does god know it all...?

does god know it all...?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Feb 08
1 edit

Originally posted by knightmeister
Christians do.
I doubt it. I even doubt that you do. Maybe you could elaborate, what was he trying to say? Then maybe we can get his version and compare the two?

Cape Town

Moves
13 Feb 08

whoah! Are you omniscient?
Straw man. One does not need omniscience to know something.

I don't really know how to respond to this. It's so obvious that Chrsitianity proposes an eternal God. You'll be saying next that Christians don't believe Jesus existed!!!
It may be obvious to you, but I doubt if it is obvious to all Christians. Note that I did specify that I was talking about your specific concept of eternity, which nobody but you seems to understand anyway. And yes, some Christians don't believe Jesus existed.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
13 Feb 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
Straw man. One does not need omniscience to know something.

[b]I don't really know how to respond to this. It's so obvious that Chrsitianity proposes an eternal God. You'll be saying next that Christians don't believe Jesus existed!!!

It may be obvious to you, but I doubt if it is obvious to all Christians. Note that I did specify that I was talki ...[text shortened]... y but you seems to understand anyway. And yes, some Christians don't believe Jesus existed.[/b]
And yes, some Christians don't believe Jesus existed.---------whitey-------

But they are not Christians. To be a Christian means to follow Christ. If one doesn't think he existed then how can one follow him?

I think you're just being playful.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
13 Feb 08

I doubt it. I even doubt that you do. Maybe you could elaborate, what was he trying to say? Then maybe we can get his version and compare the two?
I understand my concept of eternity fine.

Cape Town

Moves
15 Feb 08

But they are not Christians. To be a Christian means to follow Christ. If one doesn't think he existed then how can one follow him?

I think you're just being playful.
Yes I am being playful, but at the same time pointing out your strawman of assuming that all Christians have a common theology - and that you know what it is. Many Christians actually follow Paul, not Christ, and yes, someone can follow Christ without believing that he existed. In fact, I have come across a large number of people on this site who suggest that we should follow Christs teachings with regards to morality and those of similar figures from various religions whether or not their teachings on theism are correct and whether or not they actually existed.
I would also argue that a significant proportion of Christians are wise enough to know what a lot of what is attributed to Jesus did not actually happen as written in the gospels or did not actually happen at all. Therefore the Christ you follow, they do not believe in.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
16 Feb 08

Yes I am being playful, but at the same time pointing out your strawman of assuming that all Christians have a common theology - and that you know what it is. Many Christians actually follow Paul, not Christ, and yes, someone can follow Christ without believing that he existed. In fact, I have come across a large number of people on this site who suggest ...[text shortened]... pels or did not actually happen at all. Therefore the Christ you follow, they do not believe in.
I would also argue that a significant proportion of Christians are wise enough to know what a lot of what is attributed to Jesus did not actually happen as written in the gospels or did not actually happen at all. Therefore the Christ you follow, they do not believe in.
And your argument would be rife with contradiction, both internal and external. But I know it must bring you great comfort in believing such nonsense: it makes rejection of the biblical truths (and therefore, accountability to the same) that much more manageable.

Cape Town

Moves
18 Feb 08

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
And your argument would be rife with contradiction, both internal and external. But I know it must bring you great comfort in believing such nonsense: it makes rejection of the biblical truths (and therefore, accountability to the same) that much more manageable.
You are welcome to try to dispute my claim. However, as usual, you choose to try to shed doubt without actually saying anything of substance. You are so like the white house that I suspect you work there, or did some studies there.
And by the way, I do not require 'comfort' from my hypothesis, not do I worry in any way about rejecting the Biblical 'truths' nor accountability to the same. To summarize: your mind reading abilities are terrible.

Why is it that so many Christians are convinced that Atheists like myself are somehow closet 'believers' racked with guilt? What is so hard about accepting that some people simply do not believe that God exists?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
18 Feb 08

You are welcome to try to dispute my claim. However, as usual, you choose to try to shed doubt without actually saying anything of substance. You are so like the white house that I suspect you work there, or did some studies there.
And by the way, I do not require 'comfort' from my hypothesis, not do I worry in any way about rejecting the Biblical 'truth ...[text shortened]... t? What is so hard about accepting that some people simply do not believe that God exists?
You are welcome to try to dispute my claim.
Actually, you made three claims which I have disputed by my last thread. You stated an ability to argue:
1. a significant number of Christians
2. are wise enough
3. to doubt the veracity of sayings attributed to the Lord Jesus Christ

Since you are the one making the argument, you'll have to support all three--- my previous work background notwithstanding, of course.