1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 May '14 16:16
    Trying to embarrass someone with no sense of shame is like trying to punch someone with no pain receptors until it hurts.

The puncher collapses in a sweaty, exhausted heap. The punch-ee (sue me, I'm using it) grins and asks, "Had enough?"
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 May '14 16:17
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Trying to embarrass someone with no sense of shame is like trying to punch someone with no pain receptors until it hurts.

The puncher collapses in a sweaty, exhausted heap. The punch-ee (sue me, I'm using it) grins and asks, "Had enough?"
    And that's just the ENGAGEMENT?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '14 16:18

rope a dope
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 May '14 16:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And that's just the ENGAGEMENT?
    The word after 'engagement' brings enlightenment.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 May '14 16:27
    Originally posted by redbarons
    rope a dope
    Except in this format, the puncher gets to rest up and try again day after day. Funny thing is, they keep coming back.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 May '14 17:15

Another thread about stupid Christians [like me] or are you referring to something else?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 May '14 18:24

"Trying to embarrass"? Who is "trying to embarrass" you? Do you mean Christians? I see no evidence of that. What I do see is the atheists "trying to embarrass" the Christians, by asking nonsense questions. With similar results, by the way.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '14 20:01
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    "Trying to embarrass"? Who is "trying to embarrass" you? Do you mean Christians? I see no evidence of that. What I do see is the atheists "trying to embarrass" the Christians, by asking nonsense questions. With similar results, by the way.
    suzie I know you
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 May '14 20:552 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Another thread about stupid Christians [like me] or are you referring to something else?
    There have been some good examples in this forum, but I am thinking more in general terms. I think most of us have been in long arguments with certain people (whether here, or on other sites, or in person), and come to the conclusion that, no matter how brilliantly we may make a point, it is not going to have the slightest effect on them.

And yet we keep arguing with them.

[I am not saying we agree on who the unswayable people are. I am sure everyone has their own unique list. This is not an attempt to get people to pile on to a 'yeah! X is completely unreasonable!' bandwagon. It is more a question of why one argues with people that they have assessed as totally unreasonable.]
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 May '14 21:03

Some call it resilience.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 May '14 21:08
    There have been some good examples in this forum, but I am thinking more in general terms. I think most of us have been in long arguments with certain people (whether here, or on other sites, or in person), and come to the conclusion that, no matter how brilliantly we may make a point, it is not going to have the slightest effect on them.

And yet w ...[text shortened]... more a question of why one argues with people that they have assessed as totally unreasonable.]
    "It is more a question of why one argues with people that they have assessed as totally unreasonable."

Boredom?
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 May '14 21:13

And yet w ...[text shortened]... more a question of why one argues with people that they have assessed as totally unreasonable.]
    ...no matter how brilliantly we may make a point...
    I think I found your problem.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 May '14 21:39
    Originally posted by JS357
    "It is more a question of why one argues with people that they have assessed as totally unreasonable."

Boredom?
    "Boredom", dissatisfaction, angst and ennui....
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 May '14 22:28
    Originally posted by JS357

Boredom?
    Sure.

Or the lack of realization that they are in this situation.

Or a vain hope that they will be the one to finally wake the person up.

Or ...
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 May '14 22:29
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]...no matter how brilliantly we may make a point...
    I think I found your problem.[/b]
    You probably feel the same way about certain other people you debate. Right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree