1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 00:04
    Does God know what decisions he will make in the future, and how he will decide?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 01:40
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Does God know what decisions he will make in the future, and how he will decide?
    The Christian God is supposed to be eternal and above and outside the dimension of time. He does not have a future.

Although I consider the proposition that any being could act outside of time to be meaningless.
  3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 02:41
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    The Christian God is supposed to be eternal and above and outside the dimension of time. He does not have a future.

Although I consider the proposition that any being could act outside of time to be meaningless.
    how so?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 03:40
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    how so?
    I am not sure how one can act within time, yet be totally outside time. In fact, I am not sure how anything can act outside of time because an act is time-dependent. But I have not given this much thought.
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 03:511 edit
    Yup. In fact he has already made all of the decisions ever.

In three years he will stub his toe on the rock he created that he can't lift.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 09:45
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Yup. In fact he has already made all of the decisions ever.

In three years he will stub his toe on the rock he created that he can't lift.
    And then curse himself for making the stupid thing in the first place. It will be his true nemesis, eclipsing Satan.
  7. England
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 16:08
    god knows as the prophets and books like revalations reveal, but inderviduals act are for him to watch over, you have the choice to steal or give, but like when you pray before you pray god knows what is in your heart. but like the exidous, god knew it would take till the death of the first born to let them go. but in the journey was annoyed to find them worshiping a golden image.
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 17:37
    Originally posted by stoker
    god knows as the prophets and books like revalations reveal, but inderviduals act are for him to watch over, you have the choice to steal or give, but like when you pray before you pray god knows what is in your heart. but like the exidous, god knew it would take till the death of the first born to let them go. but in the journey was annoyed to find them worshiping a golden image.
    try answering the question actually asked, and not the one you'd prefer.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 20:04
    You should get to know God, then you wouldn't have to ask.
  10. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 20:171 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K

Why is some timeless dimension always considered so impossible or freaky? Many on this forum talk about time being merely a dimension of the universe , nothing more or less than that. Maybe time is is just something that exists in our universe. Who knows what dimensions also exist in life.

It's only because we live in time (causal sequenced events) that we find the whole thing so hard to imagine.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 22:332 edits
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Why is some timeless dimension always considered so impossible or freaky? Many on this forum talk about time being merely a dimension of the universe , nothing more or less than that. Maybe time is is just something that exists in our universe. Who knows what dimensions also exist in life.

It's only because we live in time (causal sequenced events) that we find the whole thing so hard to imagine.
    Perhaps because our whole language is structured around time any description of God therefore becomes meaningless. For example, the gerund "being" denotes the present-participal of "to be"; to say God is a "Being" is to attribute a sense of time (that God is being); therefore, the very act of being linguistically necessitates time. God cannot be outside of time, because to be involves time.

Furthermore, to exist is a time-dependent act. Therefore, to exist outside of time is a contradiction. For God to exist outside of time would entail a feat in which He both is outside of time yet relies on time.

I therefore see the idea of God as a being outside time as meaningless. If such a God does exist, then any language will be unable to formulate any description of what that being constitutes.

EDIT: Just to elaborate for the point of clarity: say the question is asked "Does God exist?" This question is the linguististic equivalent of "Is God existing?" Now, the participal "existing" is continuous (it means that if God is existing, he was existing then, and is existing now.) However, as God is beyond time, he is therefore not existing (because there is no distinction between then and now. There is no perception of continuousness). The whole subject of God then collapses into an absurdity if we discuss God as outside of time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree