How did it all begin?

How did it all begin?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

England

Moves
25 Nov 05

im on the big bang as a christian seems like the way god started it to me. But i wonder were and as the galaxys are traveling away is there older galaxys than we , if so maybe life is older than we out there?.

Moves
25 Nov 05
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
One meaning of explosion according to google is:
[b]a sudden great increase; "the population explosion"; "the information explosion"

The "sudden great increase" refered to in the Big Bang Theory is and increase in the volume of space and not and movement of particles outwards into some larger space. This has always been part of the Theory wit ...[text shortened]... tial post describe the other kind of explosion and therefore invalidates most of your arguments.[/b]
Do you know which Big Bang theory I am talking about? If space just expanded, where did the matter come from? The Big Bang you are talking about cannot be the one that created the universe. I am refering to the 'overall' Big Bang theory, you are refering to the modified one that cannot explain the origin of the universe.

Please explain to me how the expansion of "space" can create the universe.

"Space" by definition is "The expanse in which the solar system, stars, and galaxies exist; the universe."

If 'space' expanded it means it was never created... I'm sure you can figure out that that is illogical.

See: http://www.rubak.com/article.cfm?ID=14

Cape Town

Moves
25 Nov 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
The simplest known living organism has a thread of DNA containing information equivalent to hundreds of books full of complex information. The probability of producing that by chance is absolutely mind-boggling.

So you have a degree in Maths. Good. Tell me what is the probability of arranging the simple letters of the alphabet by means of random chance ...[text shortened]... o a volume of meaningful information? You need some form of inteligent sorting mechanism, right?
No you do not need intelligence. That is what the whole theory of evolution is about. The probablility of getting meaningfull information from random letters is a lot higher than you think but is not a requirement of evolution that large volumes be produced. The whole essence of the Theory of Evolution is that as random words and phrases are produced from the letters they are kept and recombined untill more meaninfull phrases are found untill eventually you have a complete set of volumes. The whole process does not use intelligence unless like Halitose you consider the physical laws of the universe such as gravity to be inteligence. If you do then evolution is intelligent design.

In mathematics there are some paterns known as fractals.
Have a look at some pictures here:
http://www.jracademy.com/~jtucek/math/picts.html
or just search the web for "fractals"
These are a clear example of complex patterns arising from very simple formulas usually via itteration which is very simmilar to the mechanism of evolution.

Probability:
The mistake you have made in trying to understand it is a common one. The probability of a particular word arising in a random stream of letters is very low but if the stream is long enough it will still occur. However the probability of any word occuring is much much higher.

Moves
25 Nov 05

Originally posted by stocken
[b]Here's a link to get you started to the whole debate:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_argument

Yes, but the cosmological argument assumes that there has to be a a first cause that is not itself caused by anything else, yet it accepts the fact that all events must have causes.

I find that confusing. If everything must have a cause, th ...[text shortened]... t we need to think much harder to come up with a viable theory about the origin of the universe.[/b]
I suggest you check out the The Kalam Cosmological Argument:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/billramey/kalam.htm

Moves
25 Nov 05

[b]Does it not make sense that God is the inifinite source of intelligence?

No, it does not. Not to me. Perhaps I'm a dipwit, but to me an explanation must take into account everything related to the concept we're trying to explain.

Infinite things are impossible things. They really are. They can only exist as thoughts in our heads. Nothin ...[text shortened]... rehend (maybe because we're made through the same process).

\[Edit]: Or so I believe[/b]
Infinite things are impossible things

Would you like to prove this statement? Did you do maths at school? Did you do the numberline? Do you remember the numberline streching from infinity? Do you not believe infinity is possible? why?

Moves
25 Nov 05

[b]This is only one of the ad hoc theories used to try and save the big bang some embaresment.

Why is it embarrasing to admit you're wrong and to seek new answers when your theories are questioned on a solid foundation? Is it not more embarrasing to stick with old ideas when they're placed in the light of doubt?

We learn more and more all the tim ...[text shortened]... ometimes it directly contradicts older beliefs, but that's no reason to not consider new ideas.[/b]
Why is it embarrasing to admit you're wrong and to seek new answers when your theories are questioned on a solid foundation?

Ask the people that still believe in the Big Bang. They'll tell you.😉

S

Moves
25 Nov 05

[b]Infinite things are impossible things

Would you like to prove this statement? Did you do maths at school? Did you do the numberline? Do you remember the numberline streching from infinity? Do you not believe infinity is possible? why?[/b]
I agree with Stocken. Maybe because we're friends we've infected each others thoughts so much that we start to say the same things.

Infinity in mathematics is a concept. Is it not? The fact that a line in mathematics can't have ends, or that there's an infinite sequence of lower and higher numbers, doesn't mean that it's a physical reality. It's a way of grasping that which we cannot understand.

s

Moves
25 Nov 05

[b]Why is it embarrasing to admit you're wrong and to seek new answers when your theories are questioned on a solid foundation?

Ask the people that still believe in the Big Bang. They'll tell you.😉[/b]
But I'm asking you... You're the one who claims it's embarassing... why is it?..

