Evolution and meat: Berkeley University

Evolution and meat: Berkeley University

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
17 Sep 11

Originally posted by Conrau K
Well, I don't think anyone is arguing the point that meat was required for our evolution. The point of contention is whether it is still required.
It could easily be argued. If a vegetarian diet has everything one requires for optimum health, then how is meat-eating an essential component of our evolution?

Put another way, if a prehistoric Moses had come down the mountain with a stone tablet engraved with a variety of nutritious vegetarian recipes, an unlimited supply of ingredients, and a compendium of Sudoku puzzles (death for those who can't solve the puzzle of the day!) we might have evolved the intelligence we have today.

The point is there's an equivocation of the word "essential". The study uses a retrograde definition: if you remove meat from prehistoric humans' diet then we wouldn't have evolved to be as intelligent as we are today. But this is misleading, and unfalsifiable.

The study also suggests that it wasn't the protein in meat that caused our brains to develop but rather carbohydrates in plants:
The brain is a relentless consumer of calories, said Milton. It needs glucose 24 hours a day. Animal protein probably did not provide many of those calories, which were more likely to come from carbohydrates, she said.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
17 Sep 11

Originally posted by Green Paladin
It could easily be argued. If a vegetarian diet has everything one requires for optimum health, then how is meat-eating an essential component of our evolution?

Put another way, if a prehistoric Moses had come down the mountain with a stone tablet engraved with a variety of nutritious vegetarian recipes, an unlimited supply of ingredients, a ...[text shortened]... y of those calories, which were more likely to come from carbohydrates, she said.[/quote]
That's an awful lot of plants to eat. How many calories a day would you think a fully grown prehistoric person would need to eat?

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
17 Sep 11

Originally posted by Proper Knob
That's an awful lot of plants to eat. How many calories a day would you think a fully grown prehistoric person would need to eat?
I think you're thinking of animals like cows that have to eat an enormous amount of vegetable matter because the nutritive quality of grass is very low.

I'm a vegan and don't have to eat larger servings than the average meat-eater.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
17 Sep 11

I think you're thinking of animals like cows that have to eat an enormous amount of vegetable matter because the nutritive quality of grass is very low.

I'm a vegan and don't have to eat larger servings than the average meat-eater.
But you have to eat a certain amount of calories a day to survive. Every living animal on this planet has to consume x amount of energy otherwise it will die.

What would you say the minimum amount of calories a prehistoric person would have to eat to survive would be?

The recommendation in this country, the UK, is about 2500 a day. Would you say it would be roughly that ball park for a prehistoric man?

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
17 Sep 11

But you have to eat a certain amount of calories a day to survive. Every living animal on this planet has to consume x amount of energy otherwise it will die.

What would you say the minimum amount of calories a prehistoric person would have to eat to survive would be?

The recommendation in this country, the UK, is about 2500 a day. Would you say it would be roughly that ball park for a prehistoric man?
Yes, I think it would be roughly in that ball park.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Sep 11

Originally posted by divegeester
The point in the OP is that meat eating is biologically essential for evolution; hunting has nothing to do with biology.

It's interesting how posters here compromise their view of evolution when modern day social acceptances are at stake.

We need meat to survive - it is the way our bodies have evolved. Accept it.
All of creation is devolving not evolving. In the beginning, God created
everything perfect, but how many things do we have that are perfect today?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Sep 11

Originally posted by divegeester
Listen troll, stay out of my threads will you. Your idiocy pollutes this forum and disrespects my faith. Go talk to dasa.
Your faith is in the wrong thing if it is in evolution. Evolution isn't
happening, so it will not solve man's problems.

Moves
17 Sep 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
All of creation is devolving not evolving. In the beginning, God created
everything perfect, but how many things do we have that are perfect today?
You make this statement not only without proof or justification, but in the face of mountains of evidence
and theoretical underpinning and the entire scientific community on the other side.

You also have demonstrated many time you don't know what evolution actually means or is.

Given you evidently don't know what it is ANY argument you make on the subject is inherently a straw man
(even if it is unintentionally so) because you are arguing against what you think evolution is not what it
actually is.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Sep 11

Originally posted by Conrau K
Well, I don't think anyone is arguing the point that meat was required for our evolution. The point of contention is whether it is still required.
I believe meat became required for man's survival as a result of the
fall of man resulting in the flood of Noah's day. Man fell (devolved).
Man did not rise (evolve). So after the flood God had to approve
certain animals as food for man due to the situation. There is no
possible way any creature can evolve without the hand of God. God
is allowing all creatures to devolve at present.

Moves
17 Sep 11
1 edit

I believe meat became required for man's survival as a result of the
fall of man resulting in the flood of Noah's day. Man fell (devolved).
Man did not rise (evolve). So after the flood God had to approve
certain animals as food for man due to the situation. There is no
possible way any creature can evolve without the hand of God. God
is allowing all creatures to devolve at present.
PROVE IT!

EDIT: without proof or evidence you are just making stuff up.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Sep 11

Put another way, if a prehistoric Moses had come down the mountain with a stone tablet engraved with a variety of nutritious vegetarian recipes, an unlimited supply of ingredients, a ...[text shortened]... y of those calories, which were more likely to come from carbohydrates, she said.[/quote]
Our so-called higher intelligence today is mainly a result of being taught
recorded knowledge from the past so we don't have to learn it all over
again from scratch. It is not due to any evolution of the brain, but due
to the the adaptation of accumulated knowledge over time. We are
actually devolving and not evolving.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Sep 11

Originally posted by googlefudge
PROVE IT!

EDIT: without proof or evidence you are just making stuff up.
It is in the Holy Bible, the word of truth. I am not making anything up.
It is the evolutionary scientist who have made things up.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
17 Sep 11

Yes, I think it would be roughly in that ball park.
I'll have to get back to you tomorrow as i'm pretty busy today.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
17 Sep 11

Your faith is in the wrong thing if it is in evolution. Evolution isn't
happening, so it will not solve man's problems.
You need to dial it up a bit if you're gonna give dasa-boy a run for his money. He makes you look lame (and that's really saying something).

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
17 Sep 11

I'll have to get back to you tomorrow as i'm pretty busy today.
I'll keep a weather eye open.