Elisha and the Bears

Elisha and the Bears

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
27 May 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
I do not read all of No1's posts anymore.
You don't need to. Just pick any one.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
27 May 05

Originally posted by kirksey957
What about that passage did you want to debate in a serious way?

What I said may seem callous to you , but I can assure you that God's wolfpack tendencies are nothing to be cavelier about. I simply said that perhaps God has some wolfpack tendencies. Why are you focusing on me instead of #1 who has clearly articulated this more vehemently than me?
Kirk: "What about that passage did you want to debate in a serious way? "

-Do you have any serious ideas about how to interprete the "Elisha and the Bears" story ?
-How do you interprete the fact that the story tells us about she-bears and not just about bears ?

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
27 May 05

-Do you have any serious ideas about how to interprete the "Elisha and the Bears" story ?
-How do you interprete the fact that the story tells us about she-bears and not just about bears ?

Why 42 children, dammit! There has to be a reason!

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
27 May 05

Originally posted by kirksey957
You don't need to. Just pick any one.

I want to adress you and not no1 since you present yourself as a Southern Baptist minister on this site.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 May 05

I want to adress you and not no1 since you present yourself as a Southern Baptist minister on this site.
I can vouch for his credentials.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
27 May 05

Originally posted by bbarr
Why 42 children rather than some other number? Normally the numbers used in the OT have metaphorical significance.
You're right. I wish I knew. I haven't found any commentaries on the number.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
27 May 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Since when?

If you are interested then please open a new thread on this issue, Dear Doctor, and maybe I will join you there and we can babble about this.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
27 May 05

Find it Bbarr ! You are such an advocate of investigating things. I'm sure you will come up with something stupid enough to post in this thread.

Hóóóóóóóóóówl .........

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
27 May 05

Look, Mista Logic, there ain't a reason fo a lotta stuff goin down in the name of God. Ax Mr. Job.

OK, you want an answer. Tha numba 7 is the biblical numba fo perfection. Take the numba 42 and add yo integers (4+2) and I do believe that that would equal 6, one short of perfection. So maybe the Almighty is sayin "OK< I'm givin you all fundamentalists out there a hidden sign that I am a litta less than perfect. Have a nice day."

How will that do fo ya?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
27 May 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Coletti
You're right. I wish I knew. I haven't found any commentaries on the number.

Have you tried the Jewish comments ? Bbarr would love to know. He can make fun of it in his usual condescending way when he hears about those.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
27 May 05

I do not know the answer, however there is an interesting book out there by Jonathon Kirsch ( a Jewsih author) who has written a book enittled The Harlot by the Sid eof the Road" and he takes on very difficult passages from a scholarly and historic basis. I have only read parts of it, but I have participated in an x-rated bible study at a near by Episcopal church and this book was used.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
27 May 05

Why 42 children rather than some other number? Normally the numbers used in the OT have metaphorical significance.
(Exo 26:2 HCSB)
The length of each curtain should be 42 feet, and the width of each curtain six feet; all the curtains are to have the same measurements.

(Exo 36:9 HCSB)
The length of each curtain was 42 feet, and the width of each curtain six feet; all the curtains had the same measurements.

(Num 35:6 HCSB)
"The cities you give the Levites will include six cities of refuge, which you must provide so that the one who kills someone may flee there; in addition to these, give 42 other cities.

(Jdg 12:6 HCSB)
they told him, "Please say Shibboleth." If he said, "Sibboleth," because he could not pronounce it correctly, they seized him and killed him at the fords of the Jordan. At that time, 42,000 from Ephraim died.

(1Sa 13:1 HCSB)
Saul was 30 years old when he became king, and he reigned 42 years over Israel.

(2Ki 2:24 HCSB)
He turned around, looked at them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and mauled 42 of the youths.

(2Ki 10:14 HCSB)
Then Jehu ordered, "Take them alive." So they took them alive and then slaughtered them at the pit of Beth-eked--42 men. He didn't spare any of them.

(Ezr 2:24 HCSB)
Azmaveth's people 42

(Neh 7:28 HCSB)
Beth-azmaveth's men 42

(Rev 11:2 HCSB)
But exclude the courtyard outside the sanctuary. Don't measure it, because it is given to the nations, and they will trample the holy city for 42 months.

(Rev 13:5 HCSB)
A mouth was given to him to speak boasts and blasphemies. He was also given authority to act for 42 months.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
27 May 05

Originally posted by Coletti
(Exo 26:2 HCSB)
The length of each curtain should be 42 feet, and the width of each curtain six feet; all the curtains are to have the same measurements.

(Exo 36:9 HCSB)
The length of each curtain was 42 feet, and the width of each curtain six feet; all the curtains had the same measurements.

(Num 35:6 HCSB)
"The cities you give the Levites ...[text shortened]... o him to speak boasts and blasphemies. He was also given authority to act for 42 months.
I like my answer better. 🙂

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
27 May 05

-Why she-bears and not just bears ?
Maybe this aspect points us in the direction of a correct interpretation.
I did find other references to bears - in particular - a female bears robbed of her cubs is used to describe fury.

(Hos 13:8 ESV)
I will fall upon them like a bear robbed of her cubs; I will tear open their breast, and there I will devour them like a lion, as a wild beast would rip them open.

and another very interesting verse:

(Pro 17:12 ESV)
Let a man meet a she-bear robbed of her cubs rather than a fool in his folly.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
27 May 05

-Why she-bears and not just bears ?
Maybe this aspect points us in the direction of a correct interpretation.
Wouldn't any rational explaination about mother bears being far more likely to attack people if their cubs were around than male bears would, lead to a possible conclusion that , if indeed the event happened, Elisha misread the bears "intent" and attributed if to God's intervening on his behalf. Doesn't help the "inerrancy of the bible" or the "revealed word" point of views.
It's not no1 or me that says God had bears or Joshua army kill children, it's the bible that says that, all we are doing is pointing out how ungodly the bible shows the god of the isrealites is.
If how the bible portrays god conflicts with your concept of God, well , welcome to the club.