Feed my little sheep, (John 21:15-17)

Feed my little sheep, (John 21:15-17)

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
24 Apr 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
take it to your anti watchtower bible and tract society thread Ron Jonah Hinds, this is
about a specific passage in the Bible, which you are free to comment upon, otherwise
start your own thread for your petty jealousies.
as much as rjhinds fails to understand the bible in general, he has understood the significance of that quoted scripture while you have failed to do so.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
24 Apr 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
as much as rjhinds fails to understand the bible in general, he has understood the significance of that quoted scripture while you have failed to do so.
Understanding it and doing it are two different things. Jesus said most would do lip service but when it came down to actually doing what we are to do our friend RJH is only lipping what he knows.
As I said he would kill anyone on this planet if his true lord, his government, told him too.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
24 Apr 12

John 21:15-17
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
The Love Motivation

15 So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus *said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you [a]love Me more than these?” He *said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I [b]love You.” He *said to him, “Tend My lambs.” 16 He *said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you [c]love Me?” He *said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I [d]love You.” He *said to him, “Shepherd My sheep.” 17 He *said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you [e]love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you [f]love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I [g]love You.” Jesus *said to him, “Tend My sheep.

Footnotes:
John 21:15 Gr agapao
John 21:15 Gr phileo
John 21:16 Gr agapao
John 21:16 Gr phileo
John 21:17 Gr phileo

It does state that Peter was grieved by Jesus questioning him but I believe Jesus was testing Peter to motivate Peter and Jesus already knew Peter loved Him but I guess we lose what Christ was trying to do in translation a bit

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
24 Apr 12

Interesting side note Peter said Lord you know all things and Christ does not rebuke or scold Peter for stating the fact that Christ really did know all things 🙂

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
24 Apr 12

Also it's a command to Peter 🙂 Tend my Sheep !!!!

Manny

rc

Moves
24 Apr 12
4 edits

Indeed we can see the different usages of the Greek terms for love, in this instance
agape, principled love and philia, brotherly or affectionate love. Tend is what a
shepherd does, it has no real independent value here, shepherd is a much better
translation as it carries with it the idea of the metaphor Christ was using.

poimainó (shepherd)

poimainó: to act as a shepherd
Original Word:
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: poimainó
Phonetic Spelling: (poy-mah'-ee-no)
Short Definition: I shepherd, tend
Definition: I shepherd, tend, herd; hence: I rule, govern.

to shepherd, rule

From poimen; to tend as a shepherd of (figuratively, superviser) -- feed (cattle), rule.

see GREEK poimen

rc

Moves
24 Apr 12

Peter understood Christs meaning as affection, supreme love, Lol, i really did laugh out
loud at the lunacy of that statement, ahhh yes the internet, it brings village jesters from
all parts of the globe together.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
24 Apr 12

R.C. We know that Peter loved Jesus as He was ready to fight for him and chopped a dude's ear off. Of course we know this is not what Christ wanted for Peter but that they were eventually going to die for the Jesus later down the road.

Manny

rc

Moves
24 Apr 12

Originally posted by menace71
R.C. We know that Peter loved Jesus as He was ready to fight for him and chopped a dude's ear off. Of course we know this is not what Christ wanted for Peter but that they were eventually going to die for the Jesus later down the road.

Manny
yes this is understood Manfred my melancholy friend, but the real import of Jesus
asking Peter if he had affection for him was to motivate Peter to do something, Christ
was in fact appealing to Peter on the basis of love, if you love me Peter do something
with that love.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
24 Apr 12

Originally posted by menace71
Also it's a command to Peter 🙂 Tend my Sheep !!!!

Manny
Yes you are correct but what does the feeding issue mean?

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
25 Apr 12

Peter understood Christs meaning as affection, supreme love, Lol, i really did laugh out
loud at the lunacy of that statement, ahhh yes the internet, it brings village jesters from
all parts of the globe together.
despite your inanity above, you learned something but you are too proud to admit that you were schooled on the bible by a non-believer.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Apr 12

despite your inanity above, you learned something but you are too proud to admit that you were schooled on the bible by a non-believer.
He is too proud to admit learning from a believer too.

rc

Moves
25 Apr 12
2 edits

tell me again what it is I have learned for as much as i can discern, yours posts are
simply fallacious, time and again, the mere fact that i have not bothered to point
these fallacies out, doesn't mean they were not present, for example, look at this ad
hominem above, my alleged inanity is irrelevant, my capacity for learning has no bearing on
the passage and its correct evaluation, whether i can accept counsel or not is also
irrelevant, that i was schooled in any capacity by a non believer is a contradiction,
you state i am too proud to learn then insist i have been schooled, elsewhere you
asserted that i have failed to understand anything when in fact i had offered no
explanations, merely having been content to ask questions, all in all its the biggest
pile of logical fallacies I have ever seen and while i wish you no harm void spirit if
you wish to contribute to the thread it would be best for you if you turned up the
tone a little

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
25 Apr 12

tell me again what it is I have learned for as much as i can discern, yours posts are
simply fallacious, time and again, the mere fact that i have not bothered to point
these fallacies out, doesn't mean they were not present, for example, look at this ad
hominem above, my alleged inanity is irrelevant, my capacity for learning has no bearing on ...[text shortened]... wish to contribute to the thread it would be best for you if you turned up the
tone a little
the thread is still here for you to review it, i will not go over the same things again. weather you accept or reject what has been revealed is completely irrelevant since we are discussing a fictional scenario.

rc

Moves
25 Apr 12
3 edits

the thread is still here for you to review it, i will not go over the same things again. weather you accept or reject what has been revealed is completely irrelevant since we are discussing a fictional scenario.
I must be in the wrong place, every where i look, boxes of fallacies piled high, it must
be some kind of all industrial, all encompassing monolith fallacy factory.