Her Fluxive Eyes

Her Fluxive Eyes

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
02 Jun 10

Originally posted by Palynka
100 tries a second? LOL! Even a ZX Spectrum could probably do better than that.
What do you think would be considered the fastest act of nature at the molecular level?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
02 Jun 10

Originally posted by FreakyKBH

"Dear Gentle Reader,
I am a Bible-believing Christian who's singular mission within this forum is to convince as many people as possible to substitute their work for the work done on their behalf on the cross by the Lord Jesus Christ. Doing so will place them in a state of eternal bliss/joy/wonderment; whereas rejection of this exchange will keep them ...[text shortened]... e to see you in heaven is in the forefront of all my conversations with you.
Love,
Freaky"
It could be a sticky thread. Or slap it in your profile.

Be sure to mention that you're a premillenial dispensationalist. It'd decomplexify matters for a heap a folks.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
02 Jun 10

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
It could be a sticky thread. Or slap it in your profile.

Be sure to mention that you're a premillenial dispensationalist. It'd decomplexify matters for a heap a folks.
HoH, you always make me giggle like a little girl.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
02 Jun 10

HoH, you always make me giggle like a little girl.
HoH ... ?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
02 Jun 10

Make it 13.75 billion computers and re-do the math. See what it yields. Just keep in mind the computer is programmed and full of information.
It's a pretty rubbish analogy anyway. First, there's probably something like 170 billion galaxies in the observable universe. For arguments sake, let's say 100 billion stars per galaxy.... Secondly, you're assuming it's a purely random process, which hardly a given. Chaos theory shows the propensity for order to spontaneously arise from chaotic conditions in an entirely un-random way. So.... busted.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
02 Jun 10
1 edit

[b]I assume you're leading up to the argument that since the probability of *this* universe was so unlikely then it had to be created by God.
Right now, we're just simply showing the overwhelming and profound unlikeliness that chance or randomness had anything to do with anything significant.

... tell me the odds of the resulting splodge on your ...[text shortened]... collection of shapes (down to every last molecule).
That random non-specific non-shape?[/b]
Who is saying the significant things you'll be talking about got here by chance?? In fact, what do you mean when you say "by chance"?

As for your last point, Yes that "random non specific non shape" What was the probability (once the splodge has been formed) that it would take that particular shape as opposed to some other shape? (again, consider there are *lots* of coffee molecules) No need to be too numerically specific btw.

u
Sharp Edge

Dulling my blade

Moves
02 Jun 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Only because this is not science.

Some belives that an article with more than three numbers in it is in fact scientific. Not so.

The example of the original poster is of course about religion. I.e. not science.
1- This is science. Outside of any motivation of the initial post, this is just a stupid experiment with recorded results, hence science as far as I'm concerned, albeit fairly faulty.

2- Fairly unfair to say that just because it has to deal with spirituality, it cannot deal with science.

The connection with spirituality Freaky is supposedly trying to attest is shaky at best. I get it.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
03 Jun 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I eagerly wait for the proof that the creating god is the same as the christian god.
As do I. I've eyed off some nice crosses and some more palatable pics for my room, eagerly awaiting , as I know the proof is just around the corner.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
03 Jun 10

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
HoH ... ?
My bad. You and HoH share a common sense of humor (in my opinion) and in my haste, I gave him the credit. Sorry!

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
03 Jun 10

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
It's a pretty rubbish analogy anyway. First, there's probably something like 170 billion galaxies in the observable universe. For arguments sake, let's say 100 billion stars per galaxy.... Secondly, you're assuming it's a purely random process, which hardly a given. Chaos theory shows the propensity for order to spontaneously arise from chaotic conditions in an entirely un-random way. So.... busted.
It's a pretty rubbish analogy anyway.
In what regard, exactly?

First, there's probably something like 170 billion galaxies in the observable universe.
Okay, but this experiment to eke out a childishly simple sequence of otherwise meaningless letters is the equivalent of a quattuordecillion possibilities... assuming I have my zeros in the right spots.

Secondly, you're assuming it's a purely random process, which hardly a given.
Well, by all means, tell us what the source of this intelligent impetus.

Chaos theory shows the propensity for order to spontaneously arise from chaotic conditions in an entirely un-random way. So.... busted.
Very well. Describe the structure which existed in the moment that time began.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
03 Jun 10

Originally posted by Agerg
Who is saying the significant things you'll be talking about got here by chance?? In fact, what do you mean when you say "by chance"?

As for your last point, Yes that "random non specific non shape" What was the probability (once the splodge has been formed) that it would take that particular shape as opposed to some other shape? (again, consider there are *lots* of coffee molecules) No need to be too numerically specific btw.
Who is saying the significant things you'll be talking about got here by chance??
What are the other options?

What was the probability (once the splodge has been formed) that it would take that particular shape as opposed to some other shape?
Totally quantifiable--- and predictable--- armed with the parameters of the situation, i.e., the wall's surface, humidity, trajectory of the throw, amount of liquid, distance, etc., etc., etc.. The wild card in the experiment: there was a target.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Jun 10

Right now, we're just simply showing the overwhelming and profound unlikeliness that chance or randomness had anything to do with anything significant.
But your initial post shows nothing of the sort. I suspect your confusion is caused by your understanding of what 'significant' means. Perhaps you would like to elaborate what you mean by 'significant' and how significant things differ from insignificant things, and why they are more improbable.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Jun 10

"Dear Gentle Reader,
I am a Bible-believing Christian who's singular mission within this forum is to convince as many people as possible to substitute their work for the work done on their behalf on the cross by the Lord Jesus Christ. ...
Well then my advice to you is not to create threats about subjects you clearly don't understand in the hope of convincing others that you know more about reality than them. It is self defeating.
If your purpose is to learn, then I have no problem, and the discussion could be fruitful, but if you hope to convince me that the thought experiment proves something about the universe other than basic probability theory, then you will not get very far, because I already know otherwise.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Jun 10

This might help those who what to really understand how the universe works:
There is an ongoing scientific experiment called rosetta@home.
http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/
They seek to determine the shape of proteins using computers.
They know what atoms and molecules make up a protein and what order they are connected in, but they do not know what angles they connect at.
What they do know is that the protein in nature seeks the lowest energy position.
If they were to simply randomly try out angles similar to the first post of this thread, the number of possibilities would be infinite as angles can be subdivided infinitely, but even if we were to try to be approximate, we would quickly run into the problem in the first post in that there are too many possible combinations to get anywhere significant in a reasonable amount of time.
There are several things to note here:
1. The experiment does use an awful lot of computing power (Thier worldwide super computer is currently running at about 105 TeraFLOPS)
2. They have been very successful at predicting actual protein shapes.
3. Proteins in nature solve the problem in microseconds.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Jun 10
1 edit

It must be noted in this discussion that the universe in general does not operate by pure randomness. Anything that is directional is a non-random process. For example gravity pulls things in one specific direction. Something as simple as gravity results in sorting, rather than mixing.
All the forces of nature are directional and all of them result in organization into specific patterns. Without these non-random forces, a single atom would be so rare that it probably would never have once occurred in the known lifetime of the universe.

But randomness does play a significant role in all processes. So when Freaky says:
he is clearly wrong.
What he should have said is that pure randomness does not generally lead to a specific predetermined pattern - but what else is new?