I think it's embarassing to cling to old ideas when new evidence speak against them, simply because it's insulting to my own intelligence. Why do you think it's embarassing to be wrong and correct yourself? Does it make you any less credible?

Moves
25 Nov 05

Originally posted by Soothing
I agree with Stocken. Maybe because we're friends we've infected each others thoughts so much that we start to say the same things.

Infinity in mathematics is a concept. Is it not? The fact that a line in mathematics can't have ends, or that there's an infinite sequence of lower and higher numbers, doesn't mean that it's a physical reality. It's a way of grasping that which we cannot understand.
Well I suppose you should ask yourself whether only the physical reality exists.

I suppose it depends on whether or not you have ever experienced the supernatural.

As I have experienced the supernatural, I believe it exists. You however, have probably never experienced the supernatural and thus you do not believe it exists. You can be justified in your beliefs, but is would be impossible for you to make the statement that the supernatural does not exist, simply because you have not experienced it.

Moves
25 Nov 05

But I'm asking you... You're the one who claims it's embarassing... why is it?..

I think it's embarassing to cling to old ideas when new evidence speak against them, simply because it's insulting to my own intelligence. Why do you think it's embarassing to be wrong and correct yourself? Does it make you any less credible?
I actually claimed that the people that believe in the Big Bang continually adapt their theory with ad hoc theories which is not scientific and should thus actually be an embarassment to them because they are not willing to accept that their theory is wrong.

Moves
25 Nov 05

No you do not need intelligence. That is what the whole theory of evolution is about. The probablility of getting meaningfull information from random letters is a lot higher than you think but is not a requirement of evolution that large volumes be produced. The whole essence of the Theory of Evolution is that as random words and phrases are produced from ...[text shortened]... gh it will still occur. However the probability of [b]any word occuring is much much higher.[/b]
OK lets look at the probability of the formation of the simplest life form without an intelligent mechanism. Do you know what types of impossibilities you are looking at?

Cape Town

Moves
25 Nov 05

Do you know which Big Bang theory I am talking about? If space just expanded, where did the matter come from? The Big Bang you are talking about cannot be the one that created the universe. I am refering to the 'overall' Big Bang theory, you are refering to the modified one that cannot explain the origin of the universe.

Please explain to me how the e ...[text shortened]... sure you can figure out that that is illogical.

See: http://www.rubak.com/article.cfm?ID=14
The reference you have given is by someone who disputes the theory. Can you give me one reference to any scientific document which states that the Big Bang theory has to do with matter exploding (as you imply) and not space exploding.

Moves
25 Nov 05

The reference you have given is by someone who disputes the theory. Can you give me one reference to any scientific document which states that the Big Bang theory has to do with matter exploding (as you imply) and not space exploding.
I quote: "The Big Bang Theory is the dominant scientific theory about the origin of the universe. According to the big bang, the universe was created sometime between 10 billion and 20 billion years ago from a cosmic explosion that hurled matter and in all directions."

http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/academy/universe/b_bang.html

s

Moves
25 Nov 05

I actually claimed that the people that believe in the Big Bang continually adapt their theory with ad hoc theories which is not scientific and should thus actually be an embarassment to them because they are not willing to accept that their theory is wrong.
I see what you mean.

To use a pure scientific method to a problem of this magnitude is hard, you have to agree. You cannot test the Big Bang. Just like you cannot test for God's existence. Whether you like to admit it or not, there are many flaws in the concept of God if you're willing enough to consider them. But you christians continually revise your intepretations of the good book to fit your needs. Now (as I understand it) God did not create the world in seven days. That was just a way to describe it to those without the knowledge to grasp the concept of evolution. Then again, some of you still believe that the world was created in seven days. There are many viewpoints to the problem of explaining universe, so there are bound to be many conflicting theories. You may accept part of what someone else says, but disagree in other parts. You should not be ashamed if you're proven wrong and need to revise your theories. It will teach you something useful about yourself, if nothing else.

Now, ad hoc theories may be viewed as desparate attempts by proponents of one camp to save face (in which case, yes, it is embarassing), but they can also be seen as an attempt to understand the inconsistencies in a theory; to make it whole (in which case I would call them revisions, rather than ad hoc).

Moves
25 Nov 05
1 edit

I see what you mean.

To use a pure scientific method to a problem of this magnitude is hard, you have to agree. You cannot test the Big Bang. Just like you cannot test for God's existence. Whether you like to admit it or not, there are many flaws in the concept of God if you're willing enough to consider them. But you christians continually revise your ...[text shortened]... s in a theory; to make it whole (in which case I would call them revisions, rather than ad hoc).
To use a pure scientific method to a problem of this magnitude is hard, you have to agree. You cannot test the Big Bang. Just like you cannot test for God's existence.

True. That is why I said that with matters of origin it is a matter of faith. I put my faith in God. The one that believes in the Big Bang puts his faith in dirt.

. Whether you like to admit it or not, there are many flaws in the concept of God if you're willing enough to consider them.

Could you please enlighten me...