Hell=Death?

Hell=Death?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
08 Sep 05
1 edit

Originally posted by frogstomp
Thats a recurring number in the OT. vistesd has a decent theory on it.

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Pssst, vistesd--I know your monkey mind is active at the moment--remind of number 42, with special reference to Elisha & his bears?

Originally posted by genius
and what is your point with the 42? why does it make you suspicious?

The number 42 is a loaded number. I'm waiting for visestd to explain it (he has a good theory) but it basically has to do with numerology. One of the reasons why so much of the OT is bunk if taken literally.
-------------------

OK, my interest is piqued. Please, vistesd, do tell. I'd like to know what the significance of 30 + 12 might be. Please don't say "Deep Thought".

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Sep 05

Originally posted by David C
OK, my interest is piqued. Please, vistesd, do tell. I'd like to know what the significance of 30 + 12 might be. Please don't say "Deep Thought".
My researches reveal that the appearance of the number 42 in this context clearly indicates that Elisha was Japanese:

In Japanese, 4 (shi) and 2 (ni) are together pronounced like "going to death". Because of that, in Japan, 42 is considered as a disastrous number.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
08 Sep 05
1 edit

My researches reveal that the appearance of the number 42 in this context clearly indicates that Elisha was Japanese:

In Japanese, 4 (shi) and 2 (ni) are together pronounced like "going to death". Because of that, in Japan, 42 is considered as a disastrous number.
🙄

l

London

Moves
08 Sep 05

LOL. Gets a rec.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Sep 05

is that sarcasm, or are you serious?
Neither.

In the meantime, while we're waiting for Godot, I mean visistesd, I am permitted to reveal that in Lewis Carroll's book The Hunting of the Snark, the baker left 42 pieces of luggage on the pier. Undoubtedly they contained the heads of Elisha's 42 boys.

N

Moves
08 Sep 05

Originally posted by dags
There is no hell. It something the christians made up to keep you in line 🙂
🙂 we'll see

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Sep 05

With regard to the number 42, this one is the real clincher:

The number of U.S. gallons of oil contained in one barrel of oil.

The prophecy is there for all those who have ears to see...

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
15 Sep 05

With regard to the number 42, this one is the real clincher:

The number of U.S. gallons of oil contained in one barrel of oil.

The prophecy is there for all those who have ears to see...
wait-i just remebered that it was you that brought up this notion of 42 and the bible in the old testament anyway, so why are we waiting for someone who hasn't actually said anything instead of waiting for the person that first proposed it (but hasn't followed it up...)?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
15 Sep 05

wait-i just remebered that it was you that brought up this notion of 42 and the bible in the old testament anyway, so why are we waiting for someone who hasn't actually said anything instead of waiting for the person that first proposed it (but hasn't followed it up...)?
vistesd is well worth the wait.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
15 Sep 05

Hello, genius. Frogstomp's right....

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
15 Sep 05
1 edit

vistesd is well worth the wait.
well, has anyone told him about this thread?...

Hmmm . . .

Moves
15 Sep 05
1 edit

well, has anyone told him about this thread?...
Just now... Ignore their idle flattery, however. 😳

Second Kings: 23 He went up from there to Bethel; and while he was going up on the way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him, saying, "Go away, baldhead! Go away, baldhead!"
24 When he turned around and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two she-bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

In Hebrew, each letter also stands for a number (there are no numerals in Biblical Hebrew). Now, the word for bear is spelled dalet bet (DB, pronounced dob; there were no real vowels in Hebrew either: sometimes a consonant could also have a vowel sound, and vowel markings were added later). Dalet is the fourth letter of the Hebrew alphabet, bet is the second letter: 4 and 2.

The words used to identify the number of children in the story are arba’im v’sheni. arba’im is the plural form of arba, which means four-fold, quadruple, a four-count; hence, arba’im was used for the word “forty.” v’sheni means “and a double.”

A Jewish reader schooled in Hebrew would recognize the complex pun on the word dob, meaning bear, but also the numerals 4 and 2. Traditional midrashic exegesis gets a lot of mileage out of such word-plays.

Since Hebrew is based on a consonantal root system (usually three, but in this case two), words with the same consonantal roots can be related, regardless of the order of the letters. Now, the word spelled bet-dalet (BD), also means idle talk or prattle. It would not be outside of midrashic exegesis to propose that this verse means, symbolically, that “idle chatter ate them up.”

Basically, in Talmudic and Midrashic exegesis, Jews do not look for “the one right meaning,” but all the possible meanings, looking for symbolism, metaphor, allegories, word-plays, even puns.

EDIT: A further note on Hebrew:

“To avoid the trap of idolatry—the illusion of possessing the meaning—Hebrew tradition has introduced the idea of levels of meaning.” (Marc-Alain Ouaknin, The Burnt Book: Reading the Talmud) This is based on the language itself. Hebrew is more of a “depth language” than a “precision” language. Words have layers of meanings, which deepen and expand in association with other words, phrases, etc.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
15 Sep 05
1 edit

Originally posted by David C
[b]Thats a recurring number in the OT. vistesd has a decent theory on it.

Pssst, vistesd--I know your monkey mind is active at the moment--remind of number 42, with special reference to Elisha & his bears?

and ...[text shortened]... I'd like to know what the significance of 30 + 12 might be. Please don't say "Deep Thought".
[/b]Actually I thought it was the answer to "What is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?" 🙂

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
15 Sep 05

Originally posted by vistesd
Just now... Ignore their idle flattery, however. 😳

Second Kings: 23 He went up from there to Bethel; and while he was going up on the way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him, saying, "Go away, baldhead! Go away, baldhead!"
24 When he turned around and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two she-bears came out ...[text shortened]... have layers of meanings, which deepen and expand in association with other words, phrases, etc.
so, basically you are saying it is a play on words?

Hmmm . . .

Moves
15 Sep 05

so, basically you are saying it is a play on words?
I am saying that there are levels of meanings. Word play opens up some of them (I am told there's a lot of punning in Hebrew; unfortunately my Hebrew is so bad that I have to really work to find such stuff). So, I am not saying that is the meaning; only that it is one of the possible meanings, given how the language works. The "literal" meaning (what in Hebrew is called p'shat, the "plain" meaning) is another.

See the EDIT I added; I may not have gotten it in one time. I had to run outside to do a chore.