1. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 22:51
    @very-rusty said
    Do you really believe that, or just the FACT that you know you will eventually pass on. ๐Ÿ™‚

-VR
    Do I really believe what? That world goes on without me? Or that most species will be better off when humans are gone?
  2. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 23:00
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    In 1876, Charles Russell, founder of the Jehovah's Witnesses, predicted that Christ would return in 1914. Since that prophecy failed, the society has predicted at least seven other dates when Armageddon would occur.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses also quietly abandoned a prediction that people alive in 1914 would live to see Christ’s kingdom on Earth--a major doctrine tha ...[text shortened]... lent urgency to the sect’s door-to-door warnings that a bloody end of the world is imminent.

Wiki
    A bit of a theme running though tonight.

A quote from Wiki means nothing dear boy, as anybody can put what thy like on there.

Tell us what was actually said or at least give the full address of the web page that you are drawing this from.

Incidentally, so there is no ambiguity (we don't want any of that), I would say that he was probably right. But let's get the exact quote and then we can go from there.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 00:33
    @medullah said

A quote from Wiki means nothing dear boy, as anybody can put what thy like on there.

Tell us what was actually said or at least give the full address of the web page that you are drawing this from.

Incidentally, so there is no ambiguity (we don't want any of that), I would say that he was probably right. But let's get the exact quote and then we can go from there.
    Are you sayihg that Russell was right that Jesus returned in 1914?
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 08:07
    @medullah said

The Wiki link was an easy grab. The whole 1914 thing is well documented and can be validated easily from many (many) other sources.

The world didn't end in 1914 and the JWs have been squirming ever since.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 08:12
    @rajk999 said
    Despite telling their followers not to bother going to college etc around 1914, due to Jesus's imminent return, they later made the weak claim Jesus actually just ruled in heaven since 1914 and later still that this prediction (of his return to Earth) was not a prediction at all, just a speculation.

Such is the fate of a doomsday cult.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 11:24
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Despite telling their followers not to bother going to college etc around 1914, due to Jesus's imminent return, they later made the weak claim Jesus actually just ruled in heaven since 1914 and later still that this prediction (of his return to Earth) was not a prediction at all, just a speculation.

'He's here now; he's waiting for the right moment to reveal himself.'

๐Ÿ˜†
  7. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 13:53
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    The Wiki link was an easy grab. The whole 1914 thing is well documented and can be validated easily from many (many) other sources.

The world didn't end in 1914 and the JWs have been squirming ever since.
    Excellent, with so many many sources at your disposal it should be easy for you to reference one if you'd be so kind?
  8. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 13:56
    @rajk999 said
    Show me the quote then we can have the discussion, otherwise it's all hearsay.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 14:092 edits
    @medullah said
    Excellent, with so many many sources at your disposal it should be easy for you to reference one if you'd be so kind?
    Just to be clear, you think it is erroneous to suggest that the JW's predicted that Jesus would return in 1914? I honestly thought this was something in the public domain that nobody disputed, including Jehovah Witnesses. - Indeed this can be found in 'Three Worlds, and the Harvest of This World' written by Russell and Barbour jointly. (And also I believe in Russell's 'The Photo-Drama of Creation' - although have never watched it personally).

Or if you prefer:

"But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble." - Zion's Watch Tower 1894 Jul 15 p.226

Edit: It you require a further interesting link, try here:

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/failed-1914-predictions.php
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 14:13
    Are you two having fun yet? ๐Ÿ™‚

-VR
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 14:261 edit
    @medullah said
    Show me the quote then we can have the discussion, otherwise it's all hearsay.
    Here is the information from the Watchtower Online Library
    https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1984241
    The original information which was published back in 1987 was modified and this article was from 1984.

Here we have an analysis of the differences between what the Watchtower actually said prior to 1914 and what they claimed to have said.

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/failed-1914-predictions.php

What Watchtower said prior to 1914
    - "The year A.D. 1878 … clearly marks the time for the actual assuming of power as King of kings, by our present, spiritual, invisible Lord - …" The Time is At Hand (1911 ed) p.239
    - "But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble. Zion's Watch Tower 1894 Jul 15 p.226

What Watchtower claims it said prior to 1914
    - "The Watchtower has consistently presented evidence to honesthearted students of Bible prophecy that Jesus’ presence in heavenly Kingdom power began in 1914." Watchtower 1993 Jan 15 p.5
    - "Jehovah's witnesses pointed to the year 1914, decades in advance, as marking the start of "the conclusion of the system of things." Awake! 1973 Jan 22 p.8

The contradictory statements above help identify two critical facts:
    - Watchtower falsely predicted this system would end in 1914
    - Watchtower is not entirely honest about its history
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 14:29
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Not just lame, they are liars. Had they been honest they would just come out and say "we made a blunder .. sorry"
  13. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 15:36
    They clearly were wrong then if they claimed it would all be over in 1914, was over egged. My understanding was that they knew that something big was going to happen they clearly called it wrong.

Difficult to pass comment on something 110 years ago.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 17:44
    @medullah said
    They clearly were wrong then if they claimed it would all be over in 1914, was over egged. My understanding was that they knew that something big was going to happen they clearly called it wrong.

Difficult to pass comment on something 110 years ago.
    Actually it is very easy to comment intelligently if the information is reliable and available. I posted quotes from the Watchtower before 1914 and after. Its all available.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree