Freaking in Tongues

Freaking in Tongues

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
22 Mar 07

Originally posted by twiceaknight
Sorry just ignore me.
im not judgmental but i was expecting to hear about the real thing, and it was very lame when thats not what happened

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Mar 07

Originally posted by safetyman
Tongues in not "just" another language. It is a spiritual language. There are at least two types of tongues that one can speak (that I know of).

1. personal language. This is tongues that you pray for your own edification. This is a direct prayer to God in a spiritual language. The Bible states that when you pray in tongues to God you are prayin ...[text shortened]... nd learn. It is not written (that I know of. I don't know how anyone could do that but...)
There is also the one where everyone hears in their own language.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Mar 07

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
im not judgmental but i was expecting to hear about the real thing, and it was very lame when thats not what happened
I'll tell you about the real thing.

The first time I had ever heard it occur in a public setting was at a
Full Gospel Businessman’s meeting in Illinois. There were a few
hundred people there, we were singing praises, and all of a sudden
everyone myself included got quiet, no person directed us too, we
all just stopped singing. Someone in the crowd spoke in tongues,
and right after he was done another gave the interpretation to us. I
do not recall what the message was exactly so I'm not going to
attempt to share it.
Kelly

s

Moves
22 Mar 07

this is stupid, i thought somebody here could actually speak in tongues but instead i get this: "everybody can do it they just dont know it" crap
I do speak in other tongues and I'm trying to answer the questions as best I can. If you have other questions or would like me to answer in a different way I will try my best. Let me know what you are wanting. I have been asked several specific questions and tried answering those. It really is difficult (because i'm not a writer) to express myself in writing and convey what I want to say. It really gets long and I'm not sure if everyone wants to read long post.

E

Moves
22 Mar 07

I do speak in other tongues and I'm trying to answer the questions as best I can. If you have other questions or would like me to answer in a different way I will try my best. Let me know what you are wanting. I have been asked several specific questions and tried answering those. It really is difficult (because i'm not a writer) to express myself in w ...[text shortened]... hat I want to say. It really gets long and I'm not sure if everyone wants to read long post.
how do you speak a language that you do not know?

s

Moves
22 Mar 07
1 edit

Without trying to be sarcastic - you just do it. That is where the faith part comes in which I talked about earlier. When I began I told God that if this tongue "stuff" is real, then I want to do it. I guess I really didn't believe it, but was determined if I could get closer to God then I wanted to do it. I read about it in the Bible, I had been to Full Gospel/Charismatic churches who spoke in tongues and if it was real I wanted to do it to. So I opened my mouth real wide and guess what happened? Nothing! I asked my mother in law (my father in law is my pastor) about it and she said you just do it. Whatever comes out is it. So, just to be honest with you all I started out with some la la da da "stuff" and felt really embarassed. So, I talked to my mother in law again and told her. This seems stupid! I definitely wouldn't do it in front of anyone and didn't even try it in front of my wife. I was actually embarassed. Well, she tells me that it is a language that is developed. You don't (as I stated in previous posts) start out any language speaking fluently. So, if this is a spiritual language that is a direct communication with God and the perfect pray what do you think the devil is going to do? He is going to make you think you sound stupid and make you embarassed to do anything that will draw you closer to God.

I started out with the la la da da stuff (very elementary) and now I'm really ashamed that I would be embarassed about doing the things of God. But I continued and continued until I have more words in my language. I'm pretty fluent at it. It doesn't embarass me anymore to be who I am and do what I do. It is real, it is in the Bible and it is for today. It didn't pass away. I don't have my Bible with me at the moment, but I think it was Paul who said "I thank God that I pray in tongues more than you all..." something like that.

I've heard a preacher say (and I feel the same way) that he is very narrow minded. He held up his Bible and looked at the spine and said my mind is about this narrow. If it ain't in here then I don't need it.

E

Moves
22 Mar 07

Without trying to be sarcastic - you just do it. That is where the faith part comes in which I talked about earlier. When I began I told God that if this tongue "stuff" is real, then I want to do it. I guess I really didn't believe it, but was determined if I could get closer to God then I wanted to do it. I read about it in the Bible, I had been to Fu ...[text shortened]... said my mind is about this narrow. If it ain't in here then I don't need it.
were you talking or did it feel like somebody talked for you? so should i just start making up weird sounds until i can do that?

S

Moves
22 Mar 07

were you talking or did it feel like somebody talked for you? so should i just start making up weird sounds until i can do that?
EcstremeVenom, the Bible teaches that the purpose of speaking in tongues was to spread the Gospel of Christ to the ends of the earth, and was only needed for a short period of time until everybody had heard the gospel in their language. "Speaking in tongues" means LITERALLY to speak in a different language that actually exists (not babbling) and the Holy Spirit would talk through the people who did it. It was a miracle, and is not needed - or performed correctly - today.

s

Moves
22 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by SharpeMother
EcstremeVenom, the Bible teaches that the purpose of speaking in tongues was to spread the Gospel of Christ to the ends of the earth, and was only needed for a short period of time until everybody had heard the gospel in their language. "Speaking in tongues" means LITERALLY to speak in a different language that actually exists (not babbling) and the Hol ...[text shortened]... h the people who did it. It was a miracle, and is not needed - or performed correctly - today.
I have to strongly disagree with you on this. 1. because you state that "it was for a short period of time until everybody had heard the gospel in their language". Well, that still has not happened. Everyone has not heard the Gospel. There are hundreds and even thousands of villages and groups throughout the world that are still waiting to hear the gospel so your comment is incorrect for the start.

2. Tongues is not ONLY to spread the gospel, but for the (as I stated in an earlier post) edification of the individual speaking in tongues. There are different types of tongues. "For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men but unto God...He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself..." 1Cor. 14:2,4

3. It still happens today. There was a young Phillipino (spelling) lady who visited our church. Someone stood up gave a message in tongues, another gave the interpretation. The young lady spoke to our pastor, crying, and saying she understood what that person was saying in her own language and the person who gave the interpretation, interpreted it correctly. She had never experienced this gift in a church before.

So, it is for today, it is needed and it is not babbling as many believe. I'm sorry to disagree.

s

Moves
22 Mar 07
1 edit

There are two different types of Baptisms in the Bible. One is the baptism in water which is a public demonstration that you are being buried with Christ and your sins are washed away. Water Baptism. The other is the Baptism in the Holy Spirit. According to the Bible you are baptized in the Holy Spirit and you will know that this has occured because it's evidence is that you will speak in tongues. I will find the scripture and post it later.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
22 Mar 07

You can be taught how to do it.

Here's some more information:
http://www.psychohistorian.org/psychology/tongues.html

See also the "technique of gibberish" here:
http://www.blatner.com/adam/level2/nverb2.htm

I think that glossolalia can express various emotional states.

The singer Diamanda Galas uses glossolalia to express "satanic" emotions.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Mar 07

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
You can be taught how to do it.

Here's some more information:
http://www.psychohistorian.org/psychology/tongues.html

See also the "technique of gibberish" here:
http://www.blatner.com/adam/level2/nverb2.htm

I think that glossolalia can express various emotional states.

The singer Diamanda Galas uses glossolalia to express "satanic" emotions.
Having some version that is satanic emotions, or even having some
people make it up as they go does not mean that it isn't happening
scripturally, it only means that there are fakers and counterfeits out
there. Which as we all know having fake money does not mean that
there isn't real money out there, having the fake doesn’t mean the
real isn’t real.
Kelly

s

Moves
22 Mar 07

That is an EXCELLENT point KellyJay.

S

Moves
23 Mar 07

I have to strongly disagree with you on this. 1. because you state that "it was for a short period of time until everybody had heard the gospel in their language". Well, that still has not happened. Everyone has not heard the Gospel. There are hundreds and even thousands of villages and groups throughout the world that are still waiting to hear the gos ...[text shortened]... is for today, it is needed and it is not babbling as many believe. I'm sorry to disagree.
I'm sorry to disagree with you as well, but I feel I must reply:

1. Speaking in tongues progressed until all the nations had heard it DURING THAT TIME, and then ended. But now that we have the completed Word of God the gift of tongues has ended.

2. It is true that tongues were meant for the edification of that person being spoken to. And yes, the passage goes on to describe which "tongues" there are, and their uses, "For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men but unto God…" 1 Co 14:2.. But you left this out, "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church…I [Paul speaking] would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying" 1 Co 14:4-5.

3. Let God be true and every man a liar.

Speaking in tongues was considered the weakest gift and was only recommended to be used within a specific setting, and not everyone could have this gift. It was meant for the edification of Believers, and the spreading of the Gospel to non-believers, but it was over when the Word of God was completed. Now, if there is any group of people who do not have the Gospel (or edification of the Word of God) we can learn their language and provide them with a translated Version of the Bible.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
23 Mar 07

Originally posted by SharpeMother
I'm sorry to disagree with you as well, but I feel I must reply:
What's this? Christians disagreeing with each other? Surely not! I mean, an omniscient God would have seen that one coming, surely?!