Getting the Shaft

Getting the Shaft

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
28 Apr 07
2 edits

Which Bible character would you say most severely got the shaft?

Here are some candidates:
Jesus
Job
Isaac
Eve
Mary
Joseph
Jonah
Pharoah
Noah
Moses
Onan

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
28 Apr 07

Job

Is this a short answer or essay question?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
28 Apr 07

Originally posted by reader1107
Job

Is this a short answer or essay question?
May as well make it essay. I don't think anybody is any hurry.

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
28 Apr 07

(This presupposes that the stories are true)

I think Job got the most shafted because he was used as a pawn, a toy to prove a point. Satan was allowed to send all sorts of trials and traumas his way just in a game to prove that Job would or would not still be loyal to God and praise and worship him. He wasn't a victim of circumstance or human politics or people making bad choices, but of supernatural events specifically directed at him.

(more later)

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
28 Apr 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles

Jesus
Job
Isaac
Eve
Mary
Joseph
Jonah
Pharoah
Noah
Moses
Onan
I'm going to say Eve. She was set up by God to take the fall for original sin. Job's afflictions didn't have much effect beyond himself, but Eve continues to unjustly take the rap for the fallen state of all humanity.

E

Moves
28 Apr 07

Originally posted by rwingett
I'm going to say Eve. She was set up by God to take the fall for original sin. Job's afflictions didn't have much effect beyond himself, but Eve continues to unjustly take the rap for the fallen state of all humanity.
she was NOT set up, god showed her free will and she made a bad choice

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
28 Apr 07

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
she was NOT set up, god showed her free will and she made a bad choice
Freewill is incompatible with an omniscient and omnipotent god. She was set up. Everything worked out just as god intended from the very beginning.

E

Moves
28 Apr 07
1 edit

Freewill is incompatible with an omniscient and omnipotent god. She was set up. Everything worked out just as god intended from the very beginning.
ok, let me show you what is NOT free will.

if God were to only show eve all that is good, and she never known evil in her life so she was always a good person then that would not be free will.

here is free will:

if God were to show eve good and evil, and let her make her own choices; it was not a set up. he knew what would happen, but he wanted her to have her own choice and she made a bad choice.

EDIT: what if i knew that you were gonna do something, and five minutes later you did it; does that mean i controlled you and made you do it? no you did it because you wanted to so wtf is this crap about no free will?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
28 Apr 07

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
ok, let me show you what is NOT free will.

if God were to only show eve all that is good, and she never known evil in her life so she was always a good person then that would not be free will.

here is free will:

if God were to show eve good and evil, and let her make her own choices; it was not a set up. he knew what would happen, but he wante ...[text shortened]... and made you do it? no you did it because you wanted to so wtf is this crap about no free will?
This is not the thread to start yet another interminable harangue about freewill. Go start your own thread if you want.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
28 Apr 07

Jesus
Job
Isaac
Eve
Mary
Joseph
Jonah
Pharoah
Noah
Moses
Onan
Oh. I thought this was another gay marriage thread...

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
28 Apr 07
1 edit

Jesus
Job
Isaac
Eve
Mary
Joseph
Jonah
Pharoah
Noah
Moses
Onan
Mary is said not to have gotten the shaft...

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
28 Apr 07

Originally posted by Nemesio
Mary is said not to have gotten the shaft...
*Ba da bing*

Or not. An immaculate conception (I would think) has a conspicuous lack of "shafts."

So we could say that Mary got the shaft in that she had a pregnancy without ever having the pleasures associated with initiating one. This can be seen to have had a lasting affect on the societal perception of female sexuality for centuries to come.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
28 Apr 07

I'm going to go with Onan. Job had it bad no doubt and he would be my second choice. But he gets his life back and by all accounts lives out a wonderful life with valuable learning about the nature of God and life.

Onan on the other hand has to provide children for his dead brother to fulfill the Leverite custom. For whatever reason, he spills his seed on the ground and God strikes him dead. Ain't that a bitch! Who's to say she wasn't a big fat ugly heifer.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
28 Apr 07

*Ba da bing*

Or not. An immaculate conception (I would think) has a conspicuous lack of "shafts."

So we could say that Mary got the shaft in that she had a pregnancy without ever having the pleasures associated with initiating one. This can be seen to have had a lasting affect on the societal perception of female sexuality for centuries to come.
Dang, beat me to it. She got the shaft cause she DIDN'T get the shaft.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
28 Apr 07

Originally posted by sonhouse
Dang, beat me to it. She got the shaft cause she DIDN'T get the shaft.
Onan had the shaft and got the shaft.