Evidence that there is no God

Evidence that there is no God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
From their parents, silly! It's turtles all the way down, don't you know?

😉
🙂

I didn't know that my parents were turtles. It looks like I need some education.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by ahosyney
Your father and your mather is not your creator. They cann't insure your existance and they don't control it.

Did they choose you to come?

And where did the first man and women came from.
They evolved. Duh.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by rwingett
Being an atheist and proving there is no god are not the same thing. One does not need any proof that theistic claims are wrong to be an atheist. So absence of evidence is a perfectly good reason to be an atheist. But absence of evidence, in and of itself, proves absolutely nothing. Contrary to the initial poster's claim, absence of evidence is NOT evidence ...[text shortened]... dominant one at the present time, I daresay the GAFE is a highly relevant and effective tool.
An adage regarding this fallacy from the philosophy of science is that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence": Not having evidence for something is not proof that something is not or cannot be true.

Who's talking about proof? Evidence, not proof. The fallacy is in claiming it's proof, something I never did.

The guy that wrote that in Wikipedia clearly doesn't understand what he's talking about if he muddles proof with evidence.

a

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by Palynka
They evolved. Duh.
I understand that now, they were turtles ones 🙂
But do I have the right to ask you for an evidence for that.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
07 Dec 06

I understand that now, they were turtles ones 🙂
But do I have the right to ask you for an evidence for that.
Fossil Hominids.

Any more questions?

a

Moves
07 Dec 06

Fossil Hominids.

Any more questions?
It doesn't say they were turtles.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
07 Dec 06

It doesn't say they were turtles.
If you don't want to debate, don't. But if you think you're playing me as an idiot, you're barking up the wrong tree, buddy. I'm just sorry you abandon a discussion so quickly.

a

Moves
07 Dec 06

If you don't want to debate, don't. But if you think you're playing me as an idiot, you're barking up the wrong tree, buddy. I'm just sorry you abandon a discussion so quickly.
You are the one who started assuming that I'm an idiot.

I don't want to abandon the discussion. My first question was do you have a scintefical explaination of your existance. And your answer was "my parents" , yes I think I'm trying to play you as an idiot.

Any way even if you can prove evolution (Actually I don't know if there is a prove or not, it is out of my interest and I don't think I should know it) it doens't answer the question.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
07 Dec 06

You are the one who started assuming that I'm an idiot.

I don't want to abandon the discussion. My first question was do you have a scintefical explaination of your existance. And your answer was "my parents" , yes I think I'm trying to play you as an idiot.

Any way even if you can prove evolution (Actually I don't know if there is a prove or not, it ...[text shortened]... s out of my interest and I don't think I should know it) it doens't answer the question.
Yes, I do think you are an idiot. Sorry if it shocks you that I admit it, but it's the truth.

I answered your question. My 'creators' are my parents. My existence is evidence of the existence of God as much as its non-existence.

a

Moves
07 Dec 06
2 edits

Yes, I do think you are an idiot. Sorry if it shocks you that I admit it, but it's the truth.

I answered your question. My 'creators' are my parents. My existence is evidence of the existence of God as much as its non-existence.
Thank you, it is good to see how others see you.

I'm sorry for wasting your time.

But I don't think you don't understand what creator mean. do any couples say we created our child. Or may be I'm the one who don't understand.

Any way it doesn't make a difference.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
07 Dec 06

[b]An adage regarding this fallacy from the philosophy of science is that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence": Not having evidence for something is not proof that something is not or cannot be true.

Who's talking about proof? Evidence, not proof. The fallacy is in claiming it's proof, something I never did.

The guy that wrote that in ...[text shortened]... edia clearly doesn't understand what he's talking about if he muddles proof with evidence.[/b]
Absence of evidence is just that, an absence of evidence, in this case for theistic claims. It is not evidence FOR anything, i.e. the claim that there is no god. All the absence of evidence can do is demonstrate that the theistic claims are unworthy of belief. It does nothing at all to prove them false, nor does it act as "evidence" in that direction, except in the very weakest sense.

Since this thread is titled "evidence that there is no god", twhitehead is using 'absence of evidence' as evidence for the claim that there is no god. And he is presumably declaring it to be sufficient to the task. It is not, nor will it ever be. In and of itself, absence of evidence is not evidence of anything. It may be of minor service when used in conjunction with the GAFE, or other attacks on theism, but on its own it is of very little value. It certainly ranks very low on the scale of possible attacks one could make on theism.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
Absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
This is a false statement.

If I do a small drug experiment and find no evidence of harm in the treated population, that does not mean that the drug does no harm. All it means is that I have failed to detect any harm.

Cape Town

Moves
08 Dec 06

Originally posted by spruce112358
This is a false statement.

If I do a small drug experiment and find no evidence of harm in the treated population, that does not mean that the drug does no harm. All it means is that I have failed to detect any harm.
Go back and read the original post. I specifically stated that there are cases where it is true and cases where it isn't. Examples that demonstrate a statement to be false in one case does not prove the statement to be false for all cases.

Cape Town

Moves
08 Dec 06
2 edits

Originally posted by rwingett
Absence of evidence is just that, an absence of evidence, in this case for theistic claims. It is not evidence FOR anything, i.e. the claim that there is no god. All the absence of evidence can do is demonstrate that the theistic claims are unworthy of belief. It does nothing at all to prove them false, nor does it act as "evidence" in that direction, excep ue. It certainly ranks very low on the scale of possible attacks one could make on theism.
I notice you have not capitalized the word "God". You do know the difference I hope.
If you have evidence that there are no dogs in the room then it is evidence that a dog does not exist in the room. If I have evidence that God has not communicated with me then it is evidence that a God who communicates with every living person does not exist.
I take your argument as using a strawman. I never said that no possible god can exist. I said that a God with specific attributes can exist. You also cant claim that because one supernatural being might exist then all possible supernatural beings might exist.

Cape Town

Moves
08 Dec 06

Although a number of people have implied that I stated that my absence of evidence claim is my only piece of evidence, that is not the case. I clearly stated in the first post "I will start with".
My next piece is: Age of the earth.
Although this is not evidence for the non-existence of the God that the majority of theists believe in, it is evidence that the God that creationists (a fairly large proportion of theists) believe in.
There is a significant amount of evidence that the earth (and the universe) is extremely old, lets just say over 4 billion years. This leads me to the conclusion that the earth is old and the creationist God cannot exist.