could have opted not to! (Assuming that God has free will; if he hasn't, all is forgiven.)

I never asked for free wil ...[text shortened]... ith it! So I think God should own up for his share of the responsibility in making me a sinner!
Yea, Adam blamed God for giving him Eve. Some things never
change.
Kelly

r

Moves
24 Jul 06

I never asked for free wil ...[text shortened]... ith it! So I think God should own up for his share of the responsibility in making me a sinner!
God made us mortals so that he would delight more in us than Angels because even through free will we still incline unto him, denying sin though it eats away at our lives.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
24 Jul 06

God made us mortals so that he would delight more in us than Angels because even through free will we still incline unto him, denying sin though it eats away at our lives.
Go away, you horrible individual.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
24 Jul 06

Well, I don't think you have that right.

Now, let's suppose God gave us free will. If so, we can freely choose good or evil. Now suppose that God delights when we do good -- according to you, the reason He gave us free will. However, if He is emotionally responsive to our doing good, then by the same token it probably pains him when we do evil. Now, if it pains God as much that we do evil as it pleasures him that we do good, and if people choose evil actions as often as they choose good ones (and what self-respecting fundamentalist doesn't believe this?), then the result of God's choice is that He will experience net dissatisfaction from giving human beings free will. That wouldn't be a particularly intelligent thing for an omniscient being to do. I think he would have to have another reason. So, what is it, in your view?

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
24 Jul 06
1 edit

Yea, Adam blamed God for giving him Eve. Some things never
change.
Kelly
If I made a robot with free will, and it freely chose to rape and murder your wife, would you then just blame the robot, or would you blame me too, for being the designer of this unreliable creation with the potential to go either way? After all, I could have made a deterministically angelic robot instead.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
24 Jul 06

I want God to take it way, so I can be inevitably good.
Is that your will?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Jul 06
1 edit

If I made a robot with free will, and it freely chose to rape and murder your wife, would you then just blame the robot, or would you blame me too, for being the designer of this unreliable creation with the potential to go either way? After all, I could have made a deterministically angelic robot instead.
Well, which is it, does the robot have free will or not? If the robot has
free will we go after the robot, if the robot doesn't have free will we
go after the creator of the robot. The designer either gave free will or
didn't, that which can and does make choices is responsible for the
choices made. If you claim that you can make that which can only
make good choices you are not then making a free will within your
robot, you cannot have it both ways.
Kelly

h

Cosmos

Moves
25 Jul 06

Well, which is it, does the robot have free will or not? If the robot has
free will we go after the robot, if the robot doesn't have free will we
go after the creator of the robot. The designer either gave free will or
didn't, that which can and does make choices is responsible for the
choices made. If you claim that you can make that which can only
ma ...[text shortened]... s you are not then making a free will within your
robot, you cannot have it both ways.
Kelly
Even if the robot has free will, we would blame the inventor for designing and building the damn thing in the first place!
If the inventor was omnipotent and knew in advance that the robot was going to kill, then surely he is to blame. If the inventor could have done anything when creating the robot, why did the inventor not put in a "inhibitor chip" which prevents the robot from doing evil deeds?

This is analogous to God.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Jul 06

Originally posted by howardgee
Even if the robot has free will, we would blame the inventor for designing and building the damn thing in the first place!
If the inventor was omnipotent and knew in advance that the robot was going to kill, then surely he is to blame. If the inventor could have done anything when creating the robot, why did the inventor not put in a "inhibitor chip" which prevents the robot from doing evil deeds?

This is analogous to God.
Before it was a matter of will, if the robot had free will it acted on its
own, if you don't want the robot to act on its own you cannot give
it free will. You are now saying it no longer matters if the robot acted
in free will or not, it is knowledge of the creator now? The will of the
robot isn't even part of the equation as far as you are concern right?
If you are given a choice, and you make it, it isn't your fault, because
you had a choice to make, and you made it?
Kelly

h

Cosmos

Moves
25 Jul 06

Before it was a matter of will, if the robot had free will it acted on its
own, if you don't want the robot to act on its own you cannot give
it free will. You are now saying it no longer matters if the robot acted
in free will or not, it is knowledge of the creator now? The will of the
robot isn't even part of the equation as far as you are concern rig ...[text shortened]... you make it, it isn't your fault, because
you had a choice to make, and you made it?
Kelly
Yes, but the whole point is that the inventor gave the robot free will, KNOWING that this free will would result in the death of people.
The inventor did not have to give the robot free will. It was a bad decision to give the robot free will.
Do you agree?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
25 Jul 06

If I made a robot with free will, and it freely chose to rape and murder your wife, would you then just blame the robot, or would you blame me too, for being the designer of this unreliable creation with the potential to go either way?
Your analogy is disingenuous; the robot will have to rape and murder other robots to have any valid application.