How can a morally ambiguous God...

How can a morally ambiguous God...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
04 Sep 06

... send people to heaven and hell?

Easily.

Moves
04 Sep 06

Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
... send people to heaven and hell?

Easily.
You can define anything the way you want it to be.

Unless you have an absolute point of reference.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
04 Sep 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
You can define anything the way you want it to be.

Unless you have an absolute point of reference.
But isn't the choice of an absolute point of reference equally arbitrary?

Moves
04 Sep 06

But isn't the choice of an absolute point of reference equally arbitrary?
In order to make sense of reality you require an absolute point of reference.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
04 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by dj2becker
In order to make sense of reality you require an absolute point of reference.
Maybe. But you didn't answer my question. I repeat: isn't your choice of an absolute point of reference arbitrary?

Moves
04 Sep 06
1 edit

Maybe. But you didn't answer my question. I repeat: isn't your choice of an absolute point of reference arbitrary?
I guess if you choose not to make sense of reality you are free to do so.

l

London

Moves
05 Sep 06

What do you mean by "arbitrary"?

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
05 Sep 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
What do you mean by "arbitrary"?
I mean, why agree with the alleged pronouncements of a deity on morality? What makes them automatically valid? Why not use Peter Singer's pronoucements instead as a non-arbitrary reference point, and then judge all other moralities as arbitrary in light of it? dj2becker is not factoring in his own subjectivity in electing to subscribe Christian morality as a matter of faith.

l

London

Moves
05 Sep 06

I mean, why agree with the alleged pronouncements of a deity on morality? What makes them automatically valid? Why not use Peter Singer's pronoucements instead as a non-arbitrary reference point, and then judge all other moralities as arbitrary in light of it? dj2becker is not factoring in his own subjectivity in electing to subscribe Christian morality as a matter of faith.
Why adhere to the laws made by Congress? Why respect the executive authority of the President? Or the authority of the Supreme Court? What makes them automatically valid?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Sep 06

Why adhere to the laws made by Congress? Why respect the executive authority of the President? Or the authority of the Supreme Court? What makes them automatically valid?
The entities you mention are at least concrete. You can verify the existence of a Congressman, or the President, whatever his or her state of mind. Then if you disagree with a law you can protest, lobby, possibly effect change. The same cannot be said for YKW.

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
05 Sep 06

Nothing makes them automatically valid. They are simply conditions for living free within the US. Whether or not they are 'valid' is not at issue.

A-

l

London

Moves
05 Sep 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
The entities you mention are at least concrete. You can verify the existence of a Congressman, or the President, whatever his or her state of mind. Then if you disagree with a law you can protest, lobby, possibly effect change. The same cannot be said for YKW.
You haven't answered my questions.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Sep 06

You haven't answered my questions.
Why adhere to the law? Out of agreement; out of fear; out of habit...Only force compels one to obey. Many don't.

l

London

Moves
05 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by TheSkipper
Nothing makes them automatically valid. They are simply conditions for living free within the US. Whether or not they are 'valid' is not at issue.

A-
If nothing makes them "automatically" valid, then are they valid at all? If so why?

You say the validity of these authorities is not at issue. I'm not sure Pkh would see things your way.

In any case, if one were to assume your framework, one could just as easily say that divinely commanded/mandated/originated morality is simply the condition for living free within the universe (or anywhere, for that matter).

l

London

Moves
05 Sep 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Why adhere to the law? Out of agreement; out of fear; out of habit...Only force compels one to obey. Many don't.
Do you believe that the laws of Congress are binding on residents of the US and its territories? Do you believe that people who violate these laws should be punished? Why or why not?