For sonship: On Childishness

For sonship: On Childishness

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planet Rain

Moves
13 Mar 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
You had a point? 😲
Yes. On the top of his head.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Mar 14

Originally posted by LemonJello
I'm not sure that constitutes much of a revision. (Oh, you already basically said that.) But given the fact that you are attempting clarification, I'll reply in kind.

When I said the sun is the standard of light, that is straightforward and more than close enough to the relevant facts to be taken at face value.

It is "more than clos ...[text shortened]... e human eye. The hypothetical fact that the sun is our only star would not somehow change this.
I really don't think you understand how a good hypothetical works.
Right.
And my mom wears Army boots, right?
The only time I used the term 'hypothetical' was when I used it to describe the "hypothetical universe" which contained nothing but our solar system.
This hypothetical universe was then used allegorically to draw a parallel between the sun and God, between light and good.

What you are trying to show, ultimately, is that God is the definitive standard of morality.
Nope.
I was using the sun and its light as allegorical to ultimate good.
Remember?
But let's set morality aside and just talk about good and God.

So, here's how this all SHOULD work.
What you describe COULD work, but it--- by no means--- is the only way to convey the concept.
In a world of blindness, the one-eyed man is king.
The hypothetical universe readily positions the sun as the ultimate source of light, regardless of any earthly light sources, on the basis of its existence as the only light known to man!

There is no source of light that is the definitive standard of light. What nonsense.
You're saying this from the informed state... informed by your perception of reality as it presents itself to you.
This is precisely why I suggested a hypothetical universe--- sans stars or any other light from outside our solar system.
In our solar system and from man's perspective of that hypothetical reality, the sun is the definitive standard of light.
Save the occasional flash of lightning or chemically-induced glow, there is no other light to be had or seen.
So man finds a way to control fire and eventually creates an approximation of the light he sees in the day time in order to abate the lack of light he experiences in the night.

Again: some earthly source of light qualifies as a source of light because of its own emissive properties; not because there exists some source of light, as a definitive standard, to which this earthly thing stands in relation.
I'm pretty sure if man hasn't learned yet how to control fire or how to put particular materials together in such a fashion as to emit man-made light, he prolly hasn't figured out much beyond 'light = good.'
You're making an argument that is in the inverse to what I offered: man could just as easily look at a field of fireflies and consider ways of intensifying their short bursts in such a manner as to benefit from their glow.
Micro to macro, as it were.
Big deal.
He's already got macro: the sun covers the entire half of the planet upwards of 12 hours of every day.
He doesn't think to make the world awash in the glow of a billion fireflies; he endeavors to replicate a small portion of one sun.

Again, the upshot to all this is that your hypothetical is profoundly unsuccessful.
Since I didn't use the device except as noted, I don't feel as bad as I ought.
My bad.

It is light because it is electromagnetic radiation over specific wavelengths that happen to be visible to the human eye. The hypothetical fact that the sun is our only star would not somehow change this.
Chuckle.
Okay, I'll bite.
If our isolated solar system (I guess it's just a system now, right?) didn't have that solar part, are you suggesting that light/glow/any-form-at-all would still be a possibility?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Mar 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
I recommend a career as a secretary. You have a decent vocabulary, and a good handle on grammar and typesetting.

Just make sure someone else provides the content.
Well, you and wolfie are certainly trying to do.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Mar 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
I don't know why you typed this garbage?
What is your point?
And it's nonsense anyway!
Thanks for your thoughtful input.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Mar 14

Originally posted by Soothfast
Yes. On the top of his head.
That's a vent.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
13 Mar 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Thanks for your thoughtful input.
More thoughtful input for you

If there were any type of similar light available to man in the darkness, he would never have invented any form of light.

This response was directed at your objection--- you do remember objecting, don't you?--- to something I hadn't said, namely, that man had invented light.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
13 Mar 14

The earth being one of those planets in that isolated universe has its share of days in the sun; every numbered day is split nearly evenly between light and then the absence of the same.

Day and night. Sure they are nearly even. Plus/minus 12 hours!

Or are you speaking metaphorically or allegorically or just stupidly?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Mar 14
1 edit

More thoughtful input for you

[b]Originally posted by FreakyKBH

If there were any type of similar light available to man in the darkness, he would never have invented any form of light.

This response was directed at your objection--- you do remember objecting, don't you?--- to something I hadn't said, namely, that man had invented light. [/b]
Forms of light, man-made:
candles
light bulbs
stadium incandescent towers
tv's
flashlights
light houses
flashing LED adult marital aids

You know, stuff like that.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Mar 14

Day and night. Sure they are nearly even. Plus/minus 12 hours!

Or are you speaking metaphorically or allegorically or just stupidly?
Equator-laterally, of course.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
13 Mar 14

Equator-laterally, of course.
Not the vast majority of the Earth then? Just some very, very small part.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
13 Mar 14

Forms of light, man-made:
candles
light bulbs
stadium incandescent towers
tv's
flashlights
light houses
flashing LED adult marital aids

You know, stuff like that.
None of those are "forms of light"
More irrelevancy.

btw ... tv's [sic] ... what do they own? 😀

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Mar 14

Not the vast majority of the Earth then? Just some very, very small part.
Distinction without a difference, really.
And--- as per usual--- irrelevant.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Mar 14

None of those are "forms of light"
More irrelevancy.

btw ... tv's [sic] ... what do they own? 😀
I'm nearly certain you understand the intent of the term 'form,' yet you persist in this childishness.

Not sure if I have it exactly right, but I've got to be pretty close: you're just a troll, huh.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
13 Mar 14

I'm nearly certain you understand the intent of the term 'form,' yet you persist in this childishness.

Not sure if I have it exactly right, but I've got to be pretty close: you're just a troll, huh.
If I asked a class of 10 year-olds for different forms of light I'm sure I
would get UV, laser, IR and all the colours of the rainbow. I may even
get sunlight, moonlight and candlelight.

I would not get candle, tv, or lighthouse!

As for trolling NO. I'm finished here - have the last word if it makes you feel good.

K

Moves
14 Mar 14

LemonJello,
You Typed
--------------
(4) Punishment or reward as a moral motivators. Fixation on retribution and recompense. If you talk to a theist who holds some version of theological voluntarism to be true, he or she will often proffer (avoidance of) punishment or (reaping of) reward as moral motivators. I suspect they have some idea that these are inadequate but what other choices do they really have? Take sonship's view that God is simply definitive of goodness. You can ask him "But why should I be good on your view?" He can say because you would be thereby more Godlike. "But why is it good to be Godlike on your view?" He can only say that this is definitional. He cannot say that it is for this or that God-independent explanative reason, pace the Euthyphro dilemma. This is pretty much a vacuous and meaningless response with respect to any sincere moral inquirer. So what is he left with? He would only be left with prudential reasons to offer, by suggesting this or that will come to you if you do this or fail to do that. This is not so different from a child whose early moralistic behaviors are basically pressed into service by reward and punishment programs of some guardian.
------------------------

Are you saying that God can relate to us as sinners who want to go our own way and do our own thing? Are you saying that God wants us to be autonomous and sin against Him at every turn we desire?

Are you saying that God would accept us even though we do what is against Him? Do you accept people that sin against you at every turn just because they want to do it?