1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 15:31
    Who is the faithful & discreet slave Jesus spoke of at Matt 24: 3, 45-51?
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 15:331 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    testing 1 2 3
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 15:371 edit
    Those who faithfully follow the commandments of Jesus.
  4. Pepperland
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 16:06
    I follow what jesus said (well, most of it), and yet I don't consider myself a "discreet slave", the term is demeaning.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 16:51
    Does this have anything to do with Luke 12:42-48?
  6. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 17:50
    I'm not sure of the relevance of verse 3 is to the question of who the faithful and wise servant is.

As far as the translation; most of the ones I researched say faithful and wise servant. One of them translated as sensible slave which I think is probably a good translation as well (as slave and servant are interchangable exegetically). Not sure how your translation came about with discreet, it changes the meaning and the nuance.

The faithful and wise servant: Jude calls himself a Bond-servant of Christ, as do other new Testament authors. As to who is faithful and wise? Well it appears from the reading of matthew that there is more than one type of servant (slave) The parable is meant to teach between good and moral leadershup and lazy and wicked leadership. The faithful and wise servant is one who cares for the welfare of other servants, the wicked one cares only for his own gain. There is no one faithul and wise servant, there are many.
  7. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 17:53
    It would seem so, but the connotation from the reading is the same as Matthew.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 18:171 edit
    Luke 12:47-48
    47 "And that slave who knew his master’s will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes, 48 but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.

Note that the slave who knew his master's will and did not act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes. So those who know the commandments of Jesus and do not faithfully follow them, i.e., continue to commit sin, will receive the greatest punishment.

What's tragic is that it seems the vast majority of Christians do not even believe that they must become faithful slaves even though Jesus teaches this many times and in many different ways. It seems they are blinded by the teachings of Paul.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 18:331 edit
    Originally posted by duecer
    I'm not sure of the relevance of verse 3 is to the question of who the faithful and wise servant is.

As far as the translation; most of the ones I researched say faithful and wise servant. One of them translated as sensible slave which I think is probably a good translation as well (as slave and servant are interchangable exegetically). Not sure how your ...[text shortened]... cked one cares only for his own gain. There is no one faithul and wise servant, there are many.
    Well verse 3 is where they were asking Jesus what would be some of the signs of the last days of this system. So one of these would be that this slave would now be looked for by Jesus, recognized, and then given futher respondsibilites. Also it would be a group, not one as is mentioned and could not be just all worshipers in general because this group or slaves would be giving out this food or "spiritual food" that is needed for the domestics.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 18:42
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Luke 12:47-48
    47 "[b]And that slave who knew his master’s will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes
    , 48 but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they wi ...[text shortened]... is many times and in many different ways. It seems they are blinded by the teachings of Paul.[/b]
    All I have to say, just my opinion, is that your treading on dangerous ground to say part of the Bible should not be there.
    Rev 22:18,19.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 19:44
    Well verse 3 is where they were asking Jesus what would be some of the signs of the last days of this system. So one of these would be that this slave would now be looked for by Jesus, recognized, and then given futher respondsibilites. Also it would be a group, not one as is mentioned and could not be just all worshipers in general because this group or slaves would be giving out this food or "spiritual food" that is needed for the domestics.
    Also to show this must be an important event Matt 25:1-30 emphises this same thought even more. Four different examples as to how important this work is that Jesus gives to his followers. Obviously this
    group has to take this endeaour very seriously. Who are these slaves that are given this assignment?
  12. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 20:43
    Let me guess? The 144,000! Or all JW's these are the the discret & faithful servants of God. Am I right?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 20:49
    Originally posted by menace71
    Let me guess? The 144,000! Or all JW's these are the the discret & faithful servants of God. Am I right?
    i think it must be the armchair christians, who drive to church in huge SUVs every Sunday, past lots of spiritually needy persons, while throwing leaflets out of the window in the hope that it hits one of them on the head and they become delirious and as confused as a trinitarain, and then drive back again.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 20:56
    Originally posted by menace71
    You tell me who you think this is?
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 21:05
    All I have to say, just my opinion, is that your treading on dangerous ground to say part of the Bible should not be there.
    Rev 22:18,19.
    You also dismiss parts of the bible. There are parts that contradict the teachings of Jesus. It seems that when you come across this, you choose to dismiss the teachings of Jesus instead of the other way around. It is you who is "treading on dangerous ground".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree