Four Pigs Of The Apocalypse (Medical Ethics)

Four Pigs Of The Apocalypse (Medical Ethics)

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e

Moves
19 Sep 13

I put this in the spirituality forum because this is possible as of 10 years ago, its just the question should we?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19 Sep 13
1 edit

Originally posted by e4chris
Yes but why put hope on the never never? When their are viable pigs for transplant now? And transplants are never ideal - if you could produce organs hopefully you could breed in some anti rejection in. And you have spares if one goes wrong! you don't and never will get that with human transplants.

I suspect they were ruled out because you might get lung ...[text shortened]... the 28 days later scenario - not so graphic but an outbreak, that was the reason we were given.
Pig transplants might save lives in the short term but the long term effort will be in using the persons' own stem cells to make a new organ, end of rejection issue forever, no need to fiddle around tweaking molecular fixes to stop rejection, you get that from day one with a new organ made from the persons' own cells.

e

Moves
20 Sep 13
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
Pig transplants might save lives in the short term but the long term effort will be in using the persons' own stem cells to make a new organ, end of rejection issue forever, no need to fiddle around tweaking molecular fixes to stop rejection, you get that from day one with a new organ made from the persons' own cells.
Maybe but it really puzzles me why this old now technology isn't used when transplants are never perfect and in very short supply (and have a macabre black market)

Like I said mice made with human immune systems cost £100 each so its quite affordable.

e

Moves
20 Sep 13

it might of got lost on the last page - this is the story i'm referring to; will try and find a more detailed one

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/jan/03/qanda.simonjeffery

??

e

Moves
20 Sep 13

Here is another Article 2011 from the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8584443/Pigs-could-grow-human-organs-in-stem-cell-breakthrough.html

The earliest articles I've found so far is on the bbc in 1999

e

Moves
21 Sep 13
1 edit

I might put this in the debates forum if your not interested - if you look up the research its 10 years old, only question is why is it not used

w

Moves
21 Sep 13
1 edit

Originally posted by rwingett
Too bad they didn't teach you the difference between 'there' and 'their' at this particular university. Or does your post reflect porcine linguistic cross-contamination?
No worries, just so long as he learned that God is dead and capitalism is the root of all evil, not that evil really exists, then all is well with the world. 😵

If he has learned these things, the the university have done there job.

e

Moves
21 Sep 13
3 edits

Originally posted by whodey
No worries, just so long as he learned that God is dead and capitalism is the root of all evil, not that evil really exists, then all is well with the world. 😵

If he has learned these things, the the university have done there job.
Don't blame the capitalists, this is about laws, pig transplants are dangerous and its about a country saying yes they are legal but under x y z conditions, I doubt many companies would take it on without some laws, to spare them liability if something other then the transplant went wrong, like a virus.

You need laws and you need something like the NHS putting down criteria as to how they could be safely done. Then a company might make them, they probably are made somewhere... Do they have them in America? on insurance?