1. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 08:34
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I would have thought you knew what to look for if you could tell me
    there isn't any evidence for design.
    Kelly
    Irriducable complexity. Gods name written in DNA would probably be fine too.

If something isn't there how are we to have any hope of finding it? There is nothing in DNA that we look at and say, that could not possible be there if it wasn't put there. So why postulate a designer?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 11:35
    Originally posted by Jake Ellison
    Irriducable complexity. Gods name written in DNA would probably be fine too.

If something isn't there how are we to have any hope of finding it? There is nothing in DNA that we look at and say, that could not possible be there if it wasn't put there. So why postulate a designer?
    That is the 'matter of opinion' I'd like you to show me something as
    complax as DNA get written without a plan, purpose, or design invovled.
    Our computer hardware/software isn't as complex and there are huges
    teams involved in writing the code and designing the hardware.
    Kelly
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 12:25
    Kelly
    Please define complax.

If you meant "complex" then tell me which of the following from Marriam Webster you are referring to:
    1: a whole made up of complicated or interrelated parts
    2 a: a group of culture traits relating to a single activity (as hunting), process (as use of flint), or culture unit
    b (1): a group of repressed desires and memories that exerts a dominating influence upon the personality (2): an exaggerated reaction to or preoccupation with a subject or situation
    c: a group of obviously related units of which the degree and nature of the relationship is imperfectly known
    d: the sum of factors (as symptoms) characterizing a disease or condition
    3: a chemical association of two or more species (as ions or molecules) joined usually by weak electrostatic bonds rather than covalent bonds
    4: a building or group of buildings housing related units

or present a definition from a dictionary of your choice.
  4. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 13:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Please define complax.

If you meant "complex" then tell me which of the following from Marriam Webster you are referring to:
    1: a whole made up of complicated or interrelated parts
    2 a: a group of culture traits relating to a single activity (as hunting), process (as use of flint), or culture unit
    b (1): a group of repressed desires and memories t ...[text shortened]... buildings housing related units

or present a definition from a dictionary of your choice.
    I would naturally assume that Kelly means the first definition since none of the others even remotely fits the context.

Lets try not to dodge the question, that's the creationist approach. Instead we either need to answer the question or explain why it is not relevant. I'm wondering whether fractals or weather systems are suitable answers?

--- Penguin.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 13:31
    Originally posted by Penguin
    I would naturally assume that Kelly means the first definition since none of the others even remotely fits the context.

Lets try not to dodge the question, that's the creationist approach. Instead we either need to answer the question or explain why it is not relevant. I'm wondering whether fractals or weather systems are suitable answers?

--- Penguin.
    If he means 1. a whole made up of complicated or interrelated parts. then I would ask "How is it to be measured?" since his question related to the relative complexity of two possible entities.
    I would argue that a jar of mud is just as 'complex' as DNA and answers his question satisfactorily.
  6. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 14:12
    Kelly
    Yes but we have the perfect mechanism for the increaseing complexity of DNA. Natural selection. And I can give you an example of how random mutation with non random selection can lead to improvements and increased 'complexity.' I was at a lecture on evolution and creationism, and the lecturer told us of a particular type of spray painting using a funnel. The funnel was not efficient, and wasted energy. After attempting to redesign it the engineres desided to 'evolve it.' They used a computer to make random alterations in the funnel shape, and then selected the best of the new designs and repeated the process. The end result was a shape that no one would have come up with, it was fairly abstract with no apparent reasons why it should be more efficient. The process of selection in evolution works in exactly the same way, with likelyhood of a mutation increasing survival being the important factor.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 15:24
    Yes but we have the perfect mechanism for the increaseing complexity of DNA. Natural selection. And I can give you an example of how random mutation with non random selection can lead to improvements and increased 'complexity.' I was at a lecture on evolution and creationism, and the lecturer told us of a particular type of spray painting using a funnel ...[text shortened]... the same way, with likelyhood of a mutation increasing survival being the important factor.
    Natural selection is a good filter, but the writing of code no.
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 15:52
    Kelly
    Roll dice.

Pick up all the 1's.

Roll dice.

Pick up all the 1's.

Roll dice.

Pick up all the 1's.

WOW! There are NO 1's! Must be Divine Intervention!
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 15:58
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Roll dice.

Pick up all the 1's.

Roll dice.

Pick up all the 1's.

Roll dice.

Pick up all the 1's.

WOW! There are NO 1's! Must be Divine Intervention!
    You had a point?
    Kelly
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 16:02
    You had a point?
    Kelly
    Yes. A random process plus a filter creates "code" when the "numbers" each have different chemical properties.
  11. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 16:20
    Kelly
    That is correct. Mutations 'write' the code. Natural section allows the superior code to be passed on, and the inferior code to be removed. It isn't one on its own. It is random mutations with non random natural selection. The concept is seriously very simple.
  12. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 16:20
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Yes. A random process plus a filter creates "code" when the "numbers" each have different chemical properties.
    Oh sorry you said pretty much the same thing.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 17:41
    That is correct. Mutations 'write' the code. Natural section allows the superior code to be passed on, and the inferior code to be removed. It isn't one on its own. It is random mutations with non random natural selection. The concept is seriously very simple.
    I know that is the theory, we can see small changes but nothing on
    the scale we were talking about.
    Kelly
  14. Joined
    16 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 17:48
    Kelly
    No, see, they're pretty much all small changes. But a lot of small changes, over millions of years, can become pretty significant. What part of that is so hard to understand?
  15. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 17:49
    Kelly
    Our perception is limited by the timescale involved. Combining DNA evidence and fossil evidence we can say that evolution most probably occured. DNA analysis shows us how related we are related to other animals and allows us to build up species trees. These give an idea of when speices diverged from one another.

Think about a small change. A very large number of small changes equals a large change. It just takes a long time. But it isn't to hard to see that the addition of small steps could have resulted in speciation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree