"Do we have a soul or not? Prove it!" (2015)

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Jul 15

Originally posted by Dasa
It is the easiest question to answer.

Proof of the soul is consciousness and everything that goes with it.(mind, intelligence, free will and ego)

Honest men accept this.

Dishonest men will not.............(but they cannot explain consciousness.) and they come up with the most stupid and foolish arguments to reject this proof.

The people who reject the ...[text shortened]... unk science will tell you ................that life comes from dead matter but they cannot proof it.
"Proof of the soul is consciousness and everything that goes with it.(mind, intelligence, free will and ego)..." Thanks, Dasa.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
31 Jul 15

Originally posted by josephw

Is God a liar?
Maybe.
What do you think?
How would you test your hypothesis?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Jul 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
Original post by phillip beer (on 01 Jun '04 16:34) Thread 11214 (7 Pages)
Do we have a soul or not? Prove it!

"It is the oldest of questions. Do we have an eternal soul or do we die and that is it. What is the nature of our consciousness?"

Note: Recently found this eleven year old thread while searching for something els ...[text shortened]... quite awhile yet is still relevant to many other threads on this spirituality forum. Your insights?
Originally posted by StarValleyWy Thread 11214 (Page 6)

"Being a good athiest, I must confess that I have a rather well proven soul. It has served me in raising my children and in accomplishing my life work.

It makes me aware of the needs of others. It makes me cry at the pain inflicted by stupidity. It rewards me when I help an innocent or one in need.

Can I prove it exists? No. Because I can't explain what mind is. But I have it. It is my soul. It gives me knowledge of right and wrong. It gives me righteous anger and guilt. It gives me... my soul."

Cape Town

Moves
31 Jul 15

Originally posted by sonship
I think you understand me so far.
No, I clearly don't.

Then take a "mind" on a lower lever if you wish. How did the first mind emerge from some threshold complex combination of matter ?
Why are you so focused on 'the first mind'? What is so special about the first mind? To be honest I have no idea what the first mind was. A major problem in determining the first mind would be how you define mind. Does an ant have a mind?
Why don't we instead ask how a present day mind emerges? How did your mind or my mind or my cats mind emerge as we went from single celled to fully grown?

I think Mind preceded Matter. I don't think Matter preceded the existence of Mind.
Well obviously being a theist you believe that. But you have given no argument for it, it is just a belief, and I find your questions about how the first mind arose to be quite irrelevant. The fact that minds do arise from physical matter in the here and now is hardly deniable. Or are you of the opinion that it is a process that is non-physical and non-scientific and managed by God? Does God insert some special ingredient during the growth of each concious living thing?

I'm afraid you have to bear with my "non-standard" (non Atheistic?) usage for the moment.
I have no problem with any usage so long as you are clear what you mean.

All the programs I know were produced by some mind.
The code, yes, but not the actual running of it. I do not run computer programs in my mind, they run on my computer. You may claim that my mind was designed by God, but it runs in my brain and is an emergent property of my physical brain.

I'm a Christian Theist.
Yes, we know that, but it is besides the point. The issue I was getting at is how the resulting properties of a computer emerge from the hardware and whether or not they are dependant on that hardware etc. Whether there was some prior mind is not particularly relevant. Given that you keep on bringing up your belief in a prior mind I suspect you are misunderstanding me.

I see. So are you saying it is useless to use language to discuss the soul and identity ?
No, I am saying the current definitions do not define distinct physical objects but rather grey edged concepts. As such it is in error to make certain claims about them. If you were to claim that the Zambezi river is brown, you would be wrong as there are times of year when it is green. Similarly, almost any claim you make about the Zambezi river is going to have problems due to the fact that the concept is grey edged.

A river can dry up.
And is it still there when it does? Is it the same river or a different one? Can we dig it up and move it?

You'll have to explain how the river analogy hinders me from conceiving of YOUR identity or MY identity or the identity of anyone else.
I am trying to. Do you think the Zambezi river has an identity? Yes or no?

Is it really necessary?
Not entirely, but it would aid communication if we didn't talk across each other all the time.

Come on twhitehead, you know what I mean by your mind, your emotion, and your will.
I know the standard definitions, but the way you talk about them suggests you mean something more. For example, I believe that emotions are directly affected by chemicals in the brain. Do you agree?

Do you think you are of more value than a termite ?
Does a termite have a soul? Can it have emotions?

We cannot weigh a memory.
You cannot weight the words in a book either. Nevertheless, they are still stored in the book just as a memory is stored in your brain. There is no real difference between the two.

We cannot tell how many grams a memory of some event in life weighs. But we can weigh the brain. If something is true of the brain which is not true of the identity this proves that they are not the same.
Nobody is claiming they are the same, just as a story is not the same as the book it is in. Nevertheless, the story is in the book and wholly dependent on the book for its existence. Burn the book and the story is gone.

If they are not the same, that suggests that we cannot be so sure that whatever happens to one exactly happens to the other.
I think we can be sure that a story is dependent on the book it is in. Remove a page and the story changes. Change some letters and the story changes. Add words, remove words, the story changes.

I think your view that the psychological properties and events are not identical with physical properties but are wholly dependent upon them.
Yes.

Consciousness is not a property that physics books ascribe to matter.
Only because physics books typically look at a different scale. You won't find physics books describing story books either, but the fact remains that a book can contain a story and the story can be thought of as a physical property of that book.

Matter is thought of as in another catagory from mind, your "standard definition" included.
Yes, mind is information or the structure of matter rather than the individual components of matter, just as a galaxy is not the same thing as the individual stars that make it up.

How could nonconscious material produce consciousness?
The same way non-galaxy starts can produce a galaxy, or non-story pages can produce a book.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Jul 15
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
No, I clearly don't.

[b]Then take a "mind" on a lower lever if you wish. How did the first mind emerge from some threshold complex combination of matter ?

Why are you so focused on 'the first mind'? What is so special about the first mind? To be honest I have no idea what the first mind was. A major problem in determining the first mind would be ...[text shortened]... /b]
The same way non-galaxy starts can produce a galaxy, or non-story pages can produce a book.[/b]
No, I clearly don't.
---------------------------------
That's funny. Your polemics suggest that you clearly do.
"Oh no, Let's not go there" is the sense I get from your objection to my use a "mind" in a so-called "non-standard" way.

me:
Then take a "mind" on a lower lever if you wish. How did the first mind emerge from some threshold complex combination of matter ?
tw: Why are you so focused on 'the first mind'?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I take this as dodging the question by posing another.

What is so special about the first mind?
-------------------------------------------------------------
I take this as a deflection, a dodge to send the question away.
I take every mind as rather special.

To be honest I have no idea what the first mind was.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for a reply.
A purely naturalistic philosophy has a real problem with that question. For the theist, he may not have the details either. But the theist believes that the supernatural comes in to play.

This is not "God of the gaps" argumentation.
This is not filling in God because of what I don't know.
This is belief in God because of what I DO know.
Minds cannot come from some complex threshold arrangement of matter. Especially, from some purposeless and aimless cascade of trial and error collisions of matter.

So I believe the realistic view is that mind precedes matter rather than the other way around.

A major problem in determining the first mind would be how you define mind.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think that is so much a "major problem" but rather a major dodge of the issue. You spoke of "grey edges". I don't think we need to expand the area of greyness overmuch.

If you take the "grey edge" and move it more and more in to expand it, the entire thing discussed becomes grey. Now this may work to the advantage of some debater to avoid dealing with such a question trying to uncover how mind emerged from matter in a purely naturalistic sense.

When you raise questions like "How do you define mind?" in order to postpone having to face the dilemma a purely Naturalistic emergence of mind, I suspect that that is just a maneuver to obfuscate the matter a little bit.

Does an ant have a mind?

-----------------------------------------
Same problem exists if it does.
How did some threshold complex combination of atoms which don't think give rise to mind.

Asking if the ant has a mind, stalls the question. That's all.
You said you don't know. And I'll take that as a legitimate reply.

Now me? I have a belief.
An uncreated Creator with a mind of unlimited wisdom and power, preceded the existence of matter and all other minds. I believe a nature transcendent Mind of God is in the explanation, though I am agnostic as to the precise details.

I think it would be superstitious to believe otherwise.
"Does an ant have a mind?" is not that relevant to my belief one way or the other. Its a red herring.

Why don't we instead ask how a present day mind emerges?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How then does a complex arrangement of non-thinking atoms cause a mind to emerge? I suspect that you still don't know. Right?

How did your mind or my mind or my cats mind emerge as we went from single celled to fully grown?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like you're joining me in asking the question.

me:
I think Mind preceded Matter. I don't think Matter preceded the existence of Mind.

tw: Well obviously being a theist you believe that. But you have given no argument for it, it is just a belief, and I find your questions about how the first mind arose to be quite irrelevant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I admit that it is a belief right up front.
And I did give argument for it by asking you a question in which your reply was that you did not know.

An alternative to "no reason" or "no reason that I know" is a supernatural reason. You say that this is obvious to the theist. It is also obviously sensible.

The fact that minds do arise from physical matter in the here and now is hardly deniable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I never denied it.

Or are you of the opinion that it is a process that is non-physical and non-scientific and managed by God? Does God insert some special ingredient during the growth of each concious living thing?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know. But it is more believable that a creative and powerful wisdom knows how to do it that to believe no "know-how" was involved from no thinking mind.

However God bestows life on matter it involves an incredible level of "know-how". An accident doesn't do it - over and over and over again.

skip ...

me:
All the programs I know were produced by some mind.

tw: The code, yes, but not the actual running of it. [/b]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The running of it is also produced by the work of minds.
Software from software engineers and hardware from hardware engineers are involved. Both use their minds and cooperation.

I do not run computer programs in my mind, they run on my computer.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before it runs on the computer, it "ran" in your mind of you were the programmer. You imagined how it should work.

I don't think you can somehow squeeze the concept of "mind" out of the whole operation of the running of a computer program.

You may claim that my mind was designed by God, but it runs in my brain and is an emergent property of my physical brain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recognize a close relationship between our minds and our physical grey matter of the brain. God's mind is involved in the creation of both and their designed means of interaction.

A repetitive accident isn't responsible for either brains or minds.
I would count it the highest superstition to attempt to eliminate a transcendent creative mind of God out of the matter.

I don't have enough faith to be an atheist.

me: I'm a Christian Theist.

tw: Yes, we know that, but it is besides the point.

Its not beside my point. The title of the thread is Do we have a soul or not? Prove it!"

In the course of discussing this, the comparison of identity, souls, and consciousness in relation to physical brain activity arose. A Christian would draw an legitimate though probably limited comparison between God as "designing engineer / programmer" and soul / identity / consciousness as to the coordination of matter and immaterial entities.

Since I take some of this on faith rather than claiming to produce scientific formula proving God's existence, I remind you that I am a Christian theist.

You also have a kind of "faith" in your atheist naturalistic worldview. I think you wish to first jury rig definitions to favor that view. And I think you also want to assume what is "relevant" and "irrelevant" to favor that viewpoint.

This is a Spirituality Forum. You came here to talk.
I didn't go over to Science and claim to have a mathematical formula proving without God's the creator of souls, minds, and identities.

Now some overlap of the two realms of science and spiritual faith I happily acknowledge. I think "All truth is God's truth" anyway.

The issue I was getting at is how the resulting properties of a computer emerge from the hardware and whether or not they are dependant on that hardware etc. Whether there was some prior mind is not particularly relevant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
In discussing the origin of souls / consciousness / identy / self it is relevant. Origin is discussed in relation to whether they exist or not.
I take the affirmative position - souls or the soul does exist. And I also take the position that since the material brain and the immaterial self are not identical, all the happens to one may not happen to the other.

Therefore, it could be that when one ceases, the other does not.
And as a Christian I do not count as "irrelevant" the communication to us from God and the demonstration in history that a man died and came back the same Person.

Something is up here concerning the continuance of a human soul after physical death.

So as annoying as it may be to you, I argue some psychology and I argue some theology, I think seekers of the truth, should make room for contributions for both realms.

Given that you keep on bringing up your belief in a prior mind I suspect you are misunderstanding me.

Instead of "prior mind" then think of it as "transcendent mind".
It is not mandatory that we speak of TIME as in prior of after.
That's relevant, I think, but not the whole matter.

Lives reproduce. A thinking person gives birth to another, and that to another, etc. So the process of lives multiplying and producing OTHER lives is evident. They each have souls.

If you want to shy away from the TIME matter, then just understand that a Mind is overseeing the whole operation of the production of other minds.

To not assume so, I would regard as highly superstitious.
I don't have enough faith for athe...

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Jul 15
3 edits

me: I see. So are you saying it is useless to use language to discuss the soul and identity ?

tw: No, I am saying the current definitions do not define distinct physical objects but rather grey edged concepts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As such it is in error to make certain claims about them.

If you were to claim that the Zambezi river is brown, you would be wrong as there are times of year when it is green. Similarly, almost any claim you make about the Zambezi river is going to have problems due to the fact that the concept is grey edged.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is rather a self defeating argument. You just claimed that three times a year it is green.

I don't think it is fair to insist that YOU can make a claim about your river but I cannot because of grey edged-ness of the term "river."

me: A river can dry up.

tw: And is it still there when it does? Is it the same river or a different one? Can we dig it up and move it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't honestly think that the grey edge-ness of the term "river" forbids people to discuss such things as a running river, a dried up river, a river bed, the level of water or none at all.

I don't think communication between humans about rivers is so severely hindered by the grey-edge-ness of the word "river."

And I think we can discuss souls.
I don't think it is fair to reason that we can talk about "souls" as long as we conclude with Naturalistic explanations only. And that we have to stop talking about souls when a Supernatural aspect to their existence is introduced by a Christian Theist.

me:
You'll have to explain how the river analogy hinders me from conceiving of YOUR identity or MY identity or the identity of anyone else.

tw: I am trying to. Do you think the Zambezi river has an identity? Yes or no?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We give the Zambezi river an identity - Zambezi.
I'm giggling now. So I hope you have a good point here.

Is it really necessary?

----------------------------------

Yes, for geographic and other purposes it is necessary that the people of that region of the globe give that river an identity.

Not entirely, but it would aid communication if we didn't talk across each other all the time.

It would be needed in communication to be more precise as to what we are talking about in speaking of the Zambese river. I can imagine some instances where possibly we would have to be more precise.

But so what?

me: Come on twhitehead, you know what I mean by your mind, your emotion, and your will.

tw: I know the standard definitions, but the way you talk about them suggests you mean something more. For example, I believe that emotions are directly affected by chemicals in the brain. Do you agree?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some emotions apparently can be effected by chemicals.
There is a close interaction between the physical brain matter with its chemistry and the feeling of some emotions.

I think this may be the third repetition of this acknowledgment by me in this thread.

me: Do you think you are of more value than a termite ?

tw: Does a termite have a soul? Can it have emotions?

The question stands regardless if the termite has one or not.
Was that a yes or a no?

I don't know that it is important to you but the Bible says animals have souls. Some of the Hebrew language may be more particular as to which animals. I am not well versed on that subject.

But anyway, termite soul or no termite soul, I think you have more value than a termite. Me too.

You may have noticed that there is no other creature on the earth quite as special as a human being. This is not saying dolphins or chimps are not special. This is not saying whales singing to each other is not special. This is not saying ant social colonies are not special.

This is simply saying human beings seem to occupy a class in which not other creatures share. Now I have a belief here. It says in the Bible that this uniqueness is due to the fact that God created man in His own image and according to His own likeness.

Our value, above the interesting termite (soul or no) is because we reflect some thing of the unique uncreated Divine Life. Even if animals do have souls, the human soul is unique still.

Experience confirms this.
I believe the Bible explains why.

In the search for truth I include both contributions.

me: We cannot weigh a memory.

tw: You cannot weight the words in a book either. Nevertheless, they are still stored in the book just as a memory is stored in your brain. There is no real difference between the two.

I am not sure that the memory is stored in the brain.
Under a microscope we cannot see the memory of someone's now year's celebration for instance. This is not trivialization, just a handy example.

The actual psychological memory is the stuff of souls.
Whatever chemical matter is seen to be activated in the brain in association with the memory, we cannot say IS the memory.

The latter is spatial and can be located in space.
The former is not.
I am thinking of an airplane right now. Do you think that thought is physically nearer to my right ear or my left ear ?
I don't think it is located in space at all.

Souls are something immaterial, with consciousness and identity and our "selves."

It is true that removing part of the brain will hinder some function of a person. I don't think that removing half a person's brain would remove half of that person's soul.

We cannot tell how many grams a memory of some event in life weighs. But we can weigh the brain.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You saying what I believe then.

me: If something is true of the brain which is not true of the identity this proves that they are not the same.

tw: Nobody is claiming they are the same, just as a story is not the same as the book it is in. Nevertheless, the story is in the book and wholly dependent on the book for its existence. Burn the book and the story is gone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you ever read the novel or see the movie Fahrenheit 451? That's a story by Ray Bradbury. An important and valid point of it was that if all books were burned the stories in them could be kept in existence in the minds of some dedicated people.

The story is in the mind.
And the mind is part of the soul.
Symbols exist in the books.
Without minds there would be no meaning to the symbols and thus no story. And even if the book with symbols were destroyed the story could continue to exist.

skip ...

I think we can be sure that a story is dependent on the book it is in.

A soul had to put it IN the book to begin with.
And a soul has to read it OUT of the book.
A soul can also retain the story in the mind after the book is destroyed.

Remove a page and the story changes.

Some soul familiar with the story may insert the missing portion mentally even if a page is removed. That is because the story got into the mind.

Change some letters and the story changes. Add words, remove words, the story changes.

A mind can determine where typos exist.
A mind can repair the story if it recognizes that damage has been done to it. And a mind can alter the story. It is not now the same story as the original mind encoded into the pages. But both are stories in the minds of souls.

skip ...

me: Consciousness is not a property that physics books ascribe to matter.

tw: Only because physics books typically look at a different scale.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know where you are going with this. But in the search for real truth we take the contributions of physics books and we take the contributions of other realms of knowledge too.

God has provided revelation on some things that we could not otherwise know. These contribute to the overall search for reality.

You don't believe God or that God has spoken. I do.
And the many of the alternative explanations for things a Naturalist provides I find to be less plausible.

I have refrained from Bible quotes up to now.
For some readers now I provide a reference:

" He who planted the ear, does He not hear ?
He who formed the eye, does He not see ?
... He who teaches man knowledge, does He not reprove?

Jehovah knows the thoughts of man, that they are vanity." (Psalm 94:10,11b)

The salient point in me using this quotation is that we are so designed as to indicate that our Source's nature is reflected in some of our functioning.

The effect is the EYE. The cause of the effect should be someone who "sees". The effect is the EAR. The cause of the effect should be someone who "hears."

And this relation is extended to the immaterial soul of m...

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Jul 15
4 edits

And this relation is extended to the immaterial soul of man with its thinking, gaining knowledge, imagining.

You won't find physics books describing story books either, but the fact remains that a book can contain a story and the story can be thought of as a physical property of that book.

Well, reducing the story to symbols such as human language letters you can think of the story as being in the book stored. I don't dispute how one can view this.

It is quite legitimate to recognize that the story is first in the mind that conceived it and decided to encode it in language symbols. And a mind read and interpreted the symbols of language to receive the story and remember it possibly for further passing verbally - the story.

Quite a bit of immaterial activity goes on there. And that involves immaterial souls.

Yes, mind is information or the structure of matter rather than the individual components of matter, just as a galaxy is not the same thing as the individual stars that make it up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mind and matter are in close coordination as seen by some limited instances of thinking with physical brain states. And one "can" virtually equate them on some superficial level.

There is not enough there to say they are each other in an overall commitment to physicality or Naturalistic materialism.

The story in the book is more than the letters.
The mind, emotion, and will, consciousness and identity are more than physical brain states.

When Jesus told the dying thief "This day you will be with me in Paradise" , Jesus, (whose words I take very seriously) indicated that his SOUL would continue after physical crucifixion.

Regardless of how Jesus may be a bother to us, I think it behooves us to draw from His wisdom.

Ranger

Rohan

Moves
31 Jul 15

Proof is the empirical (relating to spatio-temporal events) or logical demonstration of the truth or falsity of an asserted proposition. Since the soul, by definition, is neither spacial nor temporal, any proposition concerning its existence or non-existence is not subject to proof or demonstration.

Cape Town

Moves
31 Jul 15

I take this as dodging the question by posing another.
No, not at all. I just fail to see why the first mind arising from matter is any different from a current mind arising from matter and the latter question seems much easier to answer. You however seem to think there is something special about the former, but you are not saying what. Perhaps you could explain why the first mind was special?

A purely naturalistic philosophy has a real problem with that question.
No, I don't think so. You certainly have not stated any problem.

Minds cannot come from some complex threshold arrangement of matter.
And as you say, that is nothing more than a religious belief on your part.

So I believe the realistic view is that mind precedes matter rather than the other way around.
Not 'realistic view' but 'religious view'. You have given no logical argument for your belief only a religious statement. So be honest and admit that a religious belief is all it is rather than trying to pretend you came about the believe via reasoning. You didn't.

When you raise questions like "How do you define mind?" in order to postpone having to face the dilemma a purely Naturalistic emergence of mind, I suspect that that is just a maneuver to obfuscate the matter a little bit.
There is no dilemma. It is just that you are asking a question about an instant when the reality is a continuity. You are asking me 'where did that river become a stream'? And I am asking you to define 'river' as I believe there is a continuity between the stream and the river and no definitive starting point. But we cannot deny that the stream changes into a river. And no, there is no dilemma.

I do not know how the first mind came about. I know the rough outline of the evolution of life so I could possibly estimate what the first life form with any given sophistication of brain was like, but I really don't know whether we are talking about he first fish, or the first worm. Certainly works can feel, so that fits part of your definition of 'soul'. But do they have emotions? I am not sure. I think fish do.
Where did the first fish brain come from? Well it is a bit more sophisticated than the fish ancestors brain. I am not sure if they share a common brain ancestry with the octopus which is actually more intelligent than your average fish - and certainly fits your definition of 'soul'. Maybe the octopus soul evolved separately.

Same problem exists if it does.
How did some threshold complex combination of atoms which don't think give rise to mind.

Except only you seem to be able to see the problem. I don't see a problem. How did it happen? Evolution. Need more specifics? As a evolutionary biologist because I sure don't know. But I also no of no reason to think it couldn't happen.

I have a belief.
Yes. You have religion. That doesn't make it right, nor does it make me wrong. You need logic and evidence to prove your belief right not just repeating it over and over.

I think it would be superstitious to believe otherwise.
Why? You have not given any reasoning to support that. Why would it be superstitious to believe differently from you?

Cape Town

Moves
31 Jul 15

The posts were getting a bit long so let me try and summarize:
1. I don't think we disagree that the mind is information and in some ways not physical.
2. You have claimed that minds cannot arise without other minds but have given zero justification for this belief. Despite repeatedly stressing that you think it the only rational belief to hold, it appears that it is actually a wholly religious belief.
3. If you do choose to provide justification, make sure that you explain why your justification doesn't equally apply to rivers, ie why is it not rational for me to equally claim that there must be a universal river that created all other rivers.
4. Rivers and stories are also information and not wholly physical. By looking at rivers and stories we immediately see problems with trying to assign identity to them. Unless you can show that the soul has some special properties not applicable to stories or rivers then the soul too must suffer from the same identity crises.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
31 Jul 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Originally posted by Agerg
"How about an answer now? or at least an acknowledgement that you don't have the faintest idea what a soul is, since all you really have is vague and or magical words for it."

Agerg, if I [b]"don't have the faintest idea what a soul is"
and all I "really have is vague and or m ...[text shortened]... ly waste your time asking me these questions in the first place? Please regain your objectivity.
My objectivity is fine thank you very much ... it is unfortunate you are not capable of recognising the utility of such questions
hint: you're supposed to try mull them over in your head and come to the realisation that you have no chance in hell in answering them, because for all your blustering and farting about with dictionary definitions, you know precisely jack-***t about souls.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Jul 15
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
No, not at all. I just fail to see why the first mind arising from matter is any different from a current mind arising from matter and the latter question seems much easier to answer. You however seem to think there is something special about the former, but you are not saying what. Perhaps you could explain why the first mind was special?

[b]A purely ...[text shortened]... en any reasoning to support that. Why would it be superstitious to believe differently from you?
No, not at all. I just fail to see why the first mind arising from matter is any different from a current mind arising from matter and the latter question seems much easier to answer.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may choose any numbered mind you wish.
Molecules do not think.
Combine them in any combination you wish at any time past or present. Atoms and molecules still do not think.

If you prefer the mind that came about yesterday morning somewhere, that's fine with me. Matter does not include the concept of consciousness or other mental features.

You however seem to think there is something special about the former,

Negated above. Moving on.

you are not saying what. Perhaps you could explain why the first mind was special?
Addressed above. Moving on.

me: A purely naturalistic philosophy has a real problem with that question.

tw: No, I don't think so. You certainly have not stated any problem.

To repeat (and expand):

Matter, by definition, doesn't include the concept of consciousness or other mental features, however you combine it in any complex arrangement.

me: Minds cannot come from some complex threshold arrangement of matter.

tw: And as you say, that is nothing more than a religious belief on your part.

What "kind" of belief it is is irrelevant.
Matter in any combination doesn't include the concept of consciousness or "self".

Why be in denial about it?

me: So I believe the realistic view is that mind precedes matter rather than the other way around.

tw: Not 'realistic view' but 'religious view'.

Even if you'd like to label my belief "religious view" a "religious view" may be a truthful one. Sorry. Maybe you are attempting a false dichotomy that truth cannot be truth if it is held in a "religious belief."

It is interesting that as much as you harp on me defining "mind" you don't likewise harp on defining "religion."

How come you don't speak of "religion" as having "grey edges" ?

You have given no logical argument for your belief only a religious statement.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which atom thinks ?
Which molecule is self aware ?
How do you know ?

Let your response to these three questions be without question marks.

So be honest and admit that a religious belief is all it is rather than trying to pretend you came about the believe via reasoning. You didn't.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your next post will identify the thinking atom among all atoms.
Hopefully you'll identify it without obfuscating and stalling.

Why don't you speak up for the word "religion" having "grey edges" ? You can say something about that AFTER you identify the matter in which we can locate THOUGHT.

me: When you raise questions like "How do you define mind?" in order to postpone having to face the dilemma a purely Naturalistic emergence of mind, I suspect that that is just a maneuver to obfuscate the matter a little bit.

tw: There is no dilemma. It is just that you are asking a question about an instant when the reality is a continuity.

You were complaining about about "fancy words" ?
I don't know what you mean exactly.

When you explain:
1.) Where we can locate a thinking atom,
2.) Why "religion" is not a word with "grey edges",
3.) What you mean by "an instant when reality is a continuity"

(without question marks)
You can explain if our choices and beliefs are or are not all mechanistically determined.

If we really do make choices that are not all mechanistically determined by matter then it is plausible to believe in the soul's existence. Something immaterial is making choices.

