Fear of Death

Fear of Death

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illinois

Moves
11 Jul 11

Originally posted by JS357
But it may be a tautology that only authentic Christians get the reward, as if someone gets the reward, they must have, by that fact have been an AC. The same could be said for authentic ducks. If it is not a tautology, it is a "no true Scotsman" argument: If X does not get the reward, he must not have been a true AC. So it being logically consistent is not supportive of its truth or even its possibility of truth.
Agreed. So?

T

Moves
11 Jul 11
6 edits

Originally posted by jaywill
[b]====================================
So how can you discern "good tree[s]" from "bad tree[s]" if both "bear bad fruit"? Clearly you can't. Evidently you don't have an answer for this so you avoid the issue.

So much for your point about "...Christ's underscoring the importance of discerning which believers are false and which are true based on th and false prophets and forcing it to be about true and false Christians.
[/b]C'mon Jaywill. If you paid better attention you'd realize that it was Epi who asserted that that passage was about "discerning true Christians from false Christians." Jesus said something VERY similar in Luke about people in general, so there was no reason to quibble.

Luke 6
42“Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother’s eye. 43“For there is no good tree which produces bad fruit, nor, on the other hand, a bad tree which produces good fruit. 44“For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a briar bush. 45“The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.

You can claim that "many of the 'difficult issues have been addressed" all you want, but then there's reality.

T

Moves
11 Jul 11
2 edits

Originally posted by epiphinehas
Is it so hard to imagine that someone would rather not debate with you in particular? After all, antagonistic ad hominem conjecture is your forum M. O.—as evidenced by your last few posts.
Classic. Note that Epi is still avoiding actually addressing the issue. I don't expect he will, that's HIS forum M. O.

His unconscious mind continues to provide rationalizations as to why he shouldn't address it. This time by asserting an ad hominem attack when there is none. That he is avoiding addressing the issue is very much on point and so, by definition, not an ad hom.

The irony is that his assertion of an ad hominem attack not only false, it is in and of itself an ad hominem attack.

If he bothers to respond at all, he will likely avoid addressing the issue with yet another rationalization. Like I said, "If it weren't that one, it'd just be another. Seems to speak to the topic of this thread - imagine that." And if he doesn't respond, it'll be the ultimate avoidance.

The sad thing is that the words of Jesus are largely embraced by many non-Christians . It is largely because of all the mythology that Christianity created about Jesus that extends beyond what Jesus taught, that so many find Christianity untenable. Seems likely that many more would embrace the words of Jesus if they didn't have to find their way past the mythology.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Jul 11

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Classic. Note that Epi is still avoiding actually addressing the issue. I don't expect he will, that's HIS forum M. O.

His unconscious mind continues to provide rationalizations as to why he shouldn't address it. This time by asserting an ad hominem attack when there is none. That he is avoiding addressing the issue is very much on point.

The irony ...[text shortened]... s[/i] that extends beyond what Jesus taught, that so many find Christianity untenable.
Wow! You can read the unconscious mind.

T

Moves
11 Jul 11
1 edit

Originally posted by josephw
Wow! You can read the unconscious mind.
lol. It'll be a fine day indeed when you start addressing the salient points of my posts with well thought out responses.

Illinois

Moves
11 Jul 11

His unconscious mind continues to provide rationalizations as to why he shouldn't address it. This time by asserting an ad hominem attack when there is none. That he is avoiding addressing the issue is very much on point.

The irony ...[text shortened]... d embrace the words of Jesus if they didn't have to find their way past the mythology.
Like I said, if anyone wants to discuss the issue ThinkOfOne raised, I am more than willing to.

T

Moves
11 Jul 11
2 edits

Like I said, if anyone wants to discuss the issue ThinkOfOne raised, I am more than willing to.
Classic. The avoidance continues as expected. Evidently the "fear of death" is still getting the best of Epi.

Illinois

Moves
11 Jul 11

Classic. The avoidance continues as expected. Evidently the "fear of death" is still getting the best of Epi.
Hey, let's see how many false statements you can make about me in one thread, shall we? I say you can top twenty-five at least. You're almost halfway there, keep it up!

T

Moves
11 Jul 11

Hey, let's see how many false statements you can make about me in one thread, shall we? I say you can top twenty-five at least. You're almost halfway there, keep it up!
Classic. The avoidance continues as expected - with yet another false accusation. Evidently Epi is so enslaved by the "fear of death" that he'll do anything and everything to avoid addressing the issue.

Many seem to have had the experience that Christians cannot rationally discuss their beliefs. The smart money is on a "fear of death" as the underlying cause. They are slaves to this fear.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Jul 11

lol. It'll be a fine day indeed when you start addressing the salient points of my posts with well thought out responses.
No way I'm going to think while replying to your points. You'd be reading my mind, and that spooks me. In fact, that's probably why my replies are no good.

Besides, I don't like getting mad at you. You have a way of doing that to me. lol

Illinois

Moves
11 Jul 11
1 edit

Classic. The avoidance continues as expected - with yet another false accusation. Evidently Epi is so enslaved by the "fear of death" that he'll do anything and everything to avoid addressing the issue.

Many seem to have had the experience that Christians cannot rationally discuss their beliefs. The smart money is on a "fear of death" as the underlying cause. They are slaves to this fear.
Way to go, buddy, keep the false statements coming. Being the object of your derision is a badge of honor!
Again, and it should be obvious to anyone following this thread, I am not avoiding addressing the issue ThinkOfOne raised. What I am avoiding is discussing anything with ThinkOfOne himself because of his antagonistic, vitriolic, ad hominem debate style.
Please feel free to start a new thread (not you, ThinkOfOne) and we can discuss the merits of sinless perfectionism.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Jul 11

"They are slaves to this fear."

You must certainly be trying to provoke. Otherwise I'm sure you know how obtuse that is.

Illinois

Moves
11 Jul 11

Done here.

T

Moves
11 Jul 11

Way to go, buddy, keep the false statements coming. Being the object of your derision is a badge of honor! [hidden]Again, and it should be obvious to anyone following this thread, I am not avoiding addressing the issue ThinkOfOne raised. What I am avoiding is discussing anything with ThinkOfOne himself because of his antagonistic, vitriolic, [i ...[text shortened]... ew thread (not you, ThinkOfOne) and we can discuss the merits of sinless perfectionism.[/hidden]
The fact is that Epi continues to avoid addressing the issue. That he keeps coming up with various excuses as to why is irrelevant. That he is working so hard to do so is really quite telling.

T

Moves
11 Jul 11

Originally posted by josephw
[b]"They are slaves to this fear."

You must certainly be trying to provoke. Otherwise I'm sure you know how obtuse that is.[/b]
Actually, there's really quite a bit of merit to it.