God is Great

God is Great

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K
Chess Samurai

Yes

Moves
16 Dec 05

Originally posted by The Chess Express
Col 1:27 To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: [b]which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Matt 25:35-45

Not only that, he also enjoys your wife every time you sleep with her. How great is that! 😀[/b]
Um...
24Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. 25I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— 26the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints. 27To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
28We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. 29To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.

That says GENTILES not GENITALS - I am not sure whether to feel sorry for you or call you an idiot.

That set of passages is talking about Paul' labors for the church and how this is such a great reward.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
16 Dec 05
1 edit

[b]www.biblegateway.com is an excellent site that should find all of the passages that I have quoted.

Thanks for the link. You’re right, it’s a great site.

Seems you need to learn more about what is in the book that you profess to follow.

I’ve heard the stories but have never bothered to look them up.

I would not be feel ...[text shortened]... od.

BTW, what caused you to become so disillusioned with Christianity after twenty years?
[/b]
Having read the bible cover-to-cover many times, I have a fairly clear picture of what the christian faith is based on. There are simply too many logical and philosophical problems with the book. Attempts to read it literally run into contradictions, yet reading it interpretively or figuratively robs the book of concrete authoritative power. Its followers want to have it both ways.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
16 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Having read the bible cover-to-cover many times, I have a fairly clear picture of what the christian faith is based on. There are simply too many logical and philosophical problems with the book. Attempts to read it literally run into contradictions, yet reading it interpretively or figuratively robs the book of concrete authoritative power. Its followers want to have it both ways.
Most people are not satisfied with their religion until they have found God for themselves. I’m not satisfied with the way Christianity is taught either. How can I be? A runner is not satisfied until he finishes the race. I do believe that we can find the answers though, we just need to search long enough for them.

Christianity tends to focus on the external, as in church, scripture, and preachers. This leads to confusion and contradictions.

Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! Or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

The answers are within us.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Dec 05

Oddly enough, if you read it backwards and upside down it has no contradictions and makes perfect, logical sense. Try it, you'll be amazed.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
17 Dec 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
Oddly enough, if you read it backwards and upside down it has no contradictions and makes perfect, logical sense. Try it, you'll be amazed.
This would explain your interpretation of it.

N

The sky

Moves
17 Dec 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
I believe the best way to understand the bible is to look at it while you chant "THE WORD OF GOD THE WORD OF GOD THE WORD OF GOD". If you feel the need to actually read in it, you should ask someone who can say "THE WORD OF GOD" faster and louder than you to highlight some sentences or words for you. It's okay to take them out of context, because they are THE WORD OF GOD, and THE WORD OF GOD is true both within and out of context. If there's something you don't understand, that's because you are not meant to understand it, so don't worry about it.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
17 Dec 05

Originally posted by KnightWulfe
Um...
24Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. 25I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— 26the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generation ...[text shortened]... t of passages is talking about Paul' labors for the church and how this is such a great reward.
If you are willing to believe that God created Jesus through Marry, then you are willing to believe that God creates all babies. This is why it is silly to say that God committed adultery.

I apologize for the crack I made. Sometimes my sense of humor gets the better of me. There are many places in the scripture that speak of God being inside all of us and experiencing what we experience.

Most would agree that the devil is in there, so it’s not too hard to believe that God is in there as well.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
17 Dec 05

If you are willing to believe that God created Jesus through Marry, then you are willing to believe that God creates all babies. This is why it is silly to say that God committed adultery.

I apologize for the crack I made. Sometimes my sense of humor gets the better of me. There are many places in the scripture that speak of God being inside a ...[text shortened]... agree that the devil is in there, so it’s not too hard to believe that God is in there as well.
Must get crowded in there....

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
17 Dec 05

Having read the bible cover-to-cover many times, I have a fairly clear picture of what the christian faith is based on.
Attempts to read it literally run into contradictions, yet reading it interpretively or figuratively robs the book of concrete authoritative power. Its followers want to have it both ways.
BDP:
Since you have read the Bible cover to cover many times, what (and I am not begin facetious) is your take on the basis of the Christian faith?

I could not agree with you more, respective of the maddening enigma the Bible represents, relative to the proper perspective. Trying to keep ANY semblance of a cohesive view is literally impossible... without the (here it comes) decoder ring. Kidding aside, it is God's responsibility to make the message clear and attainable for ANYone who desires an understanding.
This, I believe, He has done.

B

Moves
17 Dec 05

I'm just kinda tired of that being the best people can do - a snide remark and no further constructive input (or constructive criticism for that matter). :'([/b]
SURE you are!

Hmmm . . .

Moves
17 Dec 05

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
BDP:
Since you have read the Bible cover to cover many times, what (and I am not begin facetious) is your take on the basis of the Christian faith?

I could not agree with you more, respective of the maddening enigma the Bible represents, relative to the proper perspective. Trying to keep ANY semblance of a cohesive view is literally impossible... with ...[text shortened]... age clear and attainable for ANYone who desires an understanding.
This, I believe, He has done.
Kidding aside, it is God's responsibility to make the message clear and attainable for ANYone who desires an understanding.

And that’s where we’re at impasse. I think it is our responsibility—if we choose to engage these texts—to interpret them for ourselves as best we can, and to always be willing to revisit and question our own interpretations. Even if we follow other guides for hermeneutical clues, we cannot escape our own hermeneutical responsibilities. We must bring ourselves to the text with a sense of critical spiritual inquiry (unless, of course, we’re just doing some kind of academic study of the texts, legitimate in its own right).

With that said, I think you hit the nail on the head, and defined the impasse more clearly than I think I have yet seen. For that, I thank you.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
17 Dec 05

Most people are not satisfied with their religion until they have found God for themselves. I’m not satisfied with the way Christianity is taught either. How can I be? A runner is not satisfied until he finishes the race. I do believe that we can find the answers though, we just need to search long enough for them.

Christianity tends to focus o ...[text shortened]... ere! Or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

The answers are within us.
What makes you so sure there is a god at all?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
18 Dec 05

Originally posted by vistesd
[b]Kidding aside, it is God's responsibility to make the message clear and attainable for ANYone who desires an understanding.

And that’s where we’re at impasse. I think it is our responsibility—if we choose to engage these texts—to interpret them for ourselves as best we can, and to always be willing to revisit and question our own interpret ...[text shortened]... head, and defined the impasse more clearly than I think I have yet seen. For that, I thank you.[/b]
All this moderation is going to kill the debates!

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
18 Dec 05

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
All this moderation is going to kill the debates!
Well, [in the interests of keeping it exciting] screw you Freak-boy! God is crap. All this killing and not existing, screw him too!!! 🙂

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
18 Dec 05

What's with all the foot-washing?
Like ya, come on over to dinner, the slave girl will wash your feet, we'll play darts, shoot the breeze and get drunk and talk about God.
The nice thing about God is we'll never exhaust stuff to talk about, we could live till we are 1200 and still yak.