If you argue that our choices are all mechanistically determined then there is no credit to you for believing anything. That belief is just the fissing of matter. Your belief for which you are arguing then, is just the fissing of chemicals.

You are asking me 'where did that river become a stream'?

No I am not. That's you attempting to put a question into my mouth.

And I am asking you to define 'river' as I believe there is a continuity between the stream and the river and no definitive starting point. But we cannot deny that the stream changes into a river. And no, there is no dilemma.
Then if there is no dilemma about the mind you should have little trouble in identifying the thinking particles.

If you stall, bow out, pose questions as red herrings, then maybe you DO have a delimma.

You wanted me to get over "first minds".
Why don't you get over your "river."

I do not know how the first mind came about.
------------------------------------------------------------------
You may use the last Tuesday's mind if you prefer.

I know the rough outline of the evolution of life so I could possibly estimate what the first life form with any given sophistication of brain was like,
You may use the mind formed this morning !

but I really don't know whether we are talking about he first fish, or the first worm.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may use the mind formed a half hour ago !

Certainly works can feel,
--------------------------------------------
"Worms" can feel is probably what you meant.
I don't think that running into grey areas helps.

You know that the mind of the baby born a few minutes ago thinks. Or at least you know that at some point it will "think" if you prefer.

I think it is safe to conclude that you are stumped to explain naturalistically how consciousness arises from non-conscious matter. You already said you didn't know.

So if you don't know then why do you dismiss looking in a so-called "religious" possibility illegitimate? In the search for truth we may have to be like a three stage rocket. One stage gets you so far up. Then you have to use another stage to go higher. And then another possibly to go even higher.

And unlike a computer a mind has the ability to transcend itself. I can contemplate another person, hope for a sunny day, dream of me on a vacation, imagine living in another time.

No physical state is about or of another physical state.
The self transcending ability of mind is a characteristic of nonphysical mental nature.

so that fits part of your definition of 'soul'. But do they have emotions? I am not sure. I think fish do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ask you about minds. Why not start with something that you KNOW has one - like a man. Why avoid the question by pursuing questionable possessors?

Forget evolution - mentioned for the first time here by you, not me.
You know that you possess a mind, I hope.
Can you take a slab of your brain and post up a photograph of the molecules which form your appreciation for some favorite song?

Its an immaterial matter. Its something of the soul - non-material.
skip ...
... Maybe the octopus soul evolved separately.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you arguing that because the octopus and the termite are questionable as to whether they have souls, therefore it follows that you don't have a soul ?

If you wish to totally reduce your being to the fissing of chemicals then you are not arguing for anything true. You are just bubbling away physically. And you didn't really "choose" to believe something true as opposed to something false.

me: Same problem exists if it does.

tw: Except only you seem to be able to see the problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope. Colin McGinn a naturalistic philosopher also sees the dilemma:

"How did evolution convert the water of biological tissue into the wine of consciousness?"

His answer :

"We know of no comparable force [as with the force of gravity's accounting for the Big Bang's leading to creation of galaxies] that might explain how ever expanding lumps of matter might have developed an inner conscious life."

One Ned Block, another naturalistic philosopher agrees, saying researchers are "stumped" regarding the emergence of consciousness (or subjective experience) from matter.

"There is nothing --- zilch ---- worthy of being called a research programme ... "

That is, he meant, to explain the phenomenon of arranging matter into a self conscious mind.

Christian Theists do not have this dilemma because we believe it is most reasonable that revelation has informed the world that a uncreated and supremely self-aware eternal God has created us in the image of God. This has explanatory power even though you would like to dismiss such as "religious".

You are stumped.
And YOU are not alone in being stumped.

[...

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Jul 15
2 edits

You are stumped.
And YOU are not alone in being stumped.

I don't see a problem.
-----------------------------------------

Well the problem that you claim not to see is that matter, by definition, does not include the concept of consciousness. If you add a lot of zeros you still end up with a big zero.

So your hope that you can combine a lot of matter and arrive at a thinking mind is a dilemma. Denial, I suppose is one way to deal with it. As you can see, some naturalist philosophers don't join you in this approach.

How did it happen? Evolution.

--------------------------------------------
Now you can talk about "grey edges" for a word here too.

Need more specifics?

------------------------------------
I don't require more specifics right now. I understand your religious commitment to this "faith" in Evolution.

You see twhitehead, one of the aspects of "religious" people (as you consider them) is that we can spot other "religious" people.

As a evolutionary biologist because I sure don't know. But I also no of no reason to think it couldn't happen.
I did not insist that we talk about evolution and the first mind.
I made explanation about ANY recent mind appropriate to the discussion.

jw: I have a belief.

tw: Yes. You have religion.

