1. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    24 Apr '24 21:20
    having been raised a Catholic ,I've always wondered about the Holy Ghost. Like who the heck is this entity ? Now I believe it was the church's attempt to understand the Extraterrestrial being who came from outer space !! All religions are based on their experiences with ETs !!
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Apr '24 22:06
    @mlb62 said
    having been raised a Catholic ,I've always wondered about the Holy Ghost. Like who the heck is this entity ? Now I believe it was the church's attempt to understand the Extraterrestrial being who came from outer space !! All religions are based on their experiences with ETs !!
    The Spirit of God.
  3. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 02:53
    @kellyjay said
    The Spirit of God.
    what is that supposed to mean ? why isn't every Christian on Earth the Holy Ghost then ?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 04:42
    @mlb62 said
    All religions are based on their experiences with ETs
    What makes you believe this?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 05:07
    @mlb62 said
    Have you read any of the New Testament?
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 05:451 edit
    @mlb62

"Ghost" is an infelicitous choice of words, because it suggests to most people the immaterial remnant of a once-embodied personality (something like 'Nearly Headless Nick' in Harry Potter). "Holy spirit" is a slightly better formulation insofar as one takes the word "spirit" as in "the spirit, rather than the letter, of the law." In Christian theology (don't ask me to quote the Bible here because Christian theology was formulated long after the gospels were canonized) the Holy Spirit is wholly abstract, not any sort of personality. Think of Plotinus ... think of Parmenides's The One ... Think of Plato's Forms ... it is no accident that I am referring you to Greek philosophers, because that is who early Christian theologians (Origen et al) based Christian theology on too. Without Greek philosophy, there would be no Christian theology. Think of a wholly de-personalized power indwelling in a person who has faith.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 08:56
    @mlb62 said
    what is that supposed to mean ? why isn't every Christian on Earth the Holy Ghost then ?
    The relationship is He is like Christ, when Jesus walked the planet taught us and led us, but unlike then He dwells in us. Jesus was limited in human form the Holy Spirit isn’t. He doesn’t overwhelm us, we do become born again, He starts to sanctifying us, making us like Christ. Without the Holy Spirit we don’t belong to God.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 12:51
    @moonbus said
    @mlb62

"Ghost" is an infelicitous choice of words, because it suggests to most people the immaterial remnant of a once-embodied personality (something like 'Nearly Headless Nick' in Harry Potter). "Holy spirit" is a slightly better formulation insofar as one takes the word "spirit" as in "the spirit, rather than the letter, of the law." In Christian theology (don't ask m ...[text shortened]... no Christian theology. Think of a wholly de-personalized power indwelling in a person who has faith.
    This is an interesting take.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 12:57
    @moonbus said
    @mlb62

"Ghost" is an infelicitous choice of words, because it suggests to most people the immaterial remnant of a once-embodied personality (something like 'Nearly Headless Nick' in Harry Potter). "Holy spirit" is a slightly better formulation insofar as one takes the word "spirit" as in "the spirit, rather than the letter, of the law." In Christian theology (don't ask m ...[text shortened]... no Christian theology. Think of a wholly de-personalized power indwelling in a person who has faith.
    "Without Greek philosophy, there would be no Christian theology."

God, as defined in the scriptures, is responsible for the existence of everything.

After creation a will arose against the will of God. Since then everybody seems to think they know how everything works better than God, to the extent that they think they can define God himself.

To do so they must eradicate from their thinking any possibility that God superintended the transmission of his will in written form.

I'd hate to be the one bucking against God's will just because I think I'm smarter than him, and can't rationalize beyond the interests of my own will.
  10. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 13:56
    @Suzianne have you read the Book of Enoch or the Book of Ezekiel ? They state exactly what happened when the saw the Extraterrestials ! Many religious leaders from that time frame saw "spirits" who were outer space beings !!
  11. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 13:59
    @moonbus said
    @mlb62

I see that living in the shed with Herman's goat has done you some good. A very impressive listing of who is who in the world of the spirit of true philosophy. Let us add Pythagoras to the list, and it will get us closer to the essence of the spirit of the Holy Ghost.

When the body is shed, only the spirit remains. Or if we want to scare the children, it's a ghost of a story. The story of the spirit of truth, which is the truth of the immortality of the soul.

Joel: And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

YouTube
  12. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 14:02
    @mlb62 said
    @Suzianne have you read the Book of Enoch or the Book of Ezekiel ? They state exactly what happened when the saw the Extraterrestials ! Many religious leaders from that time frame saw "spirits" who were outer space beings !!
    You must have read Chariots of The Gods, by Erich von Däniken?
  13. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 17:101 edit
    yes I have. So explain to me why the Pope has already admitted that ETs do exist and that God made them, but put them on a different planet. The the pope ( at that time) removed the Book of Enoch from the Bible because it stated clearly he went on their space ship !! The Book of Enoch was too hot to handle !
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 17:14
    @suzianne said
    This is an interesting take.
    The Catholics overthink everything. It’s a habit they picked up after Origen read Plato, and they can’t walk it back it now after so many centuries of torturing logic to make the incredible credible.

Protestants put less emphasis on the doctrines (the Trinity and all that) and more on the personal conviction aspect.
  15. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 20:03
    @mlb62 said
    yes I have. So explain to me why the Pope has already admitted that ETs do exist and that God made them, but put them on a different planet. The the pope ( at that time) removed the Book of Enoch from the Bible because it stated clearly he went on their space ship !! The Book of Enoch was too hot to handle !
    You are in the realm of fringe conspiracy theories or misinterpretations of historical texts. It's crucial to approach such information with a critical eye, seeking out credible sources and relying on established historical and theological knowledge.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree