Given enough time anything can happen, really!

Given enough time anything can happen, really!

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Apr 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
So you do not believe that stars and galaxies further away than about 8,000 light years actually exist? And everyone else is wrongly assigning all that light we see at night to stars. Even though what we see looks remarkably like what we would expect from stars orbiting each other (galaxies) and many of the features in the light we see not only fits our t ...[text shortened]... t you see in the mirror is a reflection of you. You are jumping to conclusions when you do that.
What you need to ask yourself is, "Can I look at something and tell how
old it is?" If I believe I can doe this, how do I do it and how do I know I
am right? Then explain it to Kelly and perhaps you can come to an
agreement, if that is what you want to do. Otherwise you will be in an
endless argument until one of you decides to stop or dies

Cape Town

Moves
23 Apr 11

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
If we see a star explode to oblivion today that is one million light years away, WHEN did it explode?

This one simple basic question they cannot ever really answer because they cannot do so without exposing their illogic (and so I bet he will not answer)
I did ask that, and Kelly has actually essentially answered it by saying that you are making assumptions when you think you see stars exploding, and there is no valid reason to think the star or the subsequent explosion are stars and explosions, they are merely information in light that we cannot interpret what it means without making assumptions.
He does not believe supernovas happen, and does not believe that God deliberately made the light in such a way as to make us think that they happen. He believes it is all misinterpretation on our part.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Apr 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
agreement, if that is what you want to do.
I have done all that but we cant seem to come to any agreement. Kelly believes it is impossible to know how old something is. My dispute with him is mostly about the fact that he is inconsistent with his reasoning as to why he thinks it is impossible. He accepts written record for example as a valid method of determining age. He does not accept things that involve measuring the properties of substances and using the laws of physics to determine age.
He accepts written record as evidence that the universe existed at the time of writing, but he does not accept records contained in a beam of light. He has not been able to explain why he accepts one and not the other.

Moves
23 Apr 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
agreement, if that is what you want to do. Otherwise you will be in an
endless argument until one of you decides to stop or dies
Well, that given, one opinion could be, "The amount of red shift in the light coming from a star is mathematically related to the distance to the star in light years. Say, a star is figured out by red shift to be 100,000 light years away, so something we see today happening to that star today, like the flash of a supernova, would have actually happened to that star 100,000 years ago, because being that far away, that's how long it took for the flash to get here today. So the star has to be at least that old."

But the other opinion could be, "No matter what I look at, I can tell it's less than 8,000 years old because God teaches that through the Holy Bible. When He said, 'Let there be light' God must started the light that seems to be from that star, reaching Earth at that moment, and started the light from the supernova speeding out in all directions from a sort of big hollow spherical wave front, as if it had started from a central point 92,000 years earlier. When He did that, the light from that flash was 8000 light years from us. If and when God wants us to know why He did it that way, we'll know, either by being told or by figuring it out. I could just guess at the reason, but I know it is a good reason. Besides, I could ask you to explain why God did it the way you think it was happened."

RC, can you bring these two opinions into agreement?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Apr 11

So you do not believe that stars and galaxies further away than about 8,000 light years actually exist? And everyone else is wrongly assigning all that light we see at night to stars. Even though what we see looks remarkably like what we would expect from stars orbiting each other (galaxies) and many of the features in the light we see not only fits our t ...[text shortened]... t you see in the mirror is a reflection of you. You are jumping to conclusions when you do that.
I said what God made He made, and if we look at it and come up with some
thought about what we see that does not reflect reality, from that we are
creating illusions. It isn't what we are seeing is an illusion. I've made no
references to anything else. You can except whatever you want, if you start
off getting some of the foundational pieces of informaiton wrong, everything
you build upon that will be flawed as well.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Apr 11

I did ask that, and Kelly has actually essentially answered it by saying that you are making assumptions when you think you see stars exploding, and there is no valid reason to think the star or the subsequent explosion are stars and explosions, they are merely information in light that we cannot interpret what it means without making assumptions.
He doe ...[text shortened]... a way as to make us think that they happen. He believes it is all misinterpretation on our part.
You know what I believe about stars or are you lying about me? Seriously,
you are making claims about me that are false, is that dishonest?
Kelly

AH

Moves
23 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
Kelly
If you truly don't believe what he says you believe and you don't like that then why not simply tell us exactly what you DO believe on this matter so we can all stand corrected?

If we see a star explode to oblivion today that is one million light years away, when did it explode?
Or didn't it explode? -if so, why would a deity make us see it explode?
Or was there no such star? -if so, why would a deity make us see a non-existent star?

I expect your usual totally pointless rude silence/non-answers ...........

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Apr 11

If you truly don't believe what he says you believe and you don't like that then why not simply tell us exactly what you DO believe on this matter so we can all stand corrected?

If we see a star explode to oblivion today that is one million light years away, when did it explode?
Or didn't it explode? -if so, why would a deity make us see it expl ...[text shortened]... ee a non-existent star?

I expect your usual pointless rude silence/non-answers ...........
You see a star explode, why do you need me to tell you if you saw a star
explode? Seems to me you know the answer, now with respect to time, I do
not know exactly how for way your exploding star is, if you claim you know
than that is on you.
Kelly

AH

Moves
23 Apr 11
1 edit

You see a star explode, why do you need me to tell you if you saw a star
explode? Seems to me you know the answer, now with respect to time, I do
not know exactly how for way your exploding star is, if you claim you know
than that is on you.
Kelly
“...You see a star explode, why do you need me to tell you if you saw a star
explode? ...”

to expose your illogic -which is why you will never answer.

“...I do not know exactly how for way your exploding star is ...”

as I just said, in that hypothetical scenario, it is one million light years away.

“...if you claim you know than that is on you. ...”

what is on me? In that hypothetical scenario, WE know.

I was correct: out of “silence/non-answers” it was the usual totally pointless rude non-answers.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Apr 11

“...You see a star explode, why do you need me to tell you if you saw a star
explode? ...”

to expose your illogic -which is why you will never answer.

“...I do not know exactly how for way your exploding star is ...”

as I just said, in that hypothetical scenario, it is one million light years away.

“...if you claim you know than that is ...[text shortened]... I was correct: out of “silence/non-answers” it was the usual totally pointless rude non-answers.
"hypothetical scenario" it can be whatever you want, it was a hypothetical scenario.
You either saw it or you didn't, can you see one explode that far away well
hypothetically it appears so by your question you can, what do you need me
for?
Kelly

Cape Town

Moves
23 Apr 11
1 edit

Kelly
I am not lying about you, I am merely restating what you yourself have said in this thread. You have clearly, and unequivocally stated that you do not believe that the majority of stars we see in the sky exist. You believe that we see light and that any assumptions we make about where that light comes from are just baseless assumptions. Except you personally believe (because of what you read in the Bible) that that light was created in space by God.
If you wish to retract your claims then please do so, but do not accuse me of lying about you when I haven't. If you feel I have misunderstood you, then please clarify.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Apr 11

I am not lying about you, I am merely restating what you yourself have said in this thread. You have clearly, and unequivocally stated that you do not believe that the majority of stars we see in the sky exist. You believe that we see light and that any assumptions we make about where that light comes from are just baseless assumptions. Except you person ...[text shortened]... e of lying about you when I haven't. If you feel I have misunderstood you, then please clarify.
You are lying, completely unbecoming of you.
Kelly

Cape Town

Moves
23 Apr 11

You are lying, completely unbecoming of you.
Kelly
I am not lying.
If you feel I am misrepresenting you, then please clarify what I am saying is wrong and what your actual beliefs are.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Apr 11

I am not lying.
If you feel I am misrepresenting you, then please clarify what I am saying is wrong and what your actual beliefs are.
You are being very dishonest putting words and intent in my mouth on things
I have not said.
Kelly

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Apr 11

You are being very dishonest putting words and intent in my mouth on things
I have not said.
Kelly
You guys are still just arguing and getting nowhere. I've never