Favourite Frauds

Favourite Frauds

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
25 Oct 05

The histories of religion and science alike are replete with frauds, so much so that at times they resemble freakshows. So roll up, carnie's waitin', air your favourite frauds here.

Dj2, would you oblige me with the tale of Nebraskan Man?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
25 Oct 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
The histories of religion and science alike are replete with frauds, so much so that at times they resemble freakshows. So roll up, carnie's waitin', air your favourite frauds here.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/piltdown.html

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
25 Oct 05

Originally posted by Halitose
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/piltdown.html
I was hoping this would be a bit more like show & tell, with stories rather than links--for a carnival atmosphere, you understand.

Piltdown man...I recall the tale from school...So the earnest Darwinian was duped by the devious Dawson's ape-and-human hybrid? Thankfully, the fossil record could be used to expose the fake.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
25 Oct 05

I was hoping this would be a bit more like show & tell, with stories rather than links--for a carnival atmosphere, you understand.

Piltdown man...I recall the tale from school...So the earnest Darwinian was duped by the devious Dawson's ape-and-human hybrid? Thankfully, the fossil record could be used to expose the fake.
They dated the skull and jawbone and found the jawbone to be merely decades old. The fossil record? It wasn't discarded because it didn't fit the evolution model, but because it was clearly a constructed fraud.

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
25 Oct 05

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Popoff

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
25 Oct 05
1 edit

Originally posted by lausey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Popoff
"Popoff is also known for sending packets of Miracle Spring Water to his viewers"...Good to see there's an alternative to snake-oil out there.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
25 Oct 05

Surely the greatest fraud is the dinosaurs.
I mean all those mad left wing scientists going around, planting fake bones and trying to convince us giant bloody lizards roamed the earth...

pfffft...

Like I'm gonna fall for the old: "It's a dino bone" trick...

R

Hamelin: RAT-free

Moves
25 Oct 05

Originally posted by shavixmir
I mean all those mad left wing scientists going around, planting fake bones and trying to convince us giant bloody lizards roamed the earth...

pfffft...

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. Despite that, it still seems a little above you.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
25 Oct 05

Originally posted by shavixmir

pfffft...

Were you trying to be funny?

a

Meddling with things

Moves
25 Oct 05

Originally posted by Halitose
Were you trying to be funny?
Some-one almost laughed in spirituality forum SHOCK!!!

Has there been a collective sense of humour failiure on the god side of the bored?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
25 Oct 05

Originally posted by aardvarkhome
Some-one almost laughed in spirituality forum SHOCK!!!

Has there been a collective sense of humour failiure on the god side of the bored?
Okay, I admit I chuckled, but I kinda miss the jokes that aren't riddled with prejudice and sarcasm. Humour should rise above all that cr@p...

Here's a neutral one: Time is relative - the length of a minute depends on which side of the bathroom door you are.