From nothing, Reason...

From nothing, Reason...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
14 Nov 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
When you say 'the rest of the article,' I assume you mean passages such as this:

"It is also frightening and pandemonic: he maintains that the world as it is in itself (sometimes he crucially adds, “for us&rdquo😉 is an endless striving and blind impulse with no end in view, devoid of knowledge, lawless, absolutely free, entirely self-determining and almighty ...[text shortened]... arity of Schopenhauer's view and the characterization I have asserted. I'm just saying.
Yes, he rejects a telelogical conception of the universe. So what? This is irrelevant to the claim that he thinks reason does not exist.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
14 Nov 06

When you say 'the rest of the article,' I assume you mean passages such as this:

"It is also frightening and pandemonic: he maintains that the world as it is in itself (sometimes he crucially adds, “for us&rdquo😉 is an endless striving and blind impulse with no end in view, devoid of knowledge, lawless, absolutely free, entirely self-determining and almighty ...[text shortened]... arity of Schopenhauer's view and the characterization I have asserted. I'm just saying.
Bummer.🙁

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
15 Nov 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
Bummer.🙁
He was a modern-day Jeremiah.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
15 Nov 06

Originally posted by bbarr
Yes, he rejects a telelogical conception of the universe. So what? This is irrelevant to the claim that he thinks reason does not exist.
Without truth, what is reason? And yes, I agree that his work stands in contradiction to his finding: using reason to convince others that reason does not (cannot) exist.

L

Moves
15 Nov 06

Sorry: things got a little hectic again up in here, leaving little time for a more involved debate such as this represents.

As no one has been able to offer an alternative view to mechanistic materialism, can we assume that the majority atheistic explanation for the physical universe is MM?
Stay focused, Freaky. What's Premise 1 of your argument?

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
15 Nov 06

Without truth, what is reason? And yes, I agree that his work stands in contradiction to his finding: using reason to convince others that reason does not (cannot) exist.
Schopenhauer wasn't a skeptic about truth either, and he never claimed that reason does not (or cannot) exist. Look, you're simply wrong about this point. You've never read Schopenhauer and you've misunderstood what you're cribbed from the internet. If you'd like to make yourself look more foolish, please continue...

S

Moves
15 Nov 06

I'm starting to think the title of this thread should have been 'From reason, nothing'.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
15 Nov 06

Originally posted by Starrman
I'm starting to think the title of this thread should have been 'From reason, nothing'.
I prefer

From "Reason": Nothing!

Nemesio

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
15 Nov 06

Schopenhauer wasn't a skeptic about truth either, and he never claimed that reason does not (or cannot) exist. Look, you're simply wrong about this point. You've never read Schopenhauer and you've misunderstood what you're cribbed from the internet. If you'd like to make yourself look more foolish, please continue...
Although you may be knee-deep in academia and your position is never to be questioned, if the choice comes down to what you continue to assert Schopenhauer is saying and what Schopenhauer is clearly saying, I'll go with the latter over the former.

For instance:

"The primordial will is a blind unreasoning impulse to self-preservation."
http://www.radicalacademy.com/philschopenhauer.htm

When you say that he wasn't a skeptic about truth, you are clearly playing to the gallery. This is a man who claimed there is no knowledge. Without knowledge, obviously there can be no truth. Either you have something of substance to contribute, or not. Here's a suggestion: play the ball where it lays.

L

Moves
15 Nov 06
3 edits

Without knowledge, obviously there can be no truth.
For a proposition to be true, it is not a necessary condition that the proposition is known (although it would be a sufficient condition).

Quit being such a clown.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
15 Nov 06
1 edit

Although you may be knee-deep in academia and your position is never to be questioned, if the choice comes down to what you continue to assert Schopenhauer is saying and what Schopenhauer is clearly saying, I'll go with the latter over the former.

For instance:

"The primordial will is a blind unreasoning impulse to self-preservation."
http://www.rad hing of substance to contribute, or not. Here's a suggestion: play the ball where it lays.
The problem here is just that you don't understand what Schopenhauer is saying.

When he claims that the "primordial will is a blind, unreasoning impulse to self-preservation" he is not claiming that reason does not exist. Rather, he is claiming that our fundamental impulses to live, our basic motivations, are non-rational. But he also claims that we can mediate the suffering caused by our primordial will to live by the use of reason; that we can employ reason to constrain our fundamental impulses. In other words, reason can effect our motivations and our will.

Further, in the very source you cited, the following is claimed:

"Once consciousness is attained, knowledge appears as the representation of the world."

Schopenhauer is here claiming that knowledge is possible once creatures are capable of representing the world to themselves. If I have a mental representation of the world around me, and that representation is accurate, and I have reason to believe that representation is accurate, then I have knowledge. This is actually a fairly traditional philosophical view.

Please note that the above quote directly contradicts your assertion that Schopenhauer claimed there is no knowledge.

Finally, you are in error when you claim that without knowledge there can be no truth. Knowledge is not a necessary condition for truth, but rather truth is a necessary condition for knowledge. If there were no truth there could be no knowledge, but there certainly can be truth in the absence of knowledge. It is completely compatible with P being true that nobody believes P (or is capable of believing P) and hence that nobody knows (or could know) P.

Please desist now, lest you humiliate yourself further.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
15 Nov 06

The problem here is just that you don't understand what Schopenhauer is saying.

When he claims that the "primordial will is a blind, unreasoning impulse to self-preservation" he is not claiming that reason does not exist. Rather, he is claiming that our fundamental impulses to live, our basic motivations, are non-rational. But he also claims that ...[text shortened]... obody knows (or could know) P.

Rather, he is claiming that our fundamental impulses to live, our basic motivations, are non-rational.
Sure. And the way to combat that non-rationality is to fight the over-arching will to live, i.e., supression of the will to live. Seems pretty rational, huh.

Please note that the above quote directly contradicts your assertion that Schopenhauer claimed there is no knowledge.
Again, without taking anything away from the thousands of dollars spent on your higher edu-ma-cation, I must defer to Schopenhauer's own words for their meaning. Despite your contortions otherwise, his concepts are fairly straightforward.

Finally, you are in error when you claim that without knowledge there can be no truth.
Not exactly what was said, but heck! what's a few mischaracterizations among friends, right? Truth without the ability to ascertain it is useless, like an underground water source in the desert: who cares? Knowledge is the shovel. Schopenhauer said there was no knowledge. No knowledge, no shovel. No shovel, no water. No water, no truth.

That's typical of your giving nature: always looking out for the little guy.

d

Moves
15 Nov 06

I must defer to Schopenhauer's own words for their meaning.
Ah, so you've read The World as Will and Representation?

It sounds like you skipped the "and Representation" part.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
16 Nov 06

Originally posted by dottewell
Ah, so you've read The World as Will and Representation?

It sounds like you skipped the "and Representation" part.
I'd say the following quotes are more representative with what I've been asserting regarding Art's take on the world than the slivers otherwise provided.

"In the sphere of thought, absurdity and perversity remain the masters of the world, and their dominion is suspended only for brief periods."

"The fundament upon which all our knowledge and learning rests is the inexplicable."

"They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice... that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person."

"The chief of all remedies for a troubled mind is the feeling that among the blessings which Nature gives to man there is none greater than an opportune death; and the best of it is that every one of us can avail himself of it."

L

Moves
16 Nov 06
2 edits

Not exactly what was said, but heck! what's a few mischaracterizations among friends, right? Truth without the ability to ascertain it is useless, like an underground water source in the desert: who cares? Knowledge is the shovel. Schopenhauer said there was no knowledge. No knowledge, no shovel. No shovel, no water. No water, no truth.
The clownish behavior continues. Good grief.

The shovel/water analogy is silly in this context. The only thing I'll say about it is that one's inability to dig down toward a possible water source does not have any necessary connection with whether or not such water exists.