Does God favour the left?

Does God favour the left?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
04 Jul 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Ever wonder why, in Court, we put our left hand on the bible to be sworn in?

It's because the left hand is the hand closest to the heart. When making a promise with the left hand on the bible it symbolizes how a heart is pure, innocent and honest.
Well then, if the heart is so pure, innocent and honest, why take an oath on the Bible?

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
04 Jul 15

To liberate Israel from the Moabites, God sent Ehud, a left-handed assassin, to carry out one of the most gruesome murders found in the bible. (According to Judges, the Benjamites were incredible left handed warriors that could hit a single human hair with a sling).

'Again the Israelites cried out to the Lord, and he gave them a deliverer—Ehud, a ...[text shortened]... den meaning here, or did God just recognise that 'lefties' kick ass? (And yes, i'm left handed).
Blessings came from the right hand

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Jul 15
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
I'm left handed also.

Edit: but only for writing, everything else is right handed.
I have nothing against left handed people. My wife is left handed and we had a son that was both left and right handed. His grade school teach complained that she was having a hard time getting him to write with only one hand. He started out writing with his left hand and in the middle of the page he would switch to his right hand to finish the right side of the paper.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
04 Jul 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
I have nothing against left handed people. My wife is left handed and we had a son that was both left and right handed. His grade school teach complained that she was having a hard time getting him to write with only one hand. He started out writing with his left hand and in the middle of the page he would switch to his right hand to finish the right side of the paper.
Yes, i would also do that during exams. I tend to grip the pen too tight and am prone to hand ache. When that happened i would just switch to the right hand until the left recovered.

Naturally, like most things, the writing from the 'left' hand was more beautiful and inspired.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Jul 15

My hand writing is horrific and nearly unreadable - and getting worse as it is very rarely used. I fill out the occasional form and sometimes go for months without writing a single word. I type with both hands - a far more important skill.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
04 Jul 15

To liberate Israel from the Moabites, God sent Ehud, a left-handed assassin, to carry out one of the most gruesome murders found in the bible. (According to Judges, the Benjamites were incredible left handed warriors that could hit a single human hair with a sling).

'Again the Israelites cried out to the Lord, and he gave them a deliverer—Ehud, a ...[text shortened]... den meaning here, or did God just recognise that 'lefties' kick ass? (And yes, i'm left handed).
I just don't see how this was so "gruesome" a murder. Did you make that up or did you copy and paste it from another source?

I don't think being left or right handed is better or worse either way. I wish I was ambidextrous. Seems that would be superior to one or the other.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
04 Jul 15

Originally posted by josephw
I just don't see how this was so "gruesome" a murder. Did you make that up or did you copy and paste it from another source?

I don't think being left or right handed is better or worse either way. I wish I was ambidextrous. Seems that would be superior to one or the other.
Gruesome in regards to the descriptive nature of the assassination. But sure, it's no Stephen King.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Jul 15

Yes, i would also do that during exams. I tend to grip the pen too tight and am prone to hand ache. When that happened i would just switch to the right hand until the left recovered.

Naturally, like most things, the writing from the 'left' hand was more beautiful and inspired.
I have seen many left handed people write in what I call an upside down manner with their hand curled over the top of the page. It seems awkward to me. Do you know what I am mean?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
04 Jul 15

I have seen many left handed people write in what I call an upside down manner with their hand curled over the top of the page. It seems awkward to me. Do you know what I am mean?
Yes, a lot of left handers write that way. I tend to drag my hand over what i've just written, so have to use quick drying ink. (Fountain pens are impossible to write with).

Cape Town

Moves
04 Jul 15

The reason for that is because left-right writing is designed for right handed people.

It makes you wonder how the Hebrews and other middle eastern people that go right-left write.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Jul 15

Yes, a lot of left handers write that way. I tend to drag my hand over what i've just written, so have to use quick drying ink. (Fountain pens are impossible to write with).
My guess was that it was due to a defect in a gene. 😀

Cape Town

Moves
04 Jul 15

Originally posted by josephw
I wish I was ambidextrous. Seems that would be superior to one or the other.
No, there are advantages to specialization - otherwise nature would have made us ambidextrous.
The fact that a certain percentage of people are left handed fits well with the predictions of evolution.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Jul 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
No, there are advantages to specialization - otherwise nature would have made us ambidextrous.
The fact that a certain percentage of people are left handed fits well with the predictions of evolution.
What is that percentage?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
04 Jul 15

What is that percentage?
Roughly 10 per cent.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
04 Jul 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
"Predictions of evolution"? That's just speculation! You're assuming something based on false logic. "Nature" doesn't make anything. "Nature" was made. By assuming the logic that nature "makes" anything is to assume nature causes things to occur by design, which assumes an intelligent designer.

Look! See! You just found God! 🙂