Evaluations Sermon Round #3

Evaluations Sermon Round #3

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Jul 07
1 edit

Skipper
1) 4, a twist on the fire and brimstone theme, self-imposed rather than at God's hand
2) 3, creative scripture use
3) 3, seems fair to me
4) 4, very personal and confessional
5) 4, a truly compelling warning

Total: 18

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Jul 07

Hand of Hecate

Now we're getting somewhere. This is exactly the sort of sermon I had in mind when suggesting the topic. This scores a full 20, perfect in every aspect. This sermon is clearly my pick for this week's winner. Well done.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Jul 07

Pawnhandler

I don't think pawnhandler attempted to fulfill this week's theme. Frankly, a sermon of such disregard doesn't even warrant further evaluations from me. Submit it again if ever there is a topic on "How to put your neighbor above your religion." This week was supposed to be about putting your religion first.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Jul 07

Vistesd

Another contestant who didn't quite understand the topic. This week's sermon was supposed to demonstrate the compelling power of fear, not to discount it. It might be a fine sermon for some other topic like "The Silliness of Dogma", but it didn't do anything to scare me.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Jul 07
1 edit

Josephw

1) 3, pretty good, although had you picked you as the favorite this week and was expecting something more forceful
2) 3, nice application of verses about torment and flames
3) 3, displays a good understanding of the author's intent
4) 3, confessional enough, I suppose
5) 3, good use of violence and fear. More archaic English as I suggested elsewhere would have been something special.

Total: 15

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
01 Jul 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Pawnhandler

I don't think pawnhandler attempted to fulfill this week's theme. Frankly, a sermon of such disregard doesn't even warrant further evaluations from me. Submit it again if ever there is a topic on "How to put your neighbor above your religion." This week was supposed to be about putting your religion first.
Ahh, then I wasn't clear. My bad. Mine was about putting your religion into action. If there is no action, then you have no religion. The fire and brimstone sermons I've heard have been this sort -- get off your butts and get busy. Oh, well. Cultural difference.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Jul 07
2 edits

Originally posted by pawnhandler
Ahh, then I wasn't clear. My bad. Mine was about putting your religion into action. If there is no action, then you have no religion. The fire and brimstone sermons I've heard have been this sort -- get off your butts and get busy. Oh, well. Cultural difference.
I suppose. In the Bible Belt, they are literally about the scorching flames in which you'll bathe in the lake of fire, and the overpowering stench of sulpher that awaits all who stray from the path of righteousness. See Hand's sermon for an example. To the extent that a fire and brimstone sermon is about getting off your butt and doing something, it's about getting off your butt and heading straight to the river to get baptized.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
01 Jul 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
I suppose. In the Bible Belt, they are literally about the scorching flames in which you'll bathe in the lake of fire, and the overpowering stench of sulpher that awaits all who stray from the path of righteousness. See Hand's sermon for an example. To the extent that a fire and brimstone sermon is about getting off your butt and doing something, it's about getting off your butt and heading straight to the river to get baptized.
I loved Hand's, actually. Ah, see, I'm not a Baptist or evangelical sort so I've not been to one of those. Then again, I probably would've just gotten annoyed and chosen hell. Thanks for the education, though. It helps me see what you were looking for.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
02 Jul 07

Originally posted by pawnhandler
I'm in the same boat as you.

And to think that I do live in the "Bible Belt."

Although, the church I attend is like a polar bear in Guatamala, so I have only heard about such infamous volcanic sermons.

M

Moves
02 Jul 07

Sorry to keep you all waiting. Following are my critiques:

M

Moves
02 Jul 07

Wittywonka
1. You stayed on topic.
2. I thought you did well in the creativity part of it. You used the parable of the fig tree to scare people out of procrastination. I like that you illustrated that old cliché about the road to hell being paved with good intentions without actually saying it.
3. You certainly kept with the integrity of the passage.
4. Much better use of personal experience than in your last entry. Excellent job here.
5. Your writing is persuasive but it’s not “Fire and brimstone”. You approach it at times with words like “…will simply be cut down like a worthless, barren tree! Why should you take up space on this world doing sinful, wicked things?” but it’s not a consistent tone throughout. It’s tough though and not a style that everyone is comfortable with. On the other hand, the repetition of “not a single drop of ink” was very effective. This could be a winning sermon in different round.

M

Moves
02 Jul 07

Whodey
1. You stayed on topic.
2. I felt this was a creative use of scripture simply because one’s mind wouldn’t turn immediately to a minor story about some obscure servant of King David. Good choice here.
3. You kept with the integrity of the passage.
4. Except for a couple of sentences in the last paragraph, there was no confessional aspect here. In your case though, I find I don’t miss it. You have a tendency to ask rhetorical questions and you use inclusive personal pronouns (“we” and “us&rdquo😉 to draw in your audience and make them feel involved.
5. Again, there is little “Fire and Brimstone” in the delivery. The intention is there as you make clear your message of “disobey and die” your sermon gives a story and you are careful to explain the history and context. That is terrific and effective but not quite what this round was looking for. However, overall, I see you working harder to edify and concentrating less on being entertaining. You are definitely moving in the right direction.

M

Moves
02 Jul 07

TheSkipper
1. You stayed on topic.
2. Highly creative use and interpretation of scripture.
3. While some would dispute your interpretation, I saw that you kept the integrity of the passage.
4. The strongest point of this sermon is the confessional quality – particularly the “…I'm no better at being an atheist than I was at being a Christian.” That makes one want to weep at the truth and human-ness in that statement.
5. A persuasive sermon for those susceptible to a little reverse psychology. You tipped your hand a little with the “head in the sand” and the “true bliss of ignorance” bits though. You take the POV of the someone already in hell which makes a good basis for an F&B sermon.

M

Moves
02 Jul 07

Hand of Hecate
1. You stayed on topic.
2. A creative and inspiring sermon.
3. You kept with the integrity of the passage.
4. There is a nod to a confessional tone in the first paragraph. However, I don’t think that the most important part of an F&B sermon.
5. Now this is what Fire and Brimstone is all about! Your sermon is totally “good cop/bad cop”. First you wither us with graphic descriptions of torment and when we’re just about ready to assume a fetal position, sucking out thumbs in the corner, you lay out the exit strategy. Only a fool wouldn’t run headlong through the door you open. You have a way with words and an excessive fondness for ellipses. Lose the latter. But very well done, overall. (Oh, and your smiley art was nice but you’re no SJ. No extra points for that).

M

Moves
02 Jul 07

Pawnhandler
1. You stayed on topic.
2. Your use of scripture was effective but not particularly creative.
3. You kept the integrity of the passage.
4. This sermon lacked the confessional aspect that made your other entries so moving. Again, this is not the big deal in this type of sermon that it is in others. I would rather see that criterion skipped than be forced in. As it is, you use rhetorical questions to bring your audience to you instead of using personal stories to bring yourself to your audience. Both methods have their place.
5. This is a persuasive sermon but not a fire and brimstone sermon. You use stronger language than in your past sermons but I get the sense that this just isn’t your niche.