-------------------------------------------

See above where you refer to your " religious " explanation - Evolution did it.

By the way, a "religious" explanation in either regard may just be also a true explanation. I think a Creating Mind with great power and purpose is more reasonable that your process which you put your "faith" in.

You can hold that your Evolution is more reasonable if you wish.
I personally don't have that much faith.

That doesn't make it right, nor does it make me wrong. You need logic and evidence to prove your belief right not just repeating it over and over.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you argue that "logic" excludes a Supreme Being who is self-aware, I don't see how that exclusion has to be the case.

I think "logic" can include in its reasoning process the factor of a Supreme Self aware God who created us in His image.

Any attempt to define logic as somehow basically Atheistic I would resist. Attempts to maintain that Athiests have a copyright on logic have never been successful in the history of philosophy, I think.

me: I think it would be superstitious to believe otherwise.

tw: Why? You have not given any reasoning to support that.

Yes, I think I do. Your explanation is reminiscent of the animism of some ancient peoples. That is subscribing living spirits to matter of different kinds.

I think of your view as a more modern version of animism. And I think animism is superstitious.

Why would it be superstitious to believe differently from you?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why would it be not logical to believe differently from you ?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Jul 15
2 edits

My objectivity is fine thank you very much ... it is unfortunate you are not capable of recognising the utility of such questions [hidden]hint: you're supposed to try mull them over in your head and come to the realisation that you have no chance in hell in answering them, because for all your blustering and farting about with dictionary definitions, you know precisely jack-***t about souls.[/hidden]
"My objectivity is fine thank you very much ... it is unfortunate you are not capable of recognising the utility of such questions [hint: you're supposed to try mull them over in your head and come to the realisation that you have no chance in hell in answering them, because for all your blustering and farting about with dictionary definitions, you know precisely jack-***t about souls]."

Why, pray tell, hide?

Cape Town

Moves
01 Aug 15

Combine them in any combination you wish at any time past or present. Atoms and molecules still do not think.
I have no doubt at all that in combination, they clearly do. My mind is proof of that. But that is not what you asked about. You asked how the first mind came about.

Matter, by definition, doesn't include the concept of consciousness or other mental features, however you combine it in any complex arrangement.
I say it does in the right arrangement. And you are most definitely wrong that it doesn't 'by definition'. There is nothing in the definition of matter that states that it cannot include the concept of conciousness when arranged certain ways.

Why be in denial about it?
Because it isn't true.

Even if you'd like to label my belief "religious view" a "religious view" may be a truthful one.
I agree. But the possibility that it may be true, doesn't make it 'realistic'. Realistic doesn't mean 'true'. It means based on prior knowledge about reality. That is not how religion works. So a realistic view is quite different from a religious view regardless of how true they may be.

How come you don't speak of "religion" as having "grey edges" ?
You have clearly completely missed the point about 'grey edges'.

Let me try and state it again:
If a definition has grey edges then you cannot assign unique identity to the object in question. I have not said that you cannot talk about the object or that talk of the object is meaningless. I am merely saying that any identity assigned to it is necessarily also grey edged.

Which atom thinks ?
No single atom does.

Which molecule is self aware ?
No single atom does.

In combination, they do as demonstrated by my mind.

Your next post will identify the thinking atom among all atoms.
No, it won't. False dichotomies will not get you anywhere.

Then if there is no dilemma about the mind you should have little trouble in identifying the thinking particles.
Sorry but it simply doesn't follow.

I think it is safe to conclude that you are stumped to explain naturalistically how consciousness arises from non-conscious matter. You already said you didn't know.
Correct, I do not know the exact details. But I equally don't know the exact details of nuclear physics or even how B12 is used by the body. I do not need nor expect a religious explanation for either.

So if you don't know then why do you dismiss looking in a so-called "religious" possibility illegitimate?
I don't. I merely claim that a religious explanation does not automatically follow as being true - which so far seems to be your sole argument. And despite your denials you are using the 'God of the gaps' argument.

Forget evolution - mentioned for the first time here by you, not me.
You asked for an explanation, I gave one. If you don't like it, that's your problem not mine.

Can you take a slab of your brain and post up a photograph of the molecules which form your appreciation for some favorite song?
No, but it will almost certainly be possible in the future. There is clear scientific evidence that memories are stored in the brain and that we can identify exactly where they are stored and even delete or change them. I believe some studies have even demonstrated that they can be copied.

Nope. Colin McGinn a naturalistic philosopher also sees the dilemma:
You misunderstood. I meant that between you and me, only you see the problem, and you have failed completely to state what the problem is. Repeatedly claiming there is a problem won't make a problem appear. Explain what the problem actually is.