Either Truth is Truth...

Either Truth is Truth...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
08 Jul 16

Originally posted by josephw
Tautologies

logic a statement that is true by necessity or by virtue of its logical form.

Either truth is truth or it's not. Perfectly logical. No?
"This statement is not true."

What status do you give to the liar paradox then?

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
08 Jul 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
What would it even mean to 'posses' a truth? I guess you could name your cat 'truth', but even then, I suspect that cats posses us not the other way around.
If you mean 'know the truth about something' then surely you contradicted yourself by first stating that you did think you know the truth about something.
If you mean know the whole truth and nothing but the truth, then you are coming dangerously close to 42.
I was reluctant to say 'absolute' or whole truth, in case Fetchmyjunk happened upon this thread.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
08 Jul 16

Originally posted by sonship
[b] Where do we go from there? You are convinced you have the truth, but I match your conviction.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen this boast before. i don't think I have seen it demonstrated.

I don't think you can match the conviction of a Christian. The know ...[text shortened]... restless churning of the sea. There was no rest.

There is rest in receiving Christ as Lord.[/b]
If God exists, the conviction of a Christian may indeed be greater than that of an atheist. However, if God does not exist (and from my viewpoint he doesn't) then it is merely the conviction of one human being against another. On that level, I am happy to demonstrate that I match the conviction of any theist.

Cape Town

Moves
08 Jul 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
I was reluctant to say 'absolute' or whole truth, in case Fetchmyjunk happened upon this thread.
I would argue that knowing the 'whole truth' would result in a paradox. You would need to know the whole state of the universe, thus requiring a larger brain than the universe. Then you would need to know the state of your own brain, requiring a brain larger than your brain - oops.

Moves
08 Jul 16

Well, either it's true or it's not, right? 😉
Can you name something which isn't either true or not?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Jul 16

...or it's not.

Right?
Right! Spot on.
The problem is articulating it.
I once heard Truth needs no defense. I think it will eventually just overcome all obstacles.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
08 Jul 16

Have you never heard of half-truths?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-truth
oR TRUISMS
?

r

Moves
08 Jul 16

Well, either it's true or it's not, right? 😉
Is psalms 91:7,8 true or not true?

Hmmm . . .

Moves
09 Jul 16
1 edit

Either a bagel is a bagel or it isn’t. If it isn’t, then it probably wasn’t to begin with. And can we then blame the baker?

But if a bagel isn’t a bagel, then whatever—oh, whatever what—can be said about a biscuit or a bun?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
09 Jul 16
1 edit

We entertain opposite 'truths'. It is a truth for you that God exists. It's a truth for me that he doesn't.

Where do we go from there? You are convinced you have the truth, but I match your conviction. All we have is our own understanding of truth, based on information that has persuaded us either way.

So yes, truth is truth, but there is no wa ...[text shortened]... e of us has glimpsed it. (And I say 'glimpse' as I'm pretty certain neither of us possesses it).
If I believe there's a worm in an apple and you believe there isn't, it's not possible for both of our beliefs to be true at the same time. Either there is a worm in the apple or there isn't. Either you are right or I am. We can't both be right.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
09 Jul 16

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Either tautologies are tautologies, or they are not. Right? 🙄
How did you conclude that truth = tautology?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
09 Jul 16
1 edit

No, not logical. Truth cannot sensibly be said to be 'not truth' whilst simultaneously not also being said to be 'truth'. So at a minimum truth is truth - which is a tautology. More accurately you could have said truth is truth or truth and not truth.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
09 Jul 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
If I believe there's a worm in an apple and you believe there isn't, it's not possible for both of our beliefs to be true at the same time. Either there is a worm in the apple or there isn't. Either you are right or I am. We can't both be right.
I didn't say both were right. I said we each had our own understanding of truth.

There may be a worm in the apple, there might not be, but unless the worm shows itself who knows.

You might even have eaten the worm!!!

Cape Town

Moves
09 Jul 16

There may be a worm in the apple, there might not be, but unless the worm shows itself who knows.

You might even have eaten the worm!!!
Or there may be no apple.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
09 Jul 16

Tautologies

logic a statement that is true by necessity or by virtue of its logical form.

Either truth is truth or it's not. Perfectly logical. No?
Logically sound, but vacuous.