How many of you?

How many of you?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KM

Moves
29 Jul 09

How many of you have a rating over 1500 on here and go to church at least once a week or read the bible once a week? I ask becuase there seems to be a trend that the more schooling one has the less faith one has. Not looking to get stoned by this question just wondering. Thanks

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
29 Jul 09

Originally posted by Kevin Mcfarland
How many of you have a rating over 1500 on here and go to church at least once a week or read the bible once a week? I ask becuase there seems to be a trend that the more schooling one has the less faith one has. Not looking to get stoned by this question just wondering. Thanks
The limited evidence gathered so far seems to indicate that the higher someone's IQ, the less likely they are to hold religious beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

rc

Moves
29 Jul 09

Originally posted by Proper Knob
The limited evidence gathered so far seems to indicate that the higher someone's IQ, the less likely they are to hold religious beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence
pants, utter and complete pants, and more propaganda to boot, you should know better than that you bad old putty cat!

there have been many great minds who have not limited their search for truth to unintelligent causes, unfortunately for us, we must deal with those who feel that our propensity for thought and creativity was the result of our ancestors dodging sabre tooth tigers, our friend noobster here is one of therm!

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
29 Jul 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
pants, utter and complete pants, and more propaganda to boot, you should know better than that you bad old putty cat!

there have been many great minds who have not limited their search for truth to unintelligent causes, unfortunately for us, we must deal with those who feel that our propensity for thought and creativity was the result of our ancestors dodging sabre tooth tigers, our friend noobster here is one of therm!
Ding Dong, Round #2.

So all the studies are wrong? What's your point?

Moves
29 Jul 09

Ding Dong, Round #2.

The last time I looked into this I noted that the studies didn't stand up to scrutiny. Meta-analyses simply melted into half quotes on a collection of methodologically flawed surveys when you chased up the sources. Still maybe things have moved on since then. Anybody got some really good data?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Jul 09
2 edits

Before that, you have to plausibly explain the relationship between chess rating and intelligence. Often a person is skilled at chess because of frequent practice and a memorisation of certain sequences of moves. They need not possess any high intelligence or disposition to tactical brilliance; good chess playing has just become a learnt behaviour.

For the three or four years I have been on this site, my rating has zigzagged between 1300 and 1500, not because of religious fervour or lack of, but because my motivation and interest varies, and in certain parts of the year, I have less time to concentrate on my moves. While there must be a link between chess skill and intelligence to some extent, it is unlikely to be the decisive factor. What matters is time, enthusiasm and practice.

Moves
29 Jul 09

my rating is always around 1500, i don't go to church nor read the bible. last iq test i did i got 127......what does this tell you?

absolutely nothing.

rc

Moves
29 Jul 09
3 edits

Ding Dong, Round #2.

The King of Chess, Mr. R J . Fischer was an avid reader of Gods word the Bible, despite the fact that he had a very bad experience from those to whom he shared an ethnic affinity and to those who were so called christians. It is reported that his I.Q was in the region of the high 180s, perhaps as high as 187, almost three times as much as your average sabre tooth tiger dodger and those who have limited their search for truth to unintelligent causes!! R.I.P, R.J. Fischer.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
29 Jul 09
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
The King of Chess, Mr. R J . Fischer was an avid reader of Gods word the Bible, despite the fact that he had a very bad experience from those to whom he shared an ethnic affinity and to those who were so called christians. It is reported that his I.Q was in the region of the high 180s, perhaps as high as 187, almost three times as much as your avera ...[text shortened]... nd those who have limited their search for truth to unintelligent causes!! R.I.P, R.J. Fischer.
Read my original post Robbie, and this time look at what is says and not what you think it says, and then tell me where you've gone wrong.

KM

Moves
29 Jul 09

Originally posted by Conrau K
Before that, you have to plausibly explain the relationship between chess rating and intelligence. Often a person is skilled at chess because of frequent practice and a memorisation of certain sequences of moves. They need not possess any high intelligence or disposition to tactical brilliance; good chess playing has just become a learnt behaviour.

For ...[text shortened]... extent, it is unlikely to be the decisive factor. What matters is time, enthusiasm and practice.
Ya I agree with rating maybe not having much to do with intelligence. But I am still wanting to know my question? It seems only low rated guys on here talk about there faith.

rc

Moves
29 Jul 09

Read my original post Robbie, and this time look at what is says and not what you think it says, and then tell me where you've gone wrong.
i am sorry noobster, i cannot see it, is it hidden in the cloak of language? is the concept too far reaching and brilliant that i am unable to grasp it as Icarus tried to grasp for the sun? the facts remains, the original poster has tried to draw a correlation between, chess, religious observance and intelligence, as far as I can discern, Fischers record is unparalleled and a ready candidate to refute your claim. Anyhow my friend, it is late, i have worked hard today in the sun, my mind is about to reach a state of critical mass and when that happens i start to imagine, so it is quite possible that i have missed your intent and I ask your continuing patience for it.

rc

Moves
29 Jul 09
1 edit

Ya I agree with rating maybe not having much to do with intelligence. But I am still wanting to know my question? It seems only low rated guys on here talk about there faith.
it is not always the case, for there are not a few highly rated players, who for one reason or another, do not post their thoughts in the spirituality forum, yet they have a profound and living faith.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Jul 09

My rating stays around 1700 here, in addition over the board USCF I
have had it a lot higher than that, and I'm a Christian that studies
scripture, and that tells you what?
Kelly

KM

Moves
29 Jul 09

Originally posted by KellyJay
My rating stays around 1700 here, in addition over the board USCF I
have had it a lot higher than that, and I'm a Christian that studies
scripture, and that tells you what?
Kelly
Nothing just wanting to know if there were any higher rated players that were serious about there faith. So far you are the first to step forward. Thank you for responding to my post.

jb

Moves
29 Jul 09

Pretty ridiculous thinking chess rating is an IQ indicator. Take a case where someone that eat, breaths, and sleeps chess to the point the casual player cannot beat him. There are extremely intelligent people in every religion there is. Just cause they beleive differently and their minds click with whatever belief system they have chosen doesn't mean there is a lack of intelligence. It is faith that these folks have somehow been able to achieve. More power to them.