Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f

Moves
02 Jun 06

Originally posted by darvlay
On a scale of 1 to 10, in your own opinion, how good of a fisher are you?

If you've led one unsaved person to Christ, consider yourself a 2 or a 3, depending on how unsaved the person actually was. i.e. If that person was simply a gullible loner who liked the idea of having something to do on Sunday, consider yourself a 2.

As a rule of thumb, 10 is B ...[text shortened]... he best fishermen gets the following prize: a rec from Jesus. There are no consolation prizes.
It would be (and is) foolish to count what your own self did, because its not YOU who saved, but Jesus.

Somone could go and lead somone to the Lord, but it may have been the smile of another person the day before, that helps them sees the happiness in being in the Lord.

l

London

Moves
02 Jun 06

If you've led one unsaved person to Christ, consider yourself a 2 or a 3, depending on how unsaved the person actually was. i.e. If that person was simply a gullible loner who liked the idea of having something to do on Sunday, consider yourself a 2.

As a rule of thumb, 10 is B ...[text shortened]... he best fishermen gets the following prize: a rec from Jesus. There are no consolation prizes.
I've never fished fish, let alone men.

And, since I think no one is really "saved" (i.e. certain of heaven) until they're dead - I'll let the question pass.

Cape Town

Moves
02 Jun 06

Shouldn't Billy Graham get some minus points for having the wrong motives? (Money)

S

Moves
02 Jun 06
1 edit

I know that I've turned at least two people away from christ in my life, and possibly been an influence on more. I'll give myself a -5.5 I think.

EDIT: Do other religions count? I once convinced a muslim to get pissed during ramadan.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jun 06

Who the hell is Billy Graham ?

l

London

Moves
02 Jun 06

Originally posted by Starrman
EDIT: Do other religions count? I once convinced a muslim to get pissed during ramadan.
So much for respect.

S

Moves
02 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by lucifershammer
So much for respect.
I don't have any respect for any religion. I do have respect for people. He was pretending to be a muslim, he needed it pointed out to him that he was a fake and this seemed a good way to do it. I respected him enough to show him that he was wasting his life.

d

Moves
02 Jun 06

Originally posted by Rochade
Who the hell is Billy Graham ?
A walking corpse.

l

London

Moves
02 Jun 06

I don't have any respect for any religion. I do have respect for people. He was pretending to be a muslim, he needed it pointed out to him that he was a fake and this seemed a good way to do it. I respected him enough to show him that he was wasting his life.
Wasting his life because he was religious or wasting his life because he adhered to a religion he didn't really believe in?

S

Moves
02 Jun 06

Wasting his life because he was religious or wasting his life because he adhered to a religion he didn't really believe in?
Both, but my actions were regarding the second part.

l

London

Moves
02 Jun 06

Both, but my actions were regarding the second part.
If it were the first, would you have gotten him pissed anyway?

S

Moves
02 Jun 06

If it were the first, would you have gotten him pissed anyway?
Hmm, I'm not sure. I suppose that depends on how well I knew him and whether I thought his beliefs were having an adverse affect on his life. Also, getting him drunk wouldn't necessarily have been the best way to go about it.

Also, I didn't get him pissed, I merely pointed out that his drinking coke was a show, since he didn't adhere to his supposed beliefs enough to conduct other simple muslim practices. Once I'd reasoned it out with him, he admitted that he'd been wanting to drink and ordered himself a pint.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
02 Jun 06

Liam, I think you 've got a bad taste in your mouth that many of us have from religion. However, just because you may not like "religion", it doesn't mean that there are faiths out there that are not without merit or people practicing their faith that are not decent and honorable.

My first reaction to your post was (at least in my inclusive mindset) to say that music is your religion. If some old blue-haired aunt of yours came up to you and said, "Sonny, you're just wasting your time with that thingy you play. Can't you get a real job? Music is a waste of your life" I'd bet you would be mad as hell, and rightfully so.

I realize I am coming from this from a different perspective than many would as they would never equate a "passion" with a religion.

S

Moves
02 Jun 06

Originally posted by kirksey957
Liam, I think you 've got a bad taste in your mouth that many of us have from religion. However, just because you may not like "religion", it doesn't mean that there are faiths out there that are not without merit or people practicing their faith that are not decent and honorable.

My first reaction to your post was (at least in my inclusive mindset) ...[text shortened]... t perspective than many would as they would never equate a "passion" with a religion.
I agree completely Kirk, when I say religion, what I mean is institutionalised religions such as Catholicism or any group which has some sort of dogma/doctrine which claims to be the correct way of doing things. As I said in a previous post, I respect people; they are entitled to their own beliefs and practices in whatever they have faith in. I have the utmost respect for people who believe god exists, but worship him either under their own steam, or (as I recently found out with a fellow member of my cricket team) who get together without creed or stricture and worship with others of a like mindset. Since I personally view a belief in god's existence as incorrect, I find those who do believe in him and admit that nothing supports this other than their own faith far more credible than those who rely on an institutionalised religion as a justification or crutch.

In reference to my previous postss here, what I intend is that I would see turning people away from institutions a worthwhile pursuit. I would not ever wish to stop a single person from believing what they do (though obviously I would question that belief with them).

l

London

Moves
02 Jun 06

I agree completely Kirk, when I say religion, what I mean is institutionalised religions such as Catholicism or any group which has some sort of dogma/doctrine which claims to be the correct way of doing things. As I said in a previous post, I respect people; they are entitled to their own beliefs and practices in whatever they have faith in. I have the u ...[text shortened]... e person from believing what they do (though obviously I would question that belief with them).
Most religions (especially the "institutionalised" ones) believe in the existence of objective truth. Clearly, if you believe X is true, you cannot but say not-X is false. And, if you believe that a particular institution/religion is true, then it's just juvenile for you to oppose it solely on the basis of some pretend-freedom of "doing things on your own steam".

Not every follower of an "institutionalised" religion is an idiot. Some of us have freely joined the institution because that is where we think truth is.