How can we know the Bible is true?

How can we know the Bible is true?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
26 May 05

Originally posted by bobbob1056th
But they are not sound religions.
what is that supposed to mean? if you have some knowledge of why certain religions are 'more sound' than others, please enlighten me. or at least define 'more sound' as used in this context.

s

Moves
26 May 05

Ok. There are many witnesses for what the Bible has to say. And there are thousands of manuscripts, all conforming to what each other say over 99% (The Bible is by far the most accurate ancient document). Nothing the Bible says has been refuted. Many of the things the Bible says have been proven true. There's even proof that Hell is below the earth. The Bible is by far the most popular of any literary work ever (best selling for over 500 years in a row). I'm not very educated in teaching the soundness of Christianity but these are a few things I am aware of. You could always find more if you wanted to. And as for the unsoundness of other religions I am unaware except for the obviously violent nature of muslam.

s

Moves
26 May 05

P.s. I'm talking on the phone with my Dad (still) so I don't know if anything of what I just wrote makes any sense.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
26 May 05

Originally posted by svidlerontheroof
Ok. There are many witnesses for what the Bible has to say. And there are thousands of manuscripts, all conforming to what each other say over 99% (The Bible is by far the most accurate ancient document). Nothing the Bible says has been refuted. Many of the things the Bible says have been proven true. There's even proof that Hell is below the ...[text shortened]... e unsoundness of other religions I am unaware except for the obviously violent nature of muslam.
"Nothing the Bible says been refuted."

For the same reason that Bigfoot's existence (uh-oh, here comes Coletti!) has never been disproven.

Read the Old Testament. There you will find the violence you seek. Hell, read the New Testament too - plenty of violence in both.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
26 May 05

Originally posted by svidlerontheroof
P.s. I'm talking on the phone with my Dad (still) so I don't know if anything of what I just wrote makes any sense.
But I bet you're getting better at taking dictation.

The Apologist

Moves
26 May 05

Originally posted by Metamorphosis
The Judeo-Christian Bible is an interesting book but not as outstanding as some Christian scholars strive to make it out to be. It is not the oldest religious scripture. The Egyptian Pyramid Texts and Papyrus of Ani, the Hindu-Vedic Rig Veda, Upanishads, Bhagavad-Gita, and Patanjali's Sutras, as well as the Buddhist Dhammapada, and the Taoist Tao Te C ...[text shortened]... our own personal spiritual development and leave fundamentalism to the politically inclined.
When are you claiming the first book of the OT was written?

In terms of prophecy, most Oriental religion regards psychic aspects such as prophecy to be the concern of inferior minds that still are immersed in the illusions of time. The future is irrelevant to spiritual realization. It is, however, of interest to politics, which is ultimately what prophecy serves.

Sorry, all I read there was 'blah blah excuse blah excuse blah blah'. No prophecy = not supernatural.

I forgot how subtly arrogant your posts were, Meta. It's good to be back.

f

Moves
26 May 05

all religions have their own book, which they also claim to be true, but each one excludes the other - the book of Mormon, is contrary to what the Q'uran (Islam) teaches as truth, and the truth claims in the bible are contrary to them, and so on... Because of this, they cannot be all true, either one is truth and the other worldwide belief systems are false, including atheism, or every book is false, and atheism is left, the bible can be shown to be trust worthy though, unlike the other religious books the Bible can be shown to be historical, through archaeology, it names, people, events, which can be confirmed, and did you know the bible is backed by over 28,000 manuscripts - Latin, which means hand-written -another thing which speaks to the truth of the bible, is its fulfilled prophecy! no other book of any world religion offers, even close to the verifiable evidence, that the bible does!

M

Moves
26 May 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Darfius
When are you claiming the first book of the OT was written?

In terms of prophecy, most Oriental religion regards psychic aspects such as prophecy to be the concern of inferior minds that still are immersed in the illusions of time. The ...[text shortened]... how subtly arrogant your posts were, Meta. It's good to be back.
Prophecy, miracles, walking on water, Jesus returning in clouds, etc., are all childish stuff. The "supernatural" is but a crutch for weak individuals to depend on in the fear of their own mortality.

As for your ad hominem remark, you can shove it up your ass, punk.

The Apologist

Moves
26 May 05

Prophecy, miracles, walking on water, Jesus returning in clouds, etc., are all childish stuff. The "supernatural" is but a crutch for weak individuals to depend on in the fear of their own mortality.

Death wasn't even frightening before I became a Christian, so I guess I'm an exception to your 'rule'.

"Nietzsche is dead." -God

Whoa, Meta, calm down, you should meditate or something.

Can you answer my question about the date of Genesis' penning now?

M

Moves
26 May 05

Originally posted by Darfius
Death wasn't even frightening before I became a Christian, so I guess I'm an exception to your 'rule'.

"Nietzsche is dead." -God

Whoa, Meta, calm down, you should meditate or something.

Can you answer my question about the date of Genesis' penning now?
You slap at someone, you're going to get slapped back. As you give, so shall you receive. Unless your mother taught you that you can crap on people and get away with it. Many mother's boys believe that, alas...

Do your own homework about Genesis. I've already done the research. And while you're at it, do your homework for those "other religions", and you'll see that my post was accurate.

b

Moves
26 May 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
There have been hundreds of books written on the subject of the evidences of the divine inspiration of the Bible, and these evidences are many and varied. Most people today, unfortunately, have not read any of these books. In fact, few have even read the Bible itself! Thus, many people tend to go along with the popular delusion that the Bible is full of mi ...[text shortened]... eets every need for both time and eternity.

http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t003.html
Tbe best way of knowing that THE WORD OF GOD is true. Is that no one has ever proven it wrong.

b

Moves
26 May 05

Prophecy, miracles, walking on water, Jesus returning in clouds, etc., are all childish stuff.
And your post wasn't childish? Or these discusions? How about this thread? Even this Spirituality forum is childish, this is a chess site. The only reason there is a Spirituality forum is because people have views on this subject that they are not willing to compromise. Which makes it pointless to discuss such things in the first place. Is anyone here willing to change their views? If not I find this rather pointless.

L

Moves
26 May 05

Originally posted by blindfaith101
Tbe best way of knowing that THE WORD OF GOD is true. Is that no one has ever proven it wrong.
this is not a good criterion.

to my knowledge, no one has ever proven that the statement 'god does not exist' is wrong either. by your reasoning, that must mean that god does not exist.

if everything were that easy, then we could just pistol-whip all the conclusions that we wanted, and we wouldn't have spirituality debate forums.

the word of god may be true; it may not be true.

b

Moves
26 May 05

Originally posted by LemonJello
this is not a good criterion.

to my knowledge, no one has ever proven that the statement 'god does not exist' is wrong either. by your reasoning, that must mean that god does not exist.

if everything were that easy, then we could just pistol-whip all the conclusions that we wanted, and we wouldn't have spirituality debate forums.

the word of god may be true; it may not be true.
One may not know or understand that GOD is real. But does that really matter? GOD does exist. Whether we want Him to or not. If a person goes through life believeing that GOD does not exsist, to him HE does not. There is no one that can prove to anyone that GOD exsists when they believe HE doesn't. When GOD calls you, HE will give plenty of proof that HE exsist. Most importantly, God has chosen before the creation of the earth who would come to HIM and be saved. And there have been many that believed before they got saved, that there was no GOD. You may be one.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
26 May 05
1 edit

I admire your eloquence. 🙂

Somewhere these people got the idea that its ok for then to insult people but cry like stuck pigs if they get it back in kind.

lol I do like the way you stuck that one to him.

btw heres a useful site:

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html