For dear Agers

For dear Agers

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
14 May 11
1 edit

Nearly half of Britons believe the Bible is an important book but many fail to realise
its influence on everyday language, a survey suggests.

More people believe the expression "a drop in the bucket" originated from Tony Blair
- at 12% - than from the Bible - at just 7% - an online poll for the Bible Society has
shown.

The research into the views of 2,379 people carried out earlier this month showed
nearly the same proportion believed the phrase "the writing on the wall" was from
the Beatles, at 18%, as from the Bible, at 19%.

Fewer than one in 10 people, at 9%, knew the expression "eat, drink and be merry"
was from the New Testament, with 41% saying they thought it was from
Shakespeare.

The only Bible phrase to be identified correctly out of a list of five by a majority of
Britons, at 56%, was the expression "my brother's keeper" - from the words of
Cain in Genesis "Am I my brother's keeper?".

The findings come in spite of nearly half, or 46%, saying they believed the Bible was
an important book and had valuable messages.

The survey was released as the Bible Society in England and Wales and the Scottish
Bible Society launched a project inviting people to handwrite parts of the Bible using
a digital pen to mark the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible. The results will
be uploaded onto the internet and available online.

The "People's Bible" tour of Britain will begin at Edinburgh Castle on June 19 on the
anniversary of the birth of King James VI of Scotland at the castle in 1566.

Luke Walton, culture programme manager at the Bible Society, said: "It's clear that
people's knowledge of the Bible is limited and they just don't realise how significant
and wide-ranging its influence has been.

"We hope that this project will help people, once again, to value the Bible."

http://breakingnews.heraldscotland.com/breaking-news/?mode=article&site=hs&
id=N0444611305243468540A

s

England

Moves
14 May 11
1 edit

most use the term a drop in the ocean, and some belive its a apple that adam took from,, but the influence of the bible is not the terms its the message and teachings of our moral duty to care and show we care in our laws .. which is suprizing that the only party ive heard promoting christian values and not a multi law is the BNP

rc

Moves
14 May 11

Originally posted by stoker
most use the term a drop in the ocean, and some belive its a apple that adam took from,, but the influence of the bible is not the terms its the message and teachings of our moral duty to care and show we care in our laws.
it used to be. Have you never been a witness in a court of Law? i dont know if they still do it, but i have sworn to tell the truth upon the Bible at least twice to my recollection.

s

England

Moves
14 May 11

they offer a alternative for non belivers and other faiths, still has the same legal oath but does not mention god just to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

rc

Moves
14 May 11

Originally posted by stoker
they offer a alternative for non belivers and other faiths, still has the same legal oath but does not mention god just to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
wussies, where's the accountability?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 May 11
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Nearly half of Britons believe the Bible is an important book but many fail to realise
its influence on everyday language, a survey suggests.

More people believe the expression "a drop in the bucket" originated from Tony Blair
- at 12% - than from the Bible - at just 7% - an online poll for the Bible Society has
shown.

The research into t scotland.com/breaking-news/?mode=article&site=hs&
id=N0444611305243468540A
So what? Many modern expressions can be traced to 'pagan' writers like Cicero. Cicero is valuable but it has nothing to do with any current linguistic impact but with the endurance of the ideas behind those expressions.

rc

Moves
14 May 11

Originally posted by Conrau K
So what? Many modern expressions can be traced to 'pagan' writers like Cicero.
so the British public has no clue to what is contained in the most widely distributed, most widely translated collection of little books in the entire history of humanity, that's what.

Cape Town

Moves
14 May 11

so the British public has no clue to what is contained in the most widely distributed, most widely translated collection of little books in the entire history of humanity, that's what.
So either they have a poor education system, or the origin of phrases is not considered that important in their education system.

I must note however that Chinese has a lot of sayings that match almost word for word the English ones, and many of them are older than the Bible.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 May 11

Personally, I am more disappointed that few have read Virgil's Aeneid. Why should I care about biblical literacy?

rc

Moves
14 May 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
So either they have a poor education system, or the origin of phrases is not considered that important in their education system.

I must note however that Chinese has a lot of sayings that match almost word for word the English ones, and many of them are older than the Bible.
you cannot blame the education system, almost every home has a bible, its just not highly regarded, or not regarded enough for people to read.

rc

Moves
14 May 11

Originally posted by Conrau K
Personally, I am more disappointed that few have read Virgil's Aeneid. Why should I care about biblical literacy?
well ok, whatever rocks your socks, yes why should you care?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 May 11

Jonathan Agnew shakes his head, but then doesn't know if it's for the former, the latter or both 🙂

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
15 May 11
3 edits

you cannot blame the education system, almost every home has a bible, its just not highly regarded, or not regarded enough for people to read.
I don't see why it necessarily deserves to be highly regarded. Yes we can acknowledge that it forms part of the history of humanity, but that it deserves veneration is a tall ask. That it is so widely distributed speaks less of its virtue and more of the barbarism via which it was forced onto people throughout history. Even to this day people have its contents rammed down their throat long before they are an age where they can rationally decide for themselves whether Christianity is the path they want to walk, and so this mass early indoctrination induces further distribution of the book to fulfil the growing demand for it on the part of the brainwashed who want their own damned copy of the thing or parents who buy it for their children. Then of course you have the sheep mentality where people shopping for a religion, or base of spirituality appeal to the large number of Christian adherents (attained largely via the points above) as a measure of its veracity, and thus they too want a Bible, and so it continues...

That there are so many of the things knocking about is of no consequence to me when considering whether it's contents should be revered or not. Indeed The Sun is one of the most popular newspapers in the UK,football is one of the most popular sports across the globe, does that mean I should have any respect for them? I think not! 😞

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
15 May 11

Originally posted by Agerg
I don't see why it necessarily deserves to be highly regarded. Yes we can acknowledge that it forms part of the history of humanity, but that it deserves veneration is a tall ask. That it is so widely distributed speaks less of its virtue and more of the barbarism via which it was forced onto people throughout history. Even to this day people have its contents ...[text shortened]... ar sports across the globe, does that mean I should have any respect for them? I think not! 😞
They did not do a very good job of ramming it down your throat.
I see nothing wrong with the sheep mentality as long as they have
a good shepard to guide them. Against all odds, it continues.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
15 May 11

The Bible is also the most commonly shoplifted book